Enigmatic Ocean

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by robinson slick, Mar 25, 2020 at 8:26 AM.

1. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

I found a 5 album set for twenty and change W/ Enigmatic Ocean, Cosmic Messenger, Aurora.Upon The Time Of Music,And Imaginary Voyage. No liner notes tho' but WTH. First Time I heard him was w/ Zappa, around '73.

2. tomaburque

tomaburque Member

I played the hell out of that album in the 70s and, after not hearing it for decades, rediscovered on streaming. Great album with fantastic compositions, not just a lot of blowing like so much of 70s fusion.

robinson slick and Comet01 like this.
  3. mjross

mjross Member

One of my favorites! Blew me away the first time I heard it. However, those were enhanced times .

robinson slick likes this.
  4. LHakim

LHakim Member

I too saw JLP (in Kalamazoo) around 77 or 78. His guitarist was unknown to me at the time but was great. Larry Coryell opened for them. I still have the t shirt from that concert.

robinson slick likes this.
  5. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Silver Supporting Member

If I had a choice to relive any one of the hundreds of shows I've been to, it would be JLP's Atlantic Years Tour from a couple years ago, at my favorite indoor venue, The Egg.

Ponty is daily listening for me, mostly the Live album, Civilized Evil, and Aurora, lately, but Enigmatic Ocean is what really got me into his music to begin with. After being introduced through the music of Frank Zappa, he and George Duke have had as big an impact on my life as music possibly can. I'm not talking my "life as a musician", because I'm just a hack when it comes to that... citing either of them as influences, when it comes to the way I play guitar, would be a joke and insult to either. I'm just talking about the pure enjoyment and emotion I get from listening.

Lately I've started checking out Dr L Subramaniam as a result of stumbling on his playing in this video with JLP and Billy Cobham, another fusion legend I was lucky enough to catch recently at The Egg. You can tell, by watching Billy's facial expressions as the performance progresses, just how much he loves what is happening. This song is a Subramaniam composition, originally performed with Stephane Grappelli, the violin virtuoso who played in "Quintette du Hot Club de France" with Django Reinhardt. Anyway...

6. lhallam

lhallam Member

I got turned onto Jean Luc through Zappa and Holdsworth through Soft Machine. When this LP came out, I knew I would like it even before dropping the needle. It did not disappoint.

Jean Luc's solo on Zappa's "50/50" is one of my all time favorite solos.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    pup tentacle and robinson slick like this.
  7. robinson slick

robinson slick Member

ha, I had to do a "search google for image" to see who that is...Billy Ocean; I hope that he's well.

muzishun likes this.
  8. lhallam

lhallam Member

Ever heard L. Shankar? He also played with Zappa, McLaughlin, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins and many others. He used to rehearse in the studio next door to ours in NYC. He took all of his drummer's cymbals away. I found that amusing.

pup tentacle and Baxtercat like this.
  9. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Wow, this thread just uncovered a memory. I used to listen to Enigmatic Ocean all the time; I must have been in high school. It's funny in the interview above where Allan talks about being able to play with Stuermer because their styles were so different. Back then, he could have said that about virtually every othe guitaris on the planet. He was unique!

Comet01 and Eric Rowland like this.
  10. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Supporting Member

JLP with his two biggest fans! .....

I have always loved how J-L integrated bebop into his playing from early on....not an easy task on violin I'm sure!

Comet01 likes this.
  11. Sheherezadeh

Sheherezadeh Member

One of the most underrated fusion albums made. The chemistry especially between Ponty, Holdsworth, Smith, and Armstrong is off the charts.

Eric Rowland and Comet01 like this.
  12. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Supporting Member

[​IMG]

muzishun likes this.