Engl Retro 50 vs Blackstar S1 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ShinobiKama, Mar 23, 2015.

1. ShinobiKama

ShinobiKama Member

What are your thoughts on these two particular amps? Which one would you choose and why?

2. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

A friend has the Retro 100 and I've spent a couple of hours on it.
    Real nice amp....the cleans are up there with the Suhr od100 and Landry ls100 which are the best ime.
    Dirt has its own thing going, but nice and punchy with a wicked fast pick attack.
    Darker than a vintage jcm/jmp and my Landry and a little bit more compressed, but not a sterile, scooped modern tone at all.
    Solo boost would work well in a loud band mix, but can be abit nasal on its own. My friend uses a Spark Booster cause he says the Engl solo boost is too VH(His way of saying modern) but apart from that is very happy.
    Haven't had any personal experience with that model Blackstar but tend to think little of the brand in general. It seems every covers guitarist with a cheesy metal sound, playing Sweet Home Alabama or Jessies Girl tend to be playing a Blackstar around these parts. Though they are usually the HT/hybrid lower price units.

3. ShinobiKama

ShinobiKama Member

Everything Engl makes is good. I supposed I'd say the same about Blackstar too except they cater a lot more to the low-budget crowd. The Series One stuff is just a level above any of their HT type stuff. Everything about the Series One is outstanding.

I think these two amps have a whole lot to offer and very similar in many respects, except perhaps the Series One 50 is more of a classic type tone. I'm having a very hard time deciding.

4. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Really love all the Demo's of the Retro series BUT NOONE anywhere near me carry's them so havent had a chance to play on in person...

5. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Guitarist in my other band had a Retro 50. Nice sound but a little modern and compressed to be called "Retro". Also had a lot of gain. My Splawn ate it for lunch though, he couldn't get it to cut through as well.

6. ShinobiKama

ShinobiKama Member

What do you mean that your Splawn ate it for lunch? I've owned a couple of Splawns and played every Engl model there is, and I find Engl to be no less great. Engl is big on mids, and many models have some kind of mid boost, so there should be no problem cutting through with them. What was the setup?

7. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Bump as I also play a Splawn and am interested in the Retro. Anyone have a recent experience with the Retro and how it compares to the likes of a Splawn?

8. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Bumping as I also play a Splawn and have been interested in the Engl Retro. Any recent experiences on how it compares to a Splawn or the like? I was dissuaded hearing it doesn't cut like a Splawn, but the clips seem to show that it can cut pretty well.

9. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I have owned several Engl's. All have been amazing, and I can imagine the Retro (which I'd love to play) is no less amazing. I would NEVER choose a Blackstar over an Engl. Period.

The Series One's from Blackstar are by far their best offering, and honestly the only series of theirs I'd even consider playing.

The Engl Retro is definately based on more of a British tone. But I don't think it's comparable to Splawn. They're both modded Marshall style. The Engl is going to be much more modern. I'd argue even more modern and compressed than a Nitro.

I think there's a Retro on here for $850? So I'd jump on that!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  10. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Retro is def not a modern metal compressed type amp. In the same ballpark as a stock TSL i guess, but less so than the Yeti I had about the same time i tried the Engl.
    Abit more modern than my vintage 2203's so not really that retro.

11. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

I ended up buying a Retro 100w Head and it was a great amp. Loved both channels and boosts on both channels as well, no need for any drive pedals. Only sold it because the fixed Speaker Resonance drove me crazy, especially on the clean channel...Would still love to get a Retro 50 combo and just remove that resonance circuit..