"Energy Efficient" Gear?

tripforks

I've been kind of curious on this subject for a bit now, but does energy efficiency ever come into play with purchasing pedals at all? How would one quantify that, anyway? Current Draw in mA, maybe?

It kinda piqued my curiosity when reading the Z.Vex website, and they were using the Fuzz Factory's low current draw as a "green" marketing point. Ethics has been an intriguing topic for me in terms of guitar gear, so let's have at it

Jellybelly33

Only when considering battery usage. If you're on an efficient power supply for your pedals it'll make next to no difference (assuming there's enough current to easily power everything). The power an effects pedal's supply will draw is nothing next to a valve amp or a TV! Although they may sound massive, pedals are dealing with tiny signals. Inductance using taught steel strings over small magnets wrapped up in small coils of wire can't be very efficient after all!!

Jellybelly33

FYI aware I've mixed a lot of terms that that probably aren't technically correct (power isn't 'drawn' etc). Just being as lay as a man can be!

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
FYI aware I've mixed a lot of terms that that probably aren't technically correct (power isn't 'drawn' etc). Just being as lay as a man can be!
Actually, I thought it was GREAT !!!
At least it was "word salad" that I could understand.

And, btw, when you pluck that string and it cuts through the lines of magnetic force radiating from the pickup, you are actually PRODUCING electricity, not consuming it. We should all be COMMENDED for partaking in a pastime/hobby/vocation that actually has a (slight) offset for the energy we use.

/Pinocchio Platitudes

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
to the OP,

much of the 'analog pedal world uses a small amount of energy.... I think there's a thread around here that lists pedals and their power consumption. 9v @ 5-50 mA is really quite light. Even a 'big' pedal like an H9 is spec'd at 500mA, but if you do a 120-to-9 volt conversion and throw in a 70% efficiency factor you still are only drawing 50-60 mA from the 120 in the wall.

The big digital pedals are all generally using relatively energy-efficient CMOS technology (in their DSPs) . The case MIGHT arise where a manufacturer may have designed in a DSP that is capable of much more powerful number crunching than needed for a given pedal, but it might still be the right choice if upward compatability and firmware updates are being considered.

I don't think there are too many uses of TTL and ECL/BJT logic in our little segment of the technology spectrum. BITD, those were the big power-consumers.

/probable non-sequitur

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
I would stick with pedals that use LEDs vs. incandescent bulbs and I think you will be fine.
yeah...those greedy NIXIE tubes were powerhungry little buggers.

:thu

oh hey...is there any power savings in using LED's for clipping over regular diodes?

/gass gang-green

ShavenYak

And, btw, when you pluck that string and it cuts through the lines of magnetic force radiating from the pickup, you are actually PRODUCING electricity, not consuming it. We should all be COMMENDED for partaking in a pastime/hobby/vocation that actually has a (slight) offset for the energy we use.
Not really - the minuscule amount of energy produced at the pickup is dissipated as a minuscule amount of heat at the first active component it hits, be that a transistor or a vacuum tube. The energy output by that component is coming entirely from the power supply there, and the input signal is only controlling the flow of that energy to produce a copy as an output signal. The harder you're hitting the strings, the more energy that component is consuming.

MogwaiBoy

Remember the time Al Gore left his 100 acre mansion with all night floodlights and 24/7 heated swimming pools, flew around the world in an army of private jets to tell us to take shorter showers and save the planet? That was funny.

0xeneye

Silver Supporting Member
A hundred watt light bulb requires about 800 ma = more than my entire board.

Dave Fox

Senior Pedalmaker
This reminds me of my father-in-law. He gets mad if anyone leaves a light on in a room. Last time I was there he found a bathroom light on and started ranting. I shut him up by pointing out that he has an old freezer in the garage that's full of freezer burned meat from 10+ years ago. He could light the entire house continuously for the next 65 years for less than what that thing sucks up in a week.

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
Remember the time Al Gore left his 100 acre mansion with all night floodlights and 24/7 heated swimming pools, flew around the world in an army of private jets to tell us to take shorter showers and save the planet? That was funny.
LOL. Yes it was.

Nota

Power consumption is VERY important to me because I rely on a custom, portable, rechargeable power supply for all my gigs and lessons. I have a 4200 mAh battery but even that can be drained very quickly with digital pedals.

I use only four things that draw power: Ethos (35mA), G30 (160mA), CC (26mA), and FRV-1 (37mA) for a total of ~ 260. My battery can run that for 16 hours max.

However, without the wireless G30, I could run for up to 42 hours. Quite a huge difference. Imagine adding a Strymon or whatever to that...

tripforks

Cool, cool. I like the lightbulb comparison.

The general sentiment seems to be that the current is negligible unless I'm running something like 5 M13s running into stereo deep-freezes.

Thanks for the perspectives, folks

Jason_77

It kinda piqued my curiosity when reading the Z.Vex website, and they were using the Fuzz Factory's low current draw as a "green" marketing point. Ethics has been an intriguing topic for me in terms of guitar gear, so let's have at it
Wait, what?! He is making the claim that he specifically engineered it to be energy efficient? What a bunch of ****. Fuzz pedals by nature have very low current draws.

tripforks

Wait, what?! He is making the claim that he specifically engineered it to be energy efficient? What a bunch of ****. Fuzz pedals by nature have very low current draws.
http://www.zvex.com/fuzz.html but it's most likely tongue in cheek. It did get some gears turning in my head, though. 3mA is still peanuts either way you spin it

I should probably add a disclaimer that I have no qualms running my 100W combo amp, just someone who washes their laundry in cold water and turns off lights behind them. Environment stuff is on my mind, but I'm no nut (I do really enjoy the jokes about Al Gore, by the way)