Enjoying the Vox AC30CC2x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leonc, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Picked up an AC30 CC2x on EBay a few weeks ago and I've really been enjoying it. It's used but still has the original hang tags and 'box candy'. Absolutely gorgeous cleans. Great mid-rangey mild overdrive that mophs into a very satisfying crunch.

I think my Tele was made for this amp and I'm really diggin my Les Paul through it as well. Haven't tried any other guitars through it (other than Seavall's great-sounding Orville LP) but will be able to give it a good workout with some other guitars soon.

The master vol is okay, not great, but not awful. Definitely does the trick for keeping the volume tolerable. The reverb is not that great, but again, okay if you're into spring reverb. I prefer my Ampeg's tremolo but again, the CC2's is passable. It's definitely decent. I really like it with the two channels linked. Man, that is a GREAT feature.

Anyway, a Very, Very Good sounding amp indeed. Great features too; overall a tremendous value, IMHO.

2. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I agree with this review one hundred percent. The trem is good not amazing and the verb decent but not ideal, the master decent but not revolutionary, however the tone is spot on amazing - the best ac30 tone I have heard since JMI in a production amp imho.

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

Well, you've been around about a bit, Leon, so I'll have to check one out. Is the cab ply and not chipboard?

Best, Pete.

4. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

baltic birch ply

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

Cheers, WOY.

Any idea if it the same dimensions as the originals (or point me in some direction)?

Best, Pete.

6. Leonc

WOY - Yep, I have to agree that this amp produces more of what I remember as "the best kind of" AC30 tone than other reissues of recent years. I don't quite see the gods when I play it, as I did with my old, extremely unreliable JMI, but I do think it's pretty heavenly.

Pete, it seems a bit lighter to me than some of the old ones. Maybe I'm just getting stronger though...more likely, my memory is weaker heheh.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Leon. Every bloody thing is getting heavier to me - now I can barely lift either my Boogie or the Ganesha.......

I should stay looking for a Carr Rambler; with the new speaker they are even lusher - funny enough I don't like the trem on that either compared to my Vibro Champ, which is my all time fav trem.

But I digress......

Best, Pete.

8. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Not sure if the dimensions are the same or not, but my JMI head fits on my CC cab just fine. The only info re:dimensions I can find is as follows:

• AC30CC1 60.94 lbs. 24" (W) x 10.4" (D) x 21.25" (H)
    • AC30CC2 76.21 lbs. 27.75" (W) x 10.4" (D) x 21.25" (H)
    • AC30CC2X 76.87 lbs. 27.75" (W) x 10.4" (D) x 21.25" (H)
    • AC30CCH 46.07 lbs. 24.2" (W) x 10.4" (D) x 10.83" (H)

9. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

What speakers does yours have in it? I played one a while ago with an Eric Clapton Strat. The channels were linked and I thought it got a little Marshally sounding.

It was a long time ago and whenever I go to Guitar Center and try to play one, it's not working.

Does this new Vox sound anything like a big version of an Aiken Tomcat?

10. Leonc

Pete - I'm not surprised about that Ganesha. I heard that Peter Jackson planned on having King Kong throw one around in the latest movie, but then UGA nixed it.

SR - Mine's the "x" model, meaning two Celestion Blues. I've played (and heard) the Wharfedales too and thought they sounded very good as well. Not really sure it's worth the upgrade (others will disagree though...) I've played three of these amps in stores (once at Guitar Center) and they all worked, no probs. But I'm sure there are some doggy ones out there too...

11. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Is it anything like a 30 watt Aiken Tomcat?

12. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I too Love the Ac 30 CC But I am returning back to the store,They ordered me a Head version,cause the 2-12 is too dam heavy at 2AM after a gig,
    I have the Wharfdales and they sound very nice no complaints!
    I have never played Vox amps before and I love the tones,Much better thaen a lot of some of my other rigs,I dont know why The Bad Cat didnt sound as good as this CC 30 I had the Trem Cat.

13. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Now you know why I have an AC30CC1 AND a Hot Cat!! :dude :dude

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Agree with everything Leon. If you have not tried it wide open yet, you are in for a great surprise as well. The higher the MV is set, the better the amp sounds. The tones are fantastic, and the "normal" channel with the bright switch on is breathtaking. There are SOO many great tones to be had. The bright switch and channel linking give you tons of options, and all of the tones great. I never use trem, and have never even tried mine. Killer amp for sure.

15. Leonc

Ah sorry; missed that one didn't I :eek:...

Well, the short answer is...maybe. Depends on how you interpret the phrase "anything like". It does have a lot of sparkly highs and a very rich midrange. It doesn't have gobs of low end, but what's there sounds very good and doesn't flub. To sound really good, it does need to be relatively loud, but not crazy loud. (And yes, it will get crazy loud.) It probably has about as much gain as a Tomcat. I'd say it's slightly snagglier. I prefer the Tomcat with my particular strat, for example.

So, yeah, it's something like a 30W Tomcat, but is it enough like it for you? I couldn't say. You simply have to try one.

Tag - yup, I've run it wide open and it is a gas indeed. Bro - try it with a Tele, if you haven't yet. Man...dat's good!!

16. dave s

dave s Member

Pete,

you won't be disappointed. The AC30CC2 is a very strong amp. I was fortunate to fall into a pair of the Celestion Alnico Blue 15w 12s for a good price. What an upgrade! Never heard such 'smooth' top end on an amp like that before. I can just imagine what the originals sounded like!

Anyway, great amp. I'm digging mine as well. So much so that the Matchless is staying home and the VOX is going on gigs now.

dave

17. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I have the ac30CC1 right now - it is so portable. I have been running it with a fane alnico - sounds amazing. It sounded killer with the stock neodog but I wanted to try an alnico speaker because I cannot leave well enough alone - the fane is highly recommended.

18. allforroy

allforroy Member

That's a brave move! I'm continually blown away by the sound(s) in my AC30CC1, and the Neodog delivers big time, I think. Can you describe the
    response of the Fane a little...especially how it translates the highs, please? I would throw a Celestion Blue in to check it out, but don't think it would be wise as far as power handling goes. The Fane's rated at better than 15 watts if I recall correctly. In general, the 1X12 version is really a dream amp, period.

19. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Well the cool thing about the fane is that it retains the bass response of the neodog but had thicker creamy mids and the highs are slightly less extended. It is a really great sounding speaker but I do miss the neodog for certain tones. Overall I think the Fane is smoother on the highs and has less overall compression than the neodog - it is more different than better or worse - but it definitely still shines that Vox chme right on through. It's worth checking out if you have access to one for sure - it also gave me the chance to solder a speaker input lead for easy chassis maintenance.

20. allforroy

allforroy Member

Thanks for the follow up! I need to get a speaker lead going, too...definitely a pain to get into that chassis! The one thing I've noticed about the Neodog (or maybe the amp, itself) is that it gets a little crispy on the highend...a focusing/definition issue, but that's really only when it's set up quite bright, with a fair amount of gain...NO amp is perfect. I LOVE this amp. Thanks, again.