Empress Tape Delay - Noisy with 1 Spot

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
Mine was noisy with a 1spot and not with my PP2+. In my experience almost everything is noisy with a 1 spot except tuners.

Last edited:

petty1818

Mine was noisy with a 1spot and not with my PP2+. In my experience almost everything is noisy with a 1 spot except tuners.

I thought the Iso-5 would fix the problem but it didn't get rid of the noise. I might just be very picky but it's noticeable when I take the ETD out of the signal.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
sounds like an internal grounding problem, to me.
Does anyone have internal pics? It'd be fun to trace out their grounding scheme and see if there are any connections which could be tightened. A little digital noise on a small-signal analog ground will result in noise.

IRG

I gave it a try in true bypass mode and the pedal is now silent when off but when I engage it, the hiss comes back. For those not hearing any noise, you should try unplugging the Empress from your chain and see if your signal becomes a little cleaner.

FWIW, I've noticed lately that my signal is not cleaner, but it does seem a lot louder. Like I keep looking at my amps to see if the master volumes got nudged up, weird. I don't think taking out the ETD is doing that, but there is volume control on the ETD, maybe I had it set too low.

la noise

Maybe you need to adjust the headroom within the ETD itself. It could be set in such
a way that it is adding noise to your chain. I am sure there is an ideal setting for
maximum signal-to-noise ratio.

On a related note. I just traded for another ETD that arrived last night. I had sold my
previous one to check out the AEX4 from TC and PGS. Glad to have the ETD back. It
sounds SO GOOD... and works perfect for what I need and require.

And yes again on isolated power. ETD does not like daisy-chained power.

petty1818

Maybe you need to adjust the headroom within the ETD itself. It could be set in such
a way that it is adding noise to your chain. I am sure there is an ideal setting for
maximum signal-to-noise ratio.

On a related note. I just traded for another ETD that arrived last night. I had sold my
previous one to check out the AEX4 from TC and PGS. Glad to have the ETD back. It
sounds SO GOOD... and works perfect for what I need and require.

And yes again on isolated power. ETD does not like daisy-chained power.

I tried the internal headroom switch and it didn't help. Also, I have never daisy chained the Empress, I was using the one spot only with the Empress. There's definitely noise with the pedal though. It increases when I turn up the volume control. However, even with the volume all the way down there's still hiss. I am planning to sell it and go for the Diamond Memory Lane jr.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I just trade for an Empress. Using mine with a Godlyke powerall, so far, just the pedal on that power supply. No noise at all.
MD

DStout

My Tape Delay was a bit noisy with other pedals daisy chained with a 1 spot. Since I power it with a Cioks Adam it is quiet.

teefus

never noticed any noise with my etd running on my pp2+. you have to use one of the outlets that can supply 300mv, iirc it's #5 or #6. do you have any pedals in front of or behind it?

petty1818

never noticed any noise with my etd running on my pp2+. you have to use one of the outlets that can supply 300mv, iirc it's #5 or #6. do you have any pedals in front of or behind it?

I have been testing it with just my guitar running into it and the pedal into my amp and the noise is there. I switched to true bypass and the noise is gone when the pedal is not engaged but once I click it on the hiss comes back. I know this isn't just my pedal because a few people have mentioned this same issue.

I have tried it with the One spot, Iso-5 and PP2+ and nothing has fixed the noise.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom