Emu 1820

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by renico00, Sep 6, 2004.

1. renico00

renico00 Member

Does anyone use one of these? If so, what are your thoughts? (Ed, don't you have one?) I'm currently running a AMD 2600 Barton and a Via KT400 mobo. I was looking around to see if there were any known problems between my mobo and the 1820. I don't need a bunch of inputs, just a couple for guitars.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

The EMU folks mention that the most testing for stability has been on Intel brand, Intel chipset motherboards, but many folks are successfully using AMD platforms.

There's an unofficial forum over on www.productionforums.com/emu

The 1820m I think has possibly slightly better A/D converters, but the 1820 gives you a couple of on-board TF (Ted Fletcher) designed preamps.

I have the 1212m, but if I were going with the 1820 family, I'd go with the 1820m for the better converters, and add eternal off-board preamps.

Also, if you're doing the Emulator-X sampling package, might want to consider the "m" versions.

3. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

2500+ Barton core on y AMD...no issue with the 1820M except it takes out the key command for undo in Nuendo2.

4. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I have an EMU-1820m that I use with an AMD-Athlon based system (Asus A7N8X-E deluxe mobo, 2500+) I built myself,....it works great and sounds awesome, and I haven't had a single problem it. The preamps sound really good, but for vocals and acoustic guitar I prefer using my ART Pro Channel tube mic preamp. Did a lot of research before buying and I'm really happy I chose the EMU.

5. renico00

renico00 Member

Thanks. When I'm ready to buy I think I'll be going with the 1820M, maybe the 1820.

Jeff