• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Empress Superdelay vs. TRex Replica Delay

Dicky

I currently run a TRex Replica delay on my board. I had the pleasure of playing a Empress Superdelay and have been trying to deicde whether or not to make the jump. Just wondering if anyone has any opinion on either. Preference?

bestegw

Although I have never played the Empress Superdelay (have played the T-Rex), that thing does lots more that just Delay-lay-lay-lay. Why not place both pedals on your board (presuming the ca$hflow permits this)?

BTW, that's a fine collection of gear you have there...

lv

Silver Supporting Member
I'd take the Superdelay, unless you must have the super dark repeats that the Replica does so well.

Jet Age Eric

I've been debating the same swap. The most I've gleaned is that the T. Rex sounds a little better and the Empress has a lot more functionality. The sound is the most important thing, so I feel pretty good about having the T. Rex, but I would like to HEAR an Empress. -E

Brantleycoker

well i have both on my board and ill say the replica doesnt get nearly as much use as the empress, i use the replica for all my digital delay needs. it does a great clear strong delay. i use the empress for all my weird stuff like modulation and just whatever i need
there is a stock preset on the empress that is a reverse delay with an octave up!! its rediculous its preset number 4 if you get one. but for my analog delay i use a simple carbon copy. i will say for ambient stuff i love running my empress into my replica, just a thought. heres a pic of my board and how i run them.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
I've been debating the same swap. The most I've gleaned is that the T. Rex sounds a little better and the Empress has a lot more functionality. The sound is the most important thing, so I feel pretty good about having the T. Rex, but I would like to HEAR an Empress. -E
Not at all, they are very different sounding, just a matter of preference. For my taste, the Empress sounds much better, and doesn't mess with the dry tone.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
I really like the Replica and will keep mine, but would tip my hat to the Empress for quality of tone as well as additional functionality compared to the Replica.

rks89

bump. Any other comments on these two? Or maybe a comparison to the vintage modified SD as well?

Last edited:

JUSTJOB

Brantlycoker has it right, there is room for both on a board. The Replica is an excellent sounding delay with a simple easy to use layout, I don't find it dark at all unless the Brown switch is engaged, and it is true bypass so your dry tone stays intact. I love how it can give me clear deep three dimensional delay that never gets in the way of the notes played. Currently I am using my Replica for all of my basic delay needs and using a DD-20 for my modulated and effect type delays. Although, I will at some point probably upgrade the DD-20 to a SuperDelay, but the Replica will remain. Definitely room for both!

judsonabts

well i have both on my board and ill say the replica doesnt get nearly as much use as the empress, i use the replica for all my digital delay needs. it does a great clear strong delay. i use the empress for all my weird stuff like modulation and just whatever i need
there is a stock preset on the empress that is a reverse delay with an octave up!! its rediculous its preset number 4 if you get one. but for my analog delay i use a simple carbon copy. i will say for ambient stuff i love running my empress into my replica, just a thought. heres a pic of my board and how i run them.
sorry, off topic.. but how do you like the Top Boost in a Can with the OCD and Tim?

I have the OCD and Timmy and was thinking about the TBIAC because I miss the sound of my vox

dtirer

Not too into either actually. The Empress converts your dry signal to digital.

The TRex does sound great, but I had some terrible reliability experiences with mine...

dtirer

I think it's a 'relay' true bypass, so it's not a hard wired one.

With the T Rex, I would get these LOUD blasts of white noise when I would turn it on sometimes. Was not so good in mid performance (quiet sections).

When I emailed T Rex about it, they said they are aware of the problem and there's nothing they can do. The delays sounded so good, they figured it was worth the sacrifice and have loud blasts of noise.

...doesn't seem very professional to me

rks89

I ordered the replica a while back and it sounds good, I actually dig the brown switch a lot. But, for what it's worth, I just didn't feel like the bang for the buck was there. PGS sent me an email saying the Vintage mod superdelay was back in stock so I pulled the trigger. I realize it's even more, but it has much more options and I'm hoping it satisfies more of my delay pallet than what the replica could.

I actually traded the Replica for the Super Delay. The tone of the T-Rex was better in my opinion. I like the overall feel and sound of the repeats on the Replica, but I enjoy the options the Empress has to offer.

SillyWabbit

Help!!! I'm trying to decide on my first delay pedal and I've narrowed it down to these two. As of now I'm leaning towards the Empress but I've only been able to judge by demo videos. The empress sounds a little warmer and just allows you to do so much more BUT I can get a t rex for $320 vs $460 for the Empress. What should I do>!??

lux_interior

Sure. The search function! :D Anyway, the Replica is a classic quality delay but nowadays it is WAY overpriced for what it offers. When it came out, we were not flooded with so many quality tap tempo delays, but T Rex need to wake up and realize that today's reality is very, very different. I would consider a Replica if I could get it for half that price, but beyond that it really depends on what you need from your delay... and the person that can answer this is you and not us!

tnt365

Superdelay, easy. Way too many awesome delays with more features and great tone to justify the price of the Replica. BTW, the guitarist of my favorite band uses both the Replica and the Superdelay. I own the VM Superdelay and use it for everything, tape, reverse, swells, weird effects. It's got so many options and 8 presets, so it really is a big contender for an "end all" delay. I use a Skreddy Echo for more ambient stuff and my "real" tape tone. The VMSD isn't as good tone-wise as the Skrecho at "tape" tones IMO, but its functionality and relatively great tone make it a keeper. I've tried kicking one or the other off my board, but one cannot replace the other IMO.

Last edited:

Trending Topics