Emulating a Tone Pot Using a Resistor + Treble Bleed

fechart

Hi,

Long story short, I got this maple body and neck Kramer The 84, which has just one humbucker and a volume pot. The guitar, stock, is trebly as hell, and has a stratty quack thing going on that drives me crazy... So, I started modding the circuit and swapping pups, the only way I found it sounds good is adding a dummy 250k tone pot (set to 100%, no roll off) inside the cavity.

What I'd like to do now is finding a neater solution, like adding a resistor to "emulate" the effect of the tone pot. But at the same time I'd like a treble bleed mod. Is this possible? Or not compatible? I'd like to know resistance and cap values, and how to connect everything.

Thanks in advance and cheers!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
what's the volume pot itself?

if it's a 500k and that's too bright you could just slap a 250k volume in there, that'll both sound smoother and have a better sweep when you turn it down.

fechart

what's the volume pot itself?

if it's a 500k and that's too bright you could just slap a 250k volume in there, that'll both sound smoother and have a better sweep when you turn it down.
Hi, the stock volume pot is a 500k linear push pull. I replaced it with a 500k EVH Low Friction (Audio Taper) , then with a 250k EVH as well. Didn't get good results, the difference was extremely subtle with 250k.

I left the 500k EVH and added the 250k tone pot. There I found a difference, the tone was much better. I'd like to replace that dummy tone pot with aresistor anyway, if there's a way to do that, adding a treble bleed circuit at the same time...

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Solder a 22n cap in series with a 470K resistor between the hot of the pickup and ground. That's your simulated tone pot on '10.'

Technically you don't really need the cap because its not doing much when the pot is at max but lots of people think it cant be right without the cap so its better to just put it in and not worry about the 'what ifs' of your imaginary tone pot.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I left the 500k EVH and added the 250k tone pot. There I found a difference, the tone was much better.
This means you're liking the load to be to even lower than 250k.

I recommend throwing the 250k volume back in and adding a resistor to that to get your overall sound. A 500k resistor across the two outer lugs of a 250k volume will put you right where you are now but with a better sweep from the lower-value pot.

fechart

This means you're liking the load to be to even lower than 250k.

I recommend throwing the 250k volume back in and adding a resistor to that to get your overall sound. A 500k resistor across the two outer lugs of a 250k volume will put you right where you are now but with a better sweep from the lower-value pot.
Thanks mate, I appreciate your info very much. It's a pity that I already ordered a couple of 500k CTS low torque push pulls... In some countries that wouldn't be an issue, but here in Uruguay you can't get high quality parts, so I ordered from USA... I'd have to order again a couple of 250k push pulls! The 500k's didn't arrive yet, but when they do I'll give one a shot (I speak of couples because once I order to USA I like to have a spare one just in case!). Maybe I'll try different resistor values. I do have access to resistors here LOL! I'll report back! Cheers!

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe I'll try different resistor values. I do have access to resistors here LOL!
Take a spare pot of any value (250 or up), wire it as a variable resistor, clip it into place from hot to ground, and adjust it until you are happy.
Measure it at that setting and then replace it with resistor of that value.

Trending Topics