Energy Drinks

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by david henman, Dec 23, 2009.

1. david henman

david henman Member

...a couple of times recently i tried sipping an energy drink (red bull, or something) before a set. the experience was absolutely amazing!

i've been wondering about using them to get "up" for a recording session, or even for writing.

but...

back in the 70s we used to pop 5 mg amphetamines before a show. really smoothed things. but i was warned by a friend that it would cause irreperable physical harm, so i tossed them and haven't touched a chemical stimulant since.

these days, it seems everyone uses energy drinks, although perhaps its mostly younger folk who still have nine lives left.

does anyone know about the potential harmful effects of energy drinks?

do they fall under the category of no harm in moderation?

are they to be avoided completely in respect to health issues?

are there safe, perhaps herbal, stimulants?

-dh

2. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I can't even drink coffee without doing backflips. Energy drinks would send me into orbit. lol

3. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about it at all. basically they are mostly caffeine and sugar. If you don't have a problem with either of these things, certainly a red bull before a show would hardly be an issue.
    Like anything, if you drank them all day long every day that would be pretty unhealthful, simply because of all the empty calories and blood sugar spiking you would get from too much sugar and caffeine.

4. germs

germs Member

I don't drink coffee. I find that I need too much sugar and cream to flavor it to my liking.

Instead I drink "sugar-free" or "lo-carb" or whatever energy drinks. Been on a Monster Lo Carb kick lately. But that's just to get kickstarted in the mornings.

When I was playing 3-4 nights a week doing all-niters, I would sometimes drink a "full flavor" drink before going on...but that was just to make it through the set. Not to increase my energy/presence levels on stage.

Back in highschool on the football team, we used to take mini-thins - which were essentially 5mg uppers that had the useful side effect of reducing lactic acid buildup in muscles, as long as you were drinking water. I'd like to get my hands on some now, as they are completely legal, and try some of that before going on stage.

5. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I used to drink Redbull and Crown Royal the first set on Friday night gigs to give me a pickup after a long week of work.

I don't drink Redbull anymore. Switched over to FRS. Gave up the crown too.

6. david henman

david henman Member

...i have access to bawls energy drinks at my studio. i'm going to give them a try next time i track vocals or guitars.

stay tuned...

-dh

7. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I see all kinds of youngsters gulping down redbull & booze cocktails...whatta waste of booze! I like my booze straight without some caffeine/sugar crap in it!

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

anything less than crystal meth is pointless.

9. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest Supporting Member

You're not going to get any good advice here.

You're asking a bunch of rock and rollers, including many former and current illegal drug users. Consider your panel. :D

10. david henman

david henman Member

...exactly! the perfect sounding board, in other words.

:)

11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Red Bull contains taurine, glucuronolactone, caffeine, lysine, inositol, sucrose, glucose, nicotinamide, vitamin B6, and trace amounts of vitamin B12 and cocaine (below pharmacological relevant levels...also found is Pepsi and Coke). A review (Ref 1) published in 2008 found no documented reports of negative health effects associated with the taurine used in the amounts found in most energy drinks, including Red Bull. A paper (Ref 2) in 2009 indicated a modest control of blood pressure spikes in response to stress and increased pain threshhold.

I think its tastes a little weird, but have had it now and then. Not before playing music, though.

DS

Ref 1) Clauson KA, Shields KM, McQueen CE, Persad N. Safety issues associated with commercially available energy drinks. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2008 48(3):e55-63 PubMed PMID: 18595815.

OBJECTIVE: To describe benefits and adverse effects associated with the
    consumption of energy drinks. DATA SOURCES: Searches were conducted using Medline, IPA (International Pharmaceutical Abstracts), EMBASE, and MANTIS; databases such as Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database, Natural Standard, ALTMEDEX, and AltHealthWatch; and Google (range 1980 to September 2007). Search terms included energy drink, Red Bull, caffeine, glucose, ginseng, guarana, taurine, and bitter orange. DATA SYNTHESIS: Most energy drinks contain natural products such as guarana, ginseng, and taurine. As much as 80 to 300 mg of caffeine and 35 grams of processed sugar per 8-ounce serving are commonly present in energy drinks such as Cocaine, Pimp Juice, Red Bull, and Spike Shooter. No reports were identified of negative effects associated with taurine, ginseng, and guarana used in the amounts found in most energy drinks. Commonly reported adverse effects seen with caffeine in the quantities present in most energy drinks are insomnia, nervousness, headache, and tachycardia. Four documented case reports of caffeine-associated deaths were found, as well as four separate cases of seizures associated with the consumption of energy drinks. CONCLUSION: The amounts of guarana, taurine, and ginseng found in popular energy drinks are far below the amounts expected to deliver either therapeutic benefits or adverse events. However, caffeine and sugar are present in amounts known to cause a variety of adverse health effects.
    PMID: 18595815 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Ref 2) Effect of Red Bull energy drink on cardiovascular and renal function. Amino Acids. 2009 Aug 4. [Epub ahead of print]

Energy drink consumption has been anecdotally linked to the development of adverse cardiovascular effects in consumers, although clinical trials to support this link are lacking. The effects of Red Bull energy drink on cardiovascular and neurologic functions were examined in college-aged students enrolled at Winona State University. In a double-blind experiment where normal calorie and low calorie Red Bull were compared to normal and low calorie placebos, no changes in overall cardiovascular function nor blood glucose (mg/dL) were recorded in any participant (n = 68) throughout a 2-h test period. However, in the second experiment, nine male and twelve female participants subjected to a cold pressor test (CPT) before and after Red Bull consumption showed a significant increase in blood sugar levels pre- and post Red Bull consumption. There was a significant increase in diastolic blood pressure of the male volunteers immediately after submersion of the hand in the 5 degrees C water for the CPT. Under the influence of Red Bull, the increase in diastolic pressure for the male participants during the CPT was negated. There were no significant changes in the blood pressure of the female participants for the CPT with or without Red Bull. Finally, the CPT was used to evaluate pain threshold and pain tolerance before and after Red Bull consumption. Red Bull consumption was associated with a significant increase in pain tolerance in all participants. These findings suggest that Red Bull consumption ameliorates changes in blood pressure during stressful experiences and increases the participants' pain tolerance.
    PMID: 19653067 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  12. Goldie295

Goldie295 Senior Member

Whatever happened to having a few beers before getting up ??

13. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

i still follow this tradition :stir

14. The Kid

The Kid Member

Redbull tastes like wet car keys to me.

15. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

A friend of mine was drinking one of the BIG Monster energy drinks every day for nearly a month. He started feeling pain in his lower back, went to the doctor and he was having kidney problems. He has to go to dialysis now for 2 weeks to clean him out. The Doc blamed it on the Energy drinks.

To me, if you are going to drink them, drink in moderation just like anything else.

16. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

I've heard of problems when mixing alcohol and energy drinks- there have been a few documented cases of people having heart attacks due to the mixture.....

Like said before- moderation is the key.

17. hellbender

hellbender Member

Who better?

18. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I've been trying to figure out that taste since it came out. Thank you!

19. hellbender

hellbender Member

Try the redbull no carb with only 80mg caffeine. Just enough.

20. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

I like the Emergen-C. No caffeine or anything just a blast of vitamins, seems to work for me.....