*** Engl Special Edition 6L6 ***

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dave_C, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

On a whim, I acquired this amp for a 72 hour audition. By the end of the 2nd day, I was absolutely blown away by it. It has totally rocked the foundations of my amp "belief system"!

;)

Forget the misconception that Engl only does metal. Sitting right next to my Fuchs TDS, Suhr Badger, Dr. Maz 18, Allen Accomplice and collection of Jetter GSRs, Xotic AC/BB, Fulltone OCDs/Fulldrives(various editions) and MI Audio 6-knob Tube Zone, I am getting some of the most beautiful clean/crunch rhythm tones and low/high gain Dumble...yes, DUMBLE...style lead tones I have ever experienced in my life! Yes, it can do that modern high gain garbage (sorry, just an opinion), but punch some buttons and twist some knobs and, damn, what beautiful blues, blues-rock, "fusion" style blues and classic rock this thing can do! Been going back-n-forth between the collection all weekend and this thing is just a monster. And, the best part? No wait!

I have some time off work in a couple weeks and plan to do some simple clips. Stay tuned. In the meantime, have any other non-metalheads out there checked this thing out?

2. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Glad you like it so much! Although I only own older Engl gear (a preamp , a power amp , a rackmount 8xel34 stereo amp that's very rare, and my most modern Engl gear is a Screamer, the 1st thing I think of when I plug in my stuff is the 70's ROCK , hard rock , heavy blues tones,etc. I love ENGL stuff! Also 2 of my Engl amps have BEAUTIFUL cleans too!

ERIC

3. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

All the Engl clips I've heard, except a select one or two of the SE, gave me that same impression. But, the SE has these "Contour", "Mid Edge" and "Modern/Classic" switches which dramatically alter the voicing of the amp, especially the distortion tones. Those switches get you into smooth blues fusion territory in a totally authentic and inspiring way! I wouldn't have believed it without actually having the other amps there to compare it to in realtime. Secondarily, I also found the amp sounds smoother in 100W mode than 50W...probably due to an impedance mismatch in 50W mode.

As for the cleans and the reverb, I was pretty shocked at how great they were...and, I've got some of the best clean/reverb amps in the world to compare it to!

I'm tellin' ya, man, this amp is a real sleeper!

4. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

BTW, no offense meant by the metalhead jokes! I do like some of it, and many its proponents play theirs asses off(!), but just like hip-hop, I'll never competely understand or appreciate the "chugga', chugga'" death metal stuff.

5. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I've played the SE w/ 6L6GCs... and I definitely did not hear anything remotley close to any Dumble or any Dumble style amp for that matter.

For the record, I have played an original Dumble ODS.

YMMV.

6. mhenson42

mhenson42 Supporting Member

Come on Mike. Aren't you gonna post the pics? :munch:D

I owned the el34 version and only really liked it for the metal tones.:dude

7. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I should, shouldn't I?

LOLZZZZZZZ!!!!!!

:p :D

8. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Tell me what settings you tried and what cab/speakers you used. I had my Fuchs TDS right next to the SE and, believe me, the SE can do Dumble style tones.

9. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

EL34 version is my working horse in studio and stage (thanks to MIDI it's no-brainer in getting all sounds memorized and recalled when necessary).
    Although it's absolute beast for metal and heavy sounds (with various cabinets and mike techniques I can really get any imaginable sound on records).

But, cleans are discovery there.
    It can be that set of EL34 I put recently (NOS GE) is pure magic in that respect, but cleans/soft crunch almost made Bogner and Vox AC30HW redundant.

Experiments with cabs and speakers are worth, too. Amp reveals its capabilities in different manners with slight changes. For example for cleans I've found open back Bogner cabinets (with Greenbacks) much nicer that excellent ENGL cabinets with V30s.
    IMO it can compete in clean dept. with anything specially made only for cleans and still amp offers 3-4 channels more and much more in functionality ove all those inumerable one-trick ponies.
    I'm playing with friend's new and faved Cameron amp right now (nice, lively sounds) and still ENGL can hold its own against anything, if time spent to dig into it deeper.
    Like all great amps, it requires some time to be exactly tweeked (and tuned by choice of tubes) to reveal its great nature.
    Diezel, Mesa Boogie and VHT had home here, too, but SE is at least equal to their best qualities and better in some other respects.

10. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

So youre saying a 1500 dollar Engl can do what a 3000 dollar Fuchs can do ? Andy must be thrilled.. :D

11. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Couldn't agree more, very versatile amp!!

http://www.lordriffenstein.com/sound/JBs Blues.mp3

12. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

I'm sure he is not talking about mid level 1500 $ ENGL, but about top flight SE head - 3999 $ (street price about 3400 $).
    Don't see any reason why should any other boutique amp be considered as better conceptualized, engineered or implemented than SE, more likely quite opposite.

13. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

I was kidding. Steve Morse seems to be endorsed by Engle. I think he has an SE.

14. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

:):jo:RoCkIn

15. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

The Engl was $3700 and the Fuchs was $3500, with a hand tune...

16. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I'm using mine with a Port City Wave 2x12 with Heritage G12-65s and it just sings. And, of course, the 6L6s (the great TADs are loaded stock) don't accentuate the upper mids as much as EL34s. I also found the key to getting into the blues-fusion genre (in the lead channels) was by engaging both Contour and Mid Edge and dialing down Presence and Treble to about 9:00 each...at least for a bridge PUP. Contour bumps the low mids (300-500Hz) and 1500Hz. Mid Edge knocks down the total midrange center. I'm also running the Gain below 9:00 with Hi Gain mode ON (for a RF "high gain" tone) and about 10:30 with Hi Gain mode OFF (for more of an SRV "low gain" tone). These settings and gear are probably quite different than what are used by most metal devotees of this map.

But, all of the above translates into SUPER smooth, fat, singing lead tones in the Lead 1 & 2 channels, which are every bit as good for the blues-fusion genre as anything I own and anything I heard in TAG's thread with mutliple Two-Rock and Glaswerks clips! The bonus though is built-in MIDI and a dozen other sound-sculpting, switching, and convenience options the other amps don't have.

It's all subjective and these are all great amps. I'm just posting to alert my bretheren to another great amp possibility!!!

17. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Yep, I'm talking about the Special Edition 6L6 head which retails most everywhere (including Musician's Friend) for $3750 and can be on your doorstep in two days!

18. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Yep, the SE EL34 is his main head, but he also uses the Invader and Powerball, which I don't think would do the smoother blues tones as well as the SE, especially the 6L6 version of the SE.

19. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Actually it's hard to work in studio without total re-call nowdays (for example I always memorize in my PC DAW the sound that was recorded on particular song incl. short memo about guitar), sometimes couple of days later on mixdown often happen that track should be re-recorded.
    It can't be over-emphasized how convenient is this feature, but even without that the amp is winner for sound only, too.

20. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Even in my extremely limited studio experience, I have experienced that exact scenario. But, I'm just a hobbyist who's been doing weekend gigs since age 12 and I've always needed four basic tones at two basic levels. No matter the band or live situation, having clean, crunch, low gain lead and high gain lead has always been kind of as minimum requirement. There are lots of ways to get those sounds, but only in the last 5-10 years have amps come out to really make it easy and really make all the tones sound great...from just one amp. With all the great pedals around, that's another killer option, as is the multiple amp rig. Great time to play guitar!