• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Eno pedals = Mooer clones?

catpeople

Looks like there's another player in town for super tiny pedals. The brand is Eno and I don't know anything about them. Has anyone heard of them?

In this demo, it looks like they're using the *exact* same packaging as Mooer.

Looks like they're also known as "EX" and some of the older labeling even had one named "OCD" and a "Rat".

Let's leave the China-bashing out of this, if TGP is capable of that.

Heady Jam Fan

Theres a chinese company/website that I think builds Mooer and sells some of the pedals cheap. I'll try to find/remember the company/site.

Stratsandaks

Out of curiosity I bought the Rat clone off of Amazon a couple of weeks ago, I'm pretty sure it is the same as a Mooer Black Secret. Anyone have a gutshot of a Mooer to compare? This is a picture of the Xing from Amazon.

Gemart

Here you go. This is a Mooer Black Secret. I love the sound this pedal produces and if that Xing sounds anything like it, I may pick one up as a backup.

Last edited:

Stratsandaks

Thanks for the picture of the Mooer. That's not what I was expecting, the circuit board layout is quite different between the two. Like the Mooer, the Xing has the proper LM308 chip and sounds like a Rat should. Interesting, I was expecting to see the only differences were in name.

kevinhifi

One manufacturing company providing the same units to multiple private label companies is a very common structure in electronics, so it's definitely a possibility. The different circuit board layouts/designs would be to honor copyrights that the different private label companies own or have exclusive license to.

DisasterArea

Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals
Looks like the Mooer is using tantalum caps throughout, while the Eno / EX has aluminum electrolytics and multi-layer ceramic caps (MLCCs) (much less expensive.)

Honestly, there's not that much to a Rat, but one of the things that was mentioned in the Art Thompson book was the use of tantalum capacitors in the signal path. I like the Black Secret, it sounds very much like a Rat.

catpeople

Looks like the Mooer is using tantalum caps throughout, while the Eno / EX has aluminum electrolytics and multi-layer ceramic caps (MLCCs) (much less expensive.)

Honestly, there's not that much to a Rat, but one of the things that was mentioned in the Art Thompson book was the use of tantalum capacitors in the signal path. I like the Black Secret, it sounds very much like a Rat.
Interesting. Thanks for the observation/information.

guitarman3001

Out of curiosity I bought the Rat clone off of Amazon a couple of weeks ago, I'm pretty sure it is the same as a Mooer Black Secret. Anyone have a gutshot of a Mooer to compare? This is a picture of the Xing from Amazon.

I have that same pedal. Also got it from Amazon. I don't have a black secret or an actual Rat to compare it to but to my ears it sounds good. BTW, mine doesn't say xing, it just says Rat on it.

mmolteratx

Thanks for the picture of the Mooer. That's not what I was expecting, the circuit board layout is quite different between the two. Like the Mooer, the Xing has the proper LM308 chip and sounds like a Rat should. Interesting, I was expecting to see the only differences were in name.
I wouldn't really call it quite different. In fact, I'd say they're very similar, and share a number of key features. Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they were designed by the same person, or if whoever designed the Eno used the Mooer board as reference.

Stratsandaks

Said a different way, I was surprised to see it was a clone of a Mooer and not the same pedal with a different label on the outside, it's a clone of a clone, that was the only point I was trying to make.

That said, to my ears the one from Xing sounds like a Rat should. I do have a big box reissue and original turbo to compare it to but I haven't done an actual A/B with them yet.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I'm with mmolterax here, I don't think it's a question of "a clone of a clone", I think it's more: large chinese factory tells some retailer "we've got this really small pedal line, we can do some for you". Retailer says "we'd like a Rat clone". Jobber builds one. Tells next retailer down the line the same story but they want different components to hit a different price or sound goal, so the layout ends up very slightly different (in fact, the only real difference I can see is the different types of caps-everything is in the same places, same chips and diodes, same switches just different graphics for round vs square caps).

kevinhifi

I'm with mmolterax here, I don't think it's a question of "a clone of a clone", I think it's more: large chinese factory tells some retailer "we've got this really small pedal line, we can do some for you". Retailer says "we'd like a Rat clone". Jobber builds one. Tells next retailer down the line the same story but they want different components to hit a different price or sound goal, so the layout ends up very slightly different (in fact, the only real difference I can see is the different types of caps-everything is in the same places, same chips and diodes, same switches just different graphics for round vs square caps).
Also, layouts are/can be protected by Copyright. Everything else is fair game unless the look & feel is unique and recognizable enough to justify a trademark (like Fender headstocks).

MIM#1

Looks like different clipping diodes to me?
Anyway, I ordered an ENO Rat and micro-tuner. At 38 bucks [what the Mooers SHOULD cost] its certainly worth a try.
I've owned a Black Secret so I should be able to tell how similar they sound.
Any other ENO pedal users out there or side by side reviews?

singlepile

Looks like different clipping diodes to me?
Anyway, I ordered an ENO Rat and micro-tuner. At 38 bucks [what the Mooers SHOULD cost] its certainly worth a try.
I've owned a Black Secret so I should be able to tell how similar they sound.
Any other ENO pedal users out there or side by side reviews?
Mooer forgot what they were, and made room for other clones.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom