• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Empress Tape Delay vs Diamond Memory Lane Jr

LITHIUM

Hi guys ! Im about to choose between these 2 babies and im confused... this is to go along my Boss DD20 and replace a Boss DM2. To my ears the ETD seems a lot brighter. The MLJr sounds more flattering but it also seems less versatile. My using will be enlighting "solo" parts and some dotted eigths licks but I also like nice oscillations for ending songs...

Any advice ? I can have them for the same price. Thanks !

jamesie

I´m using the Empress Tape Delay and like it very much - for this small box it´s very versatile, there is a LP and HP filter too and if it´s sounding too bright. . . . .the modulations are really nice but it´s always a matter of taste which one to buy.

CEFlint

I got the Empress a year or two back and liked it very much. However, on some gainy settings, or at medium levels of compression, there was an obvious "click" associated with the tempo. Not so much that you could hear it live, but it was there.

I did like the preset options, but using them took away the tap, which I used more. Also, programming the different patches did require a bit of a learning curve and didn't really follow a very logical process. I soon realized that I really didn't need the presets so much.

That said, the Empress did sound very good at most settings.

Earlier this year, I picked up the ML Jr. With my setups, the ML Jr had a beautiful sound that I prefer much more than the Empress. Nice features include the tap switch hold feature which can double the tempo. Also, the subdivisions switch can be accessed with your toe, if you're careful and sober. Subdivisions on the Empress

Both are solid builds, but I felt the Empress was a bit more delicate. Some of this is probably just my impression because of the smaller knobs and the tiny switches. ML Jr more of a "get it done" build. Sturdy knobs and switches. As for powering requirements, the Empress pulls 280 mA. The Diamond pulls 70 mA. This was a consideration for me, because I'll occasionally run from a Pedal Juice or Volto battery pack.

In the end, I sold the Empress and am still using and loving the ML Jr.

-Empire

MLJr is also my favorite delay of all time. I wish I could use it for everything but it doesn't have presets so I have to stick with the Timefactor, which is still very good and very usable live.

witafro2

ML JR is also my favorite delay. Repeats are so musical. Not as lush as Memory Man but still have a nice presence to them. It will not however oscillate so if that's a game changer for you go with the empress.

jwny72

I've never played with the Empress, but I love my ML Jr. It's bone simple, yet quite versatile, and sounds wonderful. It has a great sounding buffer too.

LITHIUM

Amazing guys, thanks a lot ! As I excepted, there seems to be a preference here for the Diamond.

Here's a couple secondary questions about it though :
- does it oscillate ?
- "soft" switch or not ?

Last edited:

El Phaco

I really like some digital delays (just can't put my Echolution 2 off my board), but as far as it's about oscillation, nothing beats analog delays imho. You may like a DMMTT. The 550ms version should be quite affordable used, if budget is an issue.

Last edited:

fenix899

@LITHIUM to answer your questions:

1. No it does not self oscillate
2. The tap tempo switch is a soft switch (I think some earlier versions didn't have the soft switch but someone needs to verify this for me), but the bypass switch is a regular switch

Do bear in mind that if you set it to buffered bypass, there will be no pop when you engage the bypass switch.

LITHIUM

I'm currently watching videos after videos to make my final choice... One thing I didn't check before was the powering : 280mA for the ETD vs. 70mA for the MLJr that's a huge difference... Here's my thoughts :

ETD +
versatile
soft switch
presets
oscillations
ETD -
too bright ?
powering consumption
-----------------------------------
MLJr +
Warm
Easy to dial
powering consumption

MLJr -
No presets
No "crazyness" (no oscillation, no delay pitch when changing time on fly, except on 4th mode)

Man that's hard...

miklet

I think there are two other points in favor of the ETD:
- the addition of an external tap tempo seems to be very easy. It is then possible to use the "tap switch" of the pedal to scroll through the 3 presets while using the external tap tempo
- high/low pass switch and tape age switch are very useful to control the tone of the repeats (backward or forward in the mix)

CEFlint

@LITHIUM to answer your questions:

1. No it does not self oscillate
2. The tap tempo switch is a soft switch (I think some earlier versions didn't have the soft switch but someone needs to verify this for me), but the bypass switch is a regular switch

Do bear in mind that if you set it to buffered bypass, there will be no pop when you engage the bypass switch.
Pretty sure it's the Empress Superdelay that has the expression jack for external tap, but the Tape Delay does not. Tap and presets can't be used at the same time on the Tape Delay.

LITHIUM

What miklet meant was you can quite easily mod your pedal to instal an external tap tempo. I've read some stuff about it either.

I've finally made my choice : Diamond Memory Lane Jr it is ! What decided me was : creamier sound, nice modulation, power consumption and simplicity. There must be better out there, but all the positive comments really help me to choose. Thanks again !

TheGuildedAge

I had them both at the same time. Really tough call. Both sound superb.

The modulation on the Empress is set, whereas the Diamond you can tweak it for crazy.

I would be happy with either.

I have the Vintage Modified now, though I am actually thinking of moving it to try analog again.

thkh

I love my ML Jr. It replaced the Timeline's spot as a dedicated delay and it now hangs with two H9s.

LITHIUM

Ok guys I think I just fell in love... I'm just done playing a few times with my new MLJr and damn... It does sound good. It's warm, full, detailled, with a rich texture and every sound you play out of this pedal is fantastic. I'm aware it must be the honey moon effect but I'm almost sure that is a keeper. Thanks for all advices, right now I have to re-arrange my pedalboard so that this gem stands right under my feet cause I know it's going to be my 1st delay, my DD-20 used for all the other classic stuff.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom