Enough is Enough (or is it? Updated)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hogy, Feb 16, 2020.

1. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

Edit: updated on page 8. It's not overkill. It's awesome.

I've been doing my late night guitar playing/song learning with a Boss Katana Air for the last few months. The Katana is a modelling amp, the size of a radio and weighs like 2lbs. It has Bluetooth and you can stream Youtube to it to play along with backing tracks. I usually use headphones with it, but not always.

Problem is, I grew really tired of the Katana's tone. It is pretty artificial and grating to me.

So I set out to replace it with a real tube amp setup that would be capable of essentially doing the same thing. And I succeeded.

But it took about 100lbs of crap, along with lots of cables, and the whole thing is taking up a ton of space. It will also be impossible to keep the cats off of this rig.

So after a few hours playing this last night, I am thinking this is actually overkill. Something you don't ever hear me saying when it comes to guitar gear. My motto is "anything worth doing is worth overdoing". But I look at this and think "this is stupid". Yes, it works and sounds great, but...

I think I'll go back to the Princeton Reverb for practice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 2:09 PM
  2. shermanator

shermanator Supporting Member

I dunno. That's an awesome contraption... put a cat tower next to it as a diversion.

How does it deliver on the goal?

Jefudesu, mdubya, Brandon7s and 12 others like this.
  3. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

I wouldn't mind looking that stupid.................at all.

4. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Hmm works and sounds great...find a way to keep the cat away and enjoy that goodness right there!

massacre, Abram4235 and HeavyCream like this.
  5. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

6. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Member

Looks pretty sweet to me. Not worth going in debt for, but if you have the gear...

cratz2, Abram4235 and HeavyCream like this.
  7. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

I should have known better than to come to TGP for encouragement on gear reduction. :D

It delivers beautifully. Pedal board gives me an array of very different, stackable flavors of dirt. That goes into a little single ended 6L6 amp I built. Very pretty, sweet and clear tube sound. The OX supplies the room and speaker options. That goes into the little Yamaha mixer. Ipad is connected to another channel on the mixer via cable (sounds noticeably better than Bluetooth). I can use either headphones straight from the mixer, or send signal to the monitors.
    Whole thing sounds very good, and reacts just like a good tube amp should. Very dynamic, cleans up with picking dynamics and guitar volume. Feels a lot more “connected” than the Katana.

v-verb, 8nthatK, riffy and 10 others like this.
  8. communarchy

communarchy Supporting Member

9. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I don't get it. Why would you even bother with a Katana with all this other gear? Won't the Ox let you use just about any tube amp at usable playing/recording volume? With all this stuff I would have just sold half the pedals and saved up for a good tube amp with a good master volume.. no need to have all this crap.

ptgold likes this.
  10. 2tone

2tone Silver Supporting Member

Not bad Hogy..Now all you need is 2 more trays of fuzz pedals..

11. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

I bothered with the Katana because it's incredibly convenient. And I can take it on road trips and jam in the hotel room. I will keep it just for that.

Yes, the OX is a brilliant design. It does not allow for playing along with YouTube, which is how I learn new songs and practice with backing tracks. Hence the need for a mixer.

I could save up for a decent tube amp, I suppose. :D

But still, what I'm after here is late night jamming, mostly with headphones and backing tracks.

jcs, Tone_Terrific, TravisE and 5 others like this.
  12. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Looks pretty sweet. So, the only negative is the cat won’t leave it alone? There are a lot of ways to go way more overboard. Imho, the last thing you should do is get rid of the OX. You can use that with any amp you want. I’d get rid of that cat before I got rid of that.
    I’m not sure exactly what kind of volume restrictions you have but maybe having a little 110 or 112 cab will give you some amp in the room feel if/when you can turn it up a bit.

Also, you can fit a couple more pedals in there somewhere. Come on! :p

13. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

That is awesome. Nothing wrong with that.

I was looking at the Suhr rl ir to use with an old fender in my living room to practice with the iPad but realized I’d have all sorts of cabling across the floor which would be a hassle (I have a 4 kids).

I ended up with a pocket pod since it allows me to do the same with the fewest cables and can be set up/put away quickly, which is important. The sound is tolerable, that’s the best I can say.

The little Suhr head looks perfect but is out of my budget.

jcs likes this.
  14. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

Yeah, I have 5 cats. Electronics get warm with use. There will be cats stacked on every shelf once they figure it out.

That, and it's ugly. Maybe I could put it all into a nice little antique cabinet with doors. Something that looks better, keeps dust out.

I have a music room studio with no restrictions. This is the living room setup. I like to hang out with my wife who may be reading a book or watching TV. Headphones make that possible.

But yes, this is a first world problem for sure. Just me killing some time on TGP, gotta go and set up for an afternoon gig in an hour.

15. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

That’s your living room rig?! :eek:
    Hey, smoke em if you got em I always say. You could sell two of those pedals for a Princeton. :D

You’re lucky your wife doesn’t mind that in the living room. You should keep it until she realizes she hates it.

GL with the gig man!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  16. Al Rose

Al Rose Gold Supporting Member

You know, I bought an Orange Micro Terror for this very thing. Headphones out, one dirt and one verb pedal, aux in for my Mac, and I can play and listen and not disturb the wife. And it's fun to roll 12AX7 NOS tubes as well. I'm certain your rig sounds better, but my option is a whole less cables and space.....

Al

Cliffhydro and HeavyCream like this.
  17. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

18. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Supporting Member

ditch that tower full of hardware and get a PR.

19. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

To tear down this beautiful contraption would be a crime. Don’t do it.

20. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

I just use this:

[​IMG]

Teleman76 and HeavyCream like this.