Empress Trem Issue, help please...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, May 8, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

First off, Steve has my Empress Trem in for repair/warranty work but did not find any issues with it like we had expected (depth pot going to full "0", faulty optoresistor). So I thought I'de post here and get some other user feedback.

Man, I love this trem, it is so musical and sweet sounding clean or dirty. Plenty of features but not overloaded. The one issue I'm having though, is on the square wave form, depth knob full on and speed anywhere (slow or fast; slow is more apparant), I can't get that hard chop or stutter like the TR-2 can.

When I hit a note or chord, it's almost like I'm hearing the signal sustaining underneath the trem effect, like bleedthrough almost. Or like the depth knob isn't cutting off the sound 100%. It's apparent on both clean and dirty tones but moreso with gain.

I realize the subtleness or strongness of the effect will be more or less apparant when running in front of the amp or in a loop. I'm running in front..but at a slow rate and full depth, the volume/signal should be dropping out totally right, no matter the signal chain?

Help me out here guys, try it out, tell me your results. Is it just the way it is or does my Empress have issues?

2. HBob

HBob Member

I just tried mine and it completely cuts the signal between chops on the square wave. The middle setting does too. The far right doesn't really have a "gap" in the sweep but that's the nature or a true sine wave.

3. jamison162

You mean far left, "triangle"?

4. claffman

claffman Member

If you have any dirt pushing the front of it the chop loses it edge. I have the same deal. If you lose the boost in front it's perfect. I haven't done the loop yet. Late but I hope it helps. ( I love that thing! )

5. HBob

HBob Member

Yes, if you're looking at it from the top it's the setting to the left ( gotta get that right -left thing down :crazy ) and that is the triangle wave. I guess it makes sense that the triangle setting would have even a smaller amount of gap than the sine when you look at "pictures" of the waves.

6. jamison162

But I'm running in front. Guitar>Trem>Amp

7. Galapogos17

Galapogos17 Gold Supporting Member

I just checked mine and with the depth maxed it cuts the sound in and out, no bleed.

8. jamison162

Hmm, interesting. I'm gonna emial Steve a link to this thread.

9. jamison162

Still no word from Steve, anyone else?

10. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

hey man, I read this thread a while ago and tried out my trem.

It also completely cuts the signal...

11. jamison162

Ok, Steve did say a couple weeks ago he couldn't recreate the problem I was describing. He still has it though. If he can't fix it or offer to go ahead and replace it, I'll try to do some clips when I get it back so all can hear exactly what I'm talking about.

Guitar>Trem>Amp, doesn't get any simpler. It either completely cuts the signal or it doesn't (full depth). I don't see a whole lot of room for error with this setup. The trem is the controlling factor whether a signal is heard or not. I'll demo it on fast and slow depths, all waveforms with the depth full on.

12. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hi,
    I got curious and tried my Empress too. No problem, works just fine. At Choppy (square wave) setting, depth full, slow rate - the trem totally cuts the sound. Dead silent inbetween the loud peaks.

Good luck/C

13. jamison162

Steve just emailed and is sending me a brand new unit, these guys are great.

14. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

yeah, i use that chop all the time and i've never had a problem with it. good thing he sent you a new one, i love empress.

15. jamison162

Got a brand new Empress in last week, all is well.