English made ac15 or AC15hw

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wescattle, Feb 20, 2012.

1. wescattle

wescattle Member

Played a c1 yesterday and loved it, they are also super cheap. My budget is a little more than what they want for the c1, would it be worth trying a handwired or english made? Will i be able to even tell then difference between an english made and the C1? The handwired ones look super cool, but wish they had the trem, and black tolex...

2. mAx___

mAx___ Member

The AC15HW has a number of advantages over the early '90s English-made AC15. Bypassable Master Volume, turret board construction, Hot/Cool mode, half-power switch.
    Tone-wise I believe it can only be topped by the originals or by some high-end boutiques. Go straight for it! :)

3. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

there are youtube vids with both AC15s against each other

4. wescattle

wescattle Member

How do the older english made ac15s stand up to the new C1s?

5. wyatt

wyatt Member

Hard to compare the Marshall-built AC15TB was a unique circuit, not a reissue; same thing with CC and C series, they are Vox-based but not RI's. All are more AC30 Top Boost-derived.

The handwireds, on the other hand, were using more traditional late-'50's/early-'60's AC15 circuits with a ton of extra options.

So they are different with none really being "better," they each have their own fans.

6. crowhue

crowhue Member

I cant see a major difference. The C1 is a cool amp and should last forever (ish)

7. melven62

melven62 Member

Owned both. Currently have the TBR with the Vox Bulldog. Different yet similar amps.
    The C1 is a bit louder and has far more gain available. It also has a bit more low end too and cleaner cleans. The greenback gives it an edgier (not reffering to U2) sound, like bite.
    The British TBR feels and sounds older and broken in a good way. It does more of the "in between" sound better, that semi clean/dirty sound better. It's quite a bit more mid focused too. Also seems to take pedals better, overdrives aren't as harsh sounding not that C1 was harsh but this is smoother. I really want to try a Weber Blue Dog in it.

Both are excellent amps though

8. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

there you have it

i'd try the AC15c1

if you have money left over, you could buy a REALLY great speaker for it.
    ...like a Scumback or a Blue

..ive been thinking of getting the AC15, myself

9. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

I chose a handwired over a British for these reasons - better features and the like. And plus mine's mahogany w/ no tolex, so... :aok
    And if I recall correctly, the AC15HW TVs come stock with the Alnico Blue speaker which just sounds incredible after break-in.

[​IMG]

10. wescattle

wescattle Member

Thinking bout getting the c1, putting a blue in it, and putting some killer tubes in. Maybe later i can get the hand wired.

11. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

Wouldn't be a bad route either.

Another thing to consider about the HW though is the EF86 channel that sounds really, really good. It's also got a 3 position Brilliance switch/2 position bass shift/pentode-triode switch so you can adjust bass tightness, treble and gain.

12. wescattle

wescattle Member

Ultimatly i think the handwired is def. the way to go, its just a little to expensive! It seems like an amp that not only holds its value, but one that i could hang onto forever. What speakers do they come with? Does th HWx come with the blue?

13. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

Yeah they are a bit pricey. I believe all the Handwireds come with the Blue speaker (someone fact-check for me) and yes the HWx comes with the Blue:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...wired-ac15hw1x-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

14. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

By the way, I've seen used Handwireds on Craigslist for around $900 several times.. so another option is saving ~$300 more than the $600 for the C1 and buying used.

15. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

Geez, they're $1500!
    I really don't think it's worth the extra $$$

you can buy the AC15c1, then put ANY speaker in it - and still save AT LEAST $600.
    (probably save $700-800)

...then you could put $100 worth of tubes in it.

JJ EL84s
    a NOS 12AX7 for V1
    ..and a few more "whatever" 12AX7s.

16. mAx___

mAx___ Member

IMO if you are going to be getting the C1 to save the extra money that the AC15HW costs, leave the speaker it comes with at first and give it a chance for a while till it breaks in nicely. These new Celestions are much better than they used to be (right cones, etc.) and if you end up liking them you'll be saving even more money.

THAT SAID: Invest as much of that money you saved as possible in NOS tubes -all of them. If you end up getting the Handwired at a later time you can just transfer them there.
    I strongly believe that getting NOS tubes instead of current production ones will initially make more for your tone than replacing very good speakers for better ones. I know they made a huge difference in my AC30.

17. Gearaddict

Gearaddict Member

Save your dough and get an AC15C1. Best amp purchase I ever made. The amp is dead quiet, built like a tank other than the pdf, and I have never been so amazed with an amp straight out of the box. Would I prefer it made in the UK? Yes, definately, but the ones coming out of China are excellent (never thought I would say that). It has plenty of headroom and chime and gorgeous tube saturated gooeyness. With two seperate channels, normal and boost, you can afford to get a nice AB/Y box and use it as a two channel footswitchable amp and have the money leftover for a Janglebox or Celestion Blue. I happen to REALLY like the stock greenback speaker however.

18. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Just recently got a new AC15HW1 and it is just fabulous. I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful amp at this price. A fine tube amp with real world construction techniques is worth every penny I spent. Sounds very good.

19. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

PDF? VOX and Adobe are making amps together? ;-)