• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

End The Tap Dance

poOk

Greetings all,

I'm a very green guitar enthusiast (not sure if you can call me a player yet). I'm attaching a pic of my current setup. I've very interested in videos I see where doods and doodetts alike use what I call a "smart board". This is where a looper switch pedal is used in conjuction with another selector pedal (including global tap tempo). My question is, how do I accoplish this?

I want 3 or 4 global board settings. Like the first setting [heavy swells] engages my light OD + tremelo + delay + reverb all set to a certain bpm (or able to tap it out if tempo changes in flight). second setting [rhythm] engages medium OD + boost + light plate reverb + slap delay setting all set to a certain bpm, etc. and so on...

Is this even possible?

Where do I begin to research this? In short, I don't like tap dancing. Should I hang up my guitar and go back to keys? Or, is there a way? Show me the way! LOL...ugh.

Jules-RM

Well, none of your pedals are midi capable, so having specific time settings is not going to work.

So you either need to buy more pedals and set those, or sell your non midi pedals and buy midi ones.

Or you can buy pedals with presets... but generally those are also midi capable, apart from my Empress Tape Delay and Nebulus.

Gibs210

First you need pedals that are MIDI capable if you want them to all sync up to a certain BPM (MIDI clock as it's known in this application). None of the pedal you have currently are capable of doing this. There are ways of syncing up pedals with a simple master tap switch, or the more capable/reliable smart tap switches from companies like disaster area, tapestry audio, and selah effects. But they still require the effect you wish to sync up to connect with either a 1/4" tap tempo input jack, or MIDI jack, which none of those tc electronic pedals have (nor can you modify them to accept external tempo).

As for a smart looper, for selecting a bank of effects with one switch, that is still possible with a number of different programmable loopers, but most are expensive, exception being the above mentioned monoprice, but it only has 4 channels, making it hard to use with your board unless you pick and choose what you really need in the programmable looper, that and it isn't MIDI capable.

There are cheaper solutions in a analog true bypass looper, but they won't quite do what your looking for.

NHBluesMan

you could create your with something like this

as others have said, you'd need MIDI for your other desires, but this has a built in tap tempo, enough loops for all but 1 of your pedals, and a tuner out. Probably one of the more simple options for your desires

CaptainAwesome

It definitely is a stupid username
Silver Supporting Member
It's not getting a lot of buzz here on the effects page (being that it's a digital modeler), but I'm really liking the Fractal Audio FX8. Yes, the digital dirt is not quite there vs. analog pedals, but it's easily the best I've heard and more than sufficient for my hobbyist needs right now. It's expensive, but if you compare the cost of buying all new midi pedals, a midi looper/control, etc. it's a wash or maybe even cheaper (I was net positive when I sold off what it replaced).

Nota

Since you're a newer player and new to gear, don't spend $2,000 on stuff you don't know you don't need. Get a cheap, older multi-fx unit, like a Line6 POD XT Live or something, for $200. They still sound great, and you will learn a lot about FX routing, interfacing, presets, even tube amps and their different sounds.

Once you play that for a year or two, and get really familiar with what you actually need, drop me a line to thank me for saving you $1,800. Then re-evaluate what you actually want in a pedalboard, and go for that :)

Gibs210

Chase bliss gravitas, but you would need the empress MIDI box with it, but. As stated earlier, If you got something like the smart clock, you wouldn't need all of your devices to be MIDI capable to sync up their timing, so then any tremolo with tap tempo and an external tap jack would work. Which most tap tempo pedals can be modified to except an external tap source.

DaveKS

How would you accomplish this with your keyboard setup? Answers are pretty much the same, patch changes, midi presets and CC messages. Only thing that changes are that the devices used are usually floor pedal based. If your like most keyboard players you've probably already got rack modules capable of implementing the bpm delays etc.

Look at devices like Decible Eleven Switch Dr.

Trending Topics