ENGL Amps... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lucky Dog Guitars, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I've been thinking about getting a new amp. The Engl amps like the Sovereign 100 look like they are very flexible & allow you to save settings.

Anyone know how good they sound?.. what is the clean channel like?...

I have only heard one ENGL in my life... it was like 20 yrs ago, it was called a "Straight 100" & to my recollection it sounded GREAT..

Appreciate your time.

Anthony

2. photios

photios Member

The only Engl I have experience with is one of their new power amps: 850/100. It is, hands down, the best power amp that I have tried. It beat out the VHT 2/50/2, 2/90/2, Soldano SM100R, and the Randall RT2/50 and it did so with great authority...no contest.

There is a very reputable amp dealer who can get any kind of gear he wants and he swears by the Engl 4x12 cabinet...says it will beat out any other 4x12 for tone and build quality (including the legendary Bogner).

If you're really hesitant about it, you could buy one from MF and use the 45 day return option if you arent happy with it.

3. Dave L

Dave L Member

I like Engl, and I´ll probably get a Blackmore one of these days. The Sovereign is pretty awesome too... there are plenty of good tones in there. Engls have a rep for being metal amps, but I think many of their models are killer for many types of rock.

4. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I tried the Invader and loved it. I could do without all that midi stuff. I won't use it and it is just more stuff that can break down. I'm sure it adds to the cost of the amp a bunch. I liked the way the amp is voiced.

5. gregc

gregc Member

I have a Blackmore. It's a great amp. The clean is real clean AND NEVER RUNS OUT OF HEADROOM. I can footswitch thru 3 levels of gain, a mid-boost, and select 1 of 2 master volumes. It's a great gigging man's amp. I've had it about 5 years and never had a problem with it.

6. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Thanks for all the replies... Most people that knew me wouldnt think I would be looking at an Engl...

I play mostly modern country.. and southern rock to 80's rock.. .I'd like to find an amp that really fits this bill.. but a really good, fat, clean channel with headroom is the 1st & most important.

I'm really in love with the rock tones that Doug Aldrich of Whitesnake gets.. I think he mostly uses Mark Cameron modded Marshalls...

Any thoughts about Bogner Shiva's?... or other amps that may match my needs as described?

7. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

One point to add...One person mentioned the CAE Custom Audio OD100 amp.. but I have never had a chance to hear it..

But if I went with an Engl.. I would want to know that the clean channel would give something similar to a Fender pro-reverb'ish / DrZ / Twinnish sound... and I wouldnt really want a "heavy" side.. as far as pantera or blackmetal sounds.. I like the smoother, liquidy, overdrive sounds...EVH/Whitesnake/etc etc

8. Sikor

Sikor Member

I have Sovereign 1x12 combo for almost 1 year.
    And still in love with it :)
    It is very versatile, anything from clean, light drive to high gain metal. Engl amps sounds great even at low volumes and I have no problem using it also as a bedroom amp, even if it is 100W amp :)

I don't know exactly what You mean by "allow you to save settings", but all settings of the amp, like channel, which loop is active, reverb, bright, high-gain switches and master1/2 can be controlled by MIDI. Great feature :)

9. Grandnoise

Grandnoise Member

I played one last year as my amp and cab were elsewhere at the time, I can't remember what it was but it was the sound guys and it sounded godlike.

huge distortion I think it was a 30-60watter but leans were lovely and it was tiny 1x12, the only thing that puts me off other than the price is the metal following they have and that i find them oh so ugly.

10. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Obviously the overdrive is going to be great...

Can you all compare the Engl's clean sound to something like a Fender Twin or DR.Z? And does it have big bottom end & headroom before breakup?

11. gregc

gregc Member

The clean on the Blackmore is very clean, though I wouldn't call it Fendery, deapite the 6L6 power section. It has 100W of absolute clean on the clean channel though. LOUD, and CLEAN!~

12. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

For more of the Whitesnake'ish sounding overdrive... which Engl amp would probably be the best? I do want built in reverb.

I've kinda been leaning toward the Soveriegn 1X12 or 2X12..

Really the toss up has been between a Bogner Shiva, Mesa Lonestar & the Soveriegn... but for that kind of money Im trying to make the right choice

13. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I met Reb Beach & Doug Aldrich in Atlanta in 2006.. Reb was CAE & it really sounded good

14. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I think you could be in the market for the Engl Special Edition 6L6. I just bought one! It has a "Classic" mode (in addition to a more aggressive "Modern" mode) that sounds amazing for smooth round clean and overdrive tones.

15. amigo30

amigo30 Member

I've got a Screamer head that I can't say enough good things about. All the versatility you could want, it's been reliable, killer high-gain channels with lot of variations in it, a great sounding reverb, a very usable master volume. The real jewel is the clean channel though. It really does have an awesome tone.

I definitely wouldn't compare it to a Peavey.

16. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

It's true... simply open one up.

Engl takes many shortcuts with their amps. The pcb boards are mounted upside down, so if you blow a cap/resistor you need to pull the board and turn it right side up to work on it. Engl also uses plastic posts to mount the pcbs to the chasis; they also use dabs of silicone epoxy everywhere to secure leads and caps (no zip ties); they use cheap spade end connectors in various places instead of solder joints; they use el cheapo preamp tube shields made of a single bent piece of metal that doesn't even cover the entire tube like the cannister shield most companies use; plastic pots & plastic jacks; all pots & jacks are mounted to pcbs (no flying leads); the pcbs are thinner than most other hi-end builders; they also use quite a bit of ribbon cable to connect all of the multiple pcbs together. It looks more like a PC inside than a tube amp. Definitely not worth the price they charge vs. the build quality IMHO.

I definitely agree with the PV of Europe comparison.

:p

17. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Funny thing though, when I did an all-out YouTube clips comparison of the SE to the Herbert and XTC 101B, the SE had the smoothest, richest, most natural-sounding OD tones of the bunch and the best cleans...not to mention the most useful and most abundant feature set. Morse and Blackmore are using them on tour as well...but, yeah, I know, they can afford techs and multiple backups.

18. mrboy

mrboy Member

Can you post a link for it? Thanks!

19. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I don't have access to the links here at work. Just do a search on all the keywords (i.e. engl se amp, herbert amp, xtc 101B amp, etc). You'll get all kinds of hits. Actually discovered some AMAZING players in the process!!!

But, in the meantime, what isn't there to like about this tone?
    Plus, given the Classic/Modern, Contour and Mid Edge switches, I'd bet you can get killer blues and jazz-fusion tones out of this...which is what I'm after....along with the realtime flexibility...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0t4hOoSVbg

20. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Which Engls? Which channels and modes of which Engls? It's tough to believe that, with all the options on a model like the SE, you wouldn't be able to dial in tones that would cut. I mean, listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0t4hOoSVbg&feature=related

Granted, it's not a real live band, but c'mon, that sounds great! I can't believe that tone would not cut in a real live mix.