England

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mikeguy53, Apr 18, 2016.

1. mikeguy53

mikeguy53 Member

Going later this summer. Thinking Oxford, Cotswolds, Stratford on Avon. Bath, Cornwall, and ending in London. Combination of car rentals and trains. Any advice? I know Ronnie Scott's is on the menu. Thanks guys.

Turi likes this.
  2. Boromedic

Boromedic Member

Lol, completely tongue in cheek but there is a northern part of England you know!!

A lot of folks visit the UK and miss out the North, Wales and Scotland and they have an overly fair share of natural beauty and historical sites to see.

The Cotswalds and Stratford are lovely, as are Bath, Oxford, and Cornwall, however the Welsh coast is beautiful and even better if you travel through Snowdonia to get there, the Lake District is probably the most beautiful part of England (with the honourable exception of the North Yorkshire Moors and Whitby which are just brilliant, but I grew up near there so I have a real bias to it!), Yorkshire is amazing in general otherwise, plenty of history and stuff to see both natural and cities such as York.

Manchester has some amazing history and nightlife, check out the Brew Dog pub for some great craft beer just over the road from the old Free Trade Hall, where Dylan was famously booed and the Sex Pistols inspired a generation of musicians after visiting Salford Lads Club (for the Smiths fans!) and walking the amazing city centre, you can do a dual centre stay there and take in Liverpool for obvious Beatle reasons (Lennon's house at Mendips, think Maccas is open now too maybe and the Cavern). You can also hit the Peak District from there and drive the Snake Pass which is awesome.

I suppose it depends what you like and what you want to do, cities or nature, or both? It can get expensive to travel round the UK due to fuel costs and hotels or B&Bs get expensive, Youth Hostels are a great cheaper alternative for single folk or couples who don't mind sleeping in dorms. They do family rooms too but it can get expensive, however they are situated in a lot of great places to see natural beauty. (stop me if I'm patronising you with this info btw, just offering alternatives!).

Al

3. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

I did almost that exact itinerary in 2013 and it was very fun. We hit up Winchester as well. While in the Cotswolds check out the Slaughters, very cool. Bath is home to a really nice vintage guitar shop. See if you can't find yourself some unobtainium like D*A*M and Pigdog.

4. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Bath cannot be missed. Absolutely gorgeous city.

5. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

How long are you planning for?

The Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall is quite a nice morning/afternoon/day out.

I always mention The New Kings Road Vintage Guitar Emporium in Fulham in these threads. Small and pricey but some fantastic guitars in there. And from there you can either jump on the 22 bus (which takes you along the Kings Road, Sloane Street, Hyde Park Corner, and finishes in Piccadilly) or take a short walk to Parson's Green tube station and get on the District Line to head into town (change at Earl's Court for the Piccadilly Line).

There's been a few threads like this with a lot of good information in them so it's worth seeking them out if you haven't done so already.

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

I want to go there so badly to retrace ancestry.

I have google earth views of some of the locations and I'm clearly of humble origins.

Great great grand parents were market gardeners, Surrey Middlesex region.
    Others tied to the coal industry, worker, merchant, boatsman.

A discovered relative who's been back and forth several times has our bloodline going back to 1595 around Yorkshire.

I want my daughters to go with, but that would be insanely expensive and now they all have work schedules.

Boromedic likes this.
  7. Boromedic

Boromedic Member

OMG, have any of you ever been north of Birmingham!!! ;)

It amazes me that loadsa people go on about how small the UK is (especially compared to the US and Canada), and then spend their time travelling an area the size of Maine and miss the good stuff. Lands End to the top of Scotland is only 900 miles, with some amazing stuff on the way. You'll pay a premium for anything you buy in and around London so hit up vintage shops up north where there are bargains to be had, Nottingham City Guitars has vintage and some great Coopersonic FX too, Johnny Roadhouse in Manchester etc. plenty of decent music shops around!! Denmark St and all them boutique shops in London aren't what they used to be at all. However if you're planning to do mostly looking at guitar shops like that, most of them are in the south as they have all the cash............. there's a couple of good ones in Oxfordshire too.

Let us know what you decide!

Washburnmemphis, sundog964 and Turi like this.
  8. Boromedic

Boromedic Member

Yeah there's plenty of history around but very expensive when you start looking at taking family with you :-(

My roots stretch all over the place, but half my family settled in Yorkshire around 1850 ish, the rest at that generation were in Scotland then. Crazy how far and wide the world has spread even since then!

Turi likes this.
  9. Turi

Turi Member

No advice, but the place is magic.
    Cold, but magic.

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm spellbound the further I go back and the more things connect with actual records.
    There are over 2.300 relatives I've never met last I looked.

I'm humbled seeing how they got by and understand why they took a chance on new opportunities in Canada and the U.S.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  11. Boromedic

Boromedic Member

Yeah, plenty of history and stuff to link into, same as all of Europe, Asia, Africa etc. it must be odd for you guys over there when the history literally stops around the 1700's, my home town wasn't built until the 1860's so I kinda have to branch out further to find out more, which must be similar but a lot smaller geographically!

12. Boromedic

Boromedic Member

You won't see anything as gorgeous as this in old Larndarn town..........

[​IMG]

martyncrew likes this.
  13. Boromedic

Boromedic Member

Or this.........!!

[​IMG]

However I am biased!

14. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

Depends how long you are going to be there. Many people try to do way too much in a short space of time and, especially driving, can take longer than you expect. Your itinerary sounds great for 7 or 8 days. If you have longer either Wales, The Lake District or the Scotland would be well-worth considering as well (ex-Brit).

Boromedic likes this.
  15. Boromedic

Boromedic Member

Therein lies the rub, despite the perceived small distances it can take a long time to get from one place to another eating into your vacation time. Visiting cities allows you to see more in a smaller timeframe.........

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

I can't imagine trying to do England/Britain in less than 30 days.

I lived in Germany for a year and was just getting really comfortable.

There's so much old heritage to discover.

100 years old ain't diddly squat.

17. Boromedic

Boromedic Member

Hell, I lived there 36 years and I still haven't seen it all!!

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

I've lived around Washington D.C. region in Northern Virginia since 1954, except for 2 trips abroad.

I still haven't seen all the sights to see downtown, some sure, but not all.

19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Yeah, if I'm going to England one of the first things on my list is what bar I'm going to.....:cool:

20. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

Make sure you ask for COLD BEER!