English Celestion Alnico Blue v Weber Alnico Blue Dog ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BryanMatthews, Dec 24, 2009.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

for use in 2 x 12 closed back cab ?
    sweetest tonally, most balanced and most able to handle from clean to high gain ?

2. freaktone

freaktone Member

Any of them are sweet after you "break them in". Not really great in high gain metal type stuff but fantastic w/power tubes being pushed. In the end I went with a Tone Tubby Alnico (Instead of the Cel or Web) paired with a Scumback h55 in a closed 2x12 cab. It just sounds fantastic with this combo!

3. gulliver

gulliver Member

Good question. I have the 50 watt Alnico Blue Dog and can tell you the voicing is in the general ball park of a Scumback M75, so it is more on the dark side. Of course, the Alnico mag really changes the dynamics and sizzle. I'm so happy with it, I'm not hot to try others (yet), but will keep an eye on this thread.

4. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

If darker = sweeter then the used-to-be standard 30 watt Weber is sweeter. The 30W Weber is plenty crisp, just not as much as the Celestion. For a Weber that sounds much closer to the modern Celestion, get the 15W version.

Don't know about high gain but either seem to like clean to crunch pretty well.

hunter

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

Higher power = lower voicing ... so, if Hunter is correct, the selection depends on how much power you need and how dark/crisp you want to go. I'm happy with the 50 watt BD, usually I like my darker/thicker pickups rather than the brighter ones and use my picking location and style to dig the highs out of it. Brighter typical vintage SC PUs seem to be plenty bright.

6. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

The Cele has more chime and Krang than the Weber imho. The webers tend to have a kind o sizzle the highs. The blues have a sweeter high end.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

If you truly want to be in the Blue zone (& I said in the zone, not clone), don't order your Weber above 30W.

8. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Neither. The Blues are way too loud especially in the high end and have poor bass responce. The Weber blue is kinda flat compared to the Blue but a better match for what you want. The best and I have tried a lot more then mentioned here is the Scumnico from Southbay. Yes it is built by Weber but Weber doesn't sell this speaker only Southbay. It is an amazingly versatile speaker has smooth top end punchy bass and even tone.

9. Wagster

Wagster Member

My vote goes to the Scumnico from your description. The Celestion Blue doesn't have a lot of bass. It can be a little bright with some amps. The magic of that speaker is how it compresses when pushed. It's got that certain thing that works great with some amps and not so well with others.

What amp are you going to use with these speakers?