Enamel Spray Paint

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Larry Wallwart, Aug 22, 2005.

1. other than taking forever to dry are there reasons I should avoid enamel spray paint for a guitar body? I'm not looking for a glossy, pro looking finish.

2. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

well, you can get nitrocellulose finishes in spray can form
    http://www.reranch.com/

not sure if you're interested or not, thought i'd post anyways.

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

Other than that it kills tone(resonance) and looks like ass, it's a great idea!

4. John Bell

John Bell Member

You might as well cover it in duct tape.

5. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

grey duct tape or the new clear duct tape, which sounds better? :p

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

Thanks for that link ;)

7. John Bell

John Bell Member

I'm not sure .lets ask Eric Johnson........:eek:

8. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

my guess is the clear tape is more transparent
    and the grey sounds slightly metallic

9. I did that to my drums.....

10. mudnuts

mudnuts Member

I beg to differ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18 coats - 4 primer, 4 coats of copper metal flake Rustoleum (from Ace hardware) and 10 coats of crystal clear enamel. All spray cans, sprayed outside, over the winter.

It sounds amazing. Vintage RI Tele neck on aftermarket strat body, SD vintage lipstick, Fender Mexican center pickup (I have a SD cover on it), and SD Pearly Gates HB.

It does take a long time to dry - it was a couple weeks before I quit smelling it in the house, and it may not be as hard a finish, but it rings like an acoustic and it cost only $20.00 in paint.

The key is to wet sand with every coat. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get a good paint job from enamel cans. If someone says that, they have never really tried or they are lazy. As far as tone goes, this one sounds better and is more versatile in tone than all of my other factory strats - American and Mexican.

- Mud

11. kimonostereo

kimonostereo Member

I've painted a few guitars with enamel with no problems. They sounded the same as they did before they were painted with enamel. I think it's hard to prove the finish on a bolt-on body plays a large role in sonic qualities when you plug the instrument in.

I also painted a guitar in the 80's the same color as Stevie Vai's Green Meanie / Dweezil Zappa's main axe with a can of Varathane Colors in Plastic (i think it was varathane...) that thing didn't dry for 3 months but it looked nice and sounded the same after it was painted. I compared it to a recording I did on my 4 track machine to see if the paint made a difference. Didn't notice any real difference... i thought it looked cool though....

12. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I find it funny myself that people think the kind of finish on an electric guitar can really make a noticeable difference in tone. For christ sake EVH used schwinn bike paint on his frankenstrat and his early sound kills anyones IMO. Another thing that people make a big ta do about is the kind of wood bodies are made of which probably have less effect then most people think. For christ sake again the pickups which are the microphones in the electric guitar are generally mounted to plastic rings or a pickgard they don't even touch the wood. Maybe I'm crazy but it seems just like common sense. Just my philosophys so take it with a grain of salt.

13. kimonostereo

kimonostereo Member

I wish I could still get schwinn bike paint. My local bike shop had that in the 80's and I painted my guitar a nice pearly white candy color. I was so disappointed that it looked like styrofoam when I was done though. I had NO CLUE I was supposed to spray a clear coat over it. I just kept spraying it on the body hoping it would get glossy.

Later it started to yellow and flake off. It's hard to find a nice pearlecent white in a can now...