Endless Clean Sustain Pedal (not "compressor")?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Timbre Wolf, May 16, 2006.

1. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I think someone posted some sound clips here demo-ing a "mystery" pedal that held clean notes for some outrageous sustain. The pedal turned out to be something unexpected - not a "compressor," per se.

Probably lost the thread in the crash, 'cause now I can't find it. I'm wondering if anyone remembers what the pedal was? Or, perhaps the original poster can post the clips again, if they were truly lost? It was an intriguing effect.

Thanks!

- T

2. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I remember that thread. I believe it was a Line 6 ToneCore Dr. Distorto pedal using the feedback/sustain feature with the gain turned down. Hopefully the original poster will chime in to confirm.

David

3. fatback

fatback Member

Sounds like a comp in wolfs clothing to me... ;)

The only answers to your original question seem to be VOLUME (power tube compression), an Ebow, or a Sustainiac type pickup or device.

Why not a compressor? The most nutso clean-sustain comp I've tried is the old tc sustainer/eq ...freaky clean sustain, minus the pick attack.

I'd love to hear the clips you described though.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 to what dajbro said. I tried out a Dr. Distorto at the store, and had a blast with the sustain feature

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I use a Walco Chord & Note Sustainer for hammond emulation (along with a Deluxe Memory Man, E-H POG, AnalogMan CompROSSor and a Leslie cabinet)... it is noisy, low-fi, compresses the **** out of everything, makes the signal way louder than before, has no controls for output or anything else... However, it makes the "organ" tone very distinctly different sounding than my regular guitar sound- there is no attack... as far as a clear sounding clean but not compressor to have "endless sustain," I'm not sure. The E-H HOG has a "freeze" feature, it will hold a chord or note or notes for as long as you have your foot down, it's kind of like a MicroSynth and POG that can do a lot of weird stuff... I want one, the freeze feature being a really big reason, but also I could have it set differently than the POG (which is best for me doing organ emulation, the HOG would be more fun for stranger sounds- or running into the POG). There is an extension footswitch that you can hook up with 6 presets of your own settings- very cool. I really want one. Every time I think about it.

If you get your amp cranked and use a good clean booster (or not as clean), you can get a pretty good sustain if it's "working" with the amp... almost all feedback, but more like it's just listening...)

6. Timbre Wolf

Thanks, David. I'd never have been able to recall that pedal's name. I'll have to check it out. :BEER

- T

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Sounds like it might be a quieter running replacement for the Walco... I didn't find anything else that was like that... do you have to press the Dr. Distorto for each held thing, or does it just sustain what is being played? The Walco just compresses and boosts it and it sort of feeds back on istelf and will hold a chord with you...

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

for the Dr. Distorto to sustain, it only has to be on (and set properly).

9. Timbre Wolf

Hopefully the original poster will repost clips, 'cause I'd like to hear them again too.

Compressors can certainly help sustain, the only problem is that the signal becomes compressed - I don't want that. I know all about the amp's volume knob and power-tube compression (plus AlNiCo speaker compression), and E-bows and Fernandes sustainers, but this is something different, I believe. As I recall, this effect did an non-compressed sustain. Line 6 calls this a "unique harmonic sustainer circuit," and, it seems, rightly so.

- T

10. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Original post was from LeonC IIRC ...

11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, that was me. Good memory illinimax!!

Here's the clip I recorded.. It was recorded dead clean at super low volume. You could easily talk above the volume that this was recorded at.

It's not so much sustain as it is feedback...or harmonically simulated feedback. What I've noted is that it does enable you to get feedback on the tonic at just about any volume level. It sounds better if you can turn up a little bit..but w/a little more volume behind it, it sounds and feels a bit more "real".

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

That's kind of like a better version of the Walco... I must try one... Does it work on chords or just single notes? That might be where I keep the Walco, but I'm open to trying a Dr. D.

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Well, I don't believe it works on chords, which I need. I read some unsavory reviews on H-C, eh... it was still mighty hard to avoid buying one at http://www.elderly.com for $29.99.. Let me know if it does in fact work on chords and I'll snatch one up. The Walco does work on chords, but don't expect it to retain the original sound or be quiet... I still like it for what it does. I will have a HOG at some point, which has the "freeze" feature.

14. fatback

fatback Member

:AOK

Nice clip Leon. That is an cool effect, getting harmonic feedback with a twangy clean tone.

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think this is a direct ofshoot of the Boss DF2, distortion feedbacker circuit. I'd always assumed that it was a digital pedal, but could be anything. The trick is that it sustains when you press on the pedal, then lets off when you let off. So you can pick and choose what notes you want to hold onto, unlike the Ebow which does it to all notes. Not sure if the DF2 can do clean (been WAYYY to long since I played one).

16. Timbre Wolf

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout :AOK Thanks Leon!!

Couple of questions:
    - does the effect allow you to still play with picking dynamics? There's not any compression/limiting going on, is there?

- like nashvillesteve, I wonder - can you sustain chords?

- it seems it is on all during your clip, and you activate it by holding a note for a moment: is this true?

I think the $30 pricing is misleading - you need a Line 6 "dock" pedal ($70) for the $30 module. Or you can buy a dedicated Dr. Distorto pedal for around $100, if I understand correctly. Still, if dynamics are preserved, that's a very cool effect!

- T

17. Leonc

drbob - On the DF2, can you dial out the distortion so that you're really just using the feedback part of the circuit? I do like the idea of it using a momentary switch rather than latching, that would be a nice option.

fatback - thanks!

18. Leonc

No problems with picking dynamics. There's no compression involved, from what I can tell. There does seem to be something like limiting going on w/rt the feedback effect itself. You notice it less if you can play at "normal" volume. I've not experimented with chords a lot. At low volume it didn't work very well.

Yes, I think I ran the pedal on through the entire clip. It kicks in when you hold a note. You can set the threshold for how long before it kicks in so that it's right away or longer, as I did in the clip.

I got mine used on EBay, well under a 100. Great little effect for the dough. I'd say, go to your local GC and try one out. Or buy it from a store with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee...can't really lose.

19. Timbre Wolf

I think I'll have to try it soon. I rarely use any effects pedals, but this is quite compelling. Honestly, the name "Dr. Distorto" (embarrassing, if you ask me) would have never caught my attention if you had not done the clean sustain demo clip. Many thanks!!!

- T

20. Leonc

Yeah...dumb name. The only reason I found out about it was I was with a buddy who was given a bunch of the Tonecore pedals to evaluate (AndyZ) and we sat there going through all of them. The reverb pedal was surprisingly good, as is the Crunchtone pedal.