Entering the Land o' Fuzz...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Braunzo, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I've always kind o fput off the idea of grabbing a fuzz just because I had a Big Muff Pi that was less than desireable. I played my room mate's fuzz face and what pretty impressed, so now I'm on the hunt for a good fuzz. I've done a lot of research the past few months and have a few in mind that I don't think I could go wrong with, but I'm in my last stages and I want to see what everyone says.

I've been digging the Tonebenders a ton as they work well with humbuckers from what I can gather. I dig the idea of having a lot of sustain and some pretty intense and hectic sounds, but having the ability to clean it up with my volume for more old school rhythm sounds.

As I've said, I've been digging WAY into the Tonebenders as some of my favorite tones are Jimmy Page and Mick Ronson, but I've also dug the idea of having an octave available when I need it, so I've also dug way into the Fulltone Ultimate Octave so I can rip off Josh Homme and some Psychedelia.

Any suggestions?

2. thisday1

thisday1 Member

for a slight octave up fuzz try a Superfuzz clone (Wattson super fuzz or MJM China are good I've heard). Very big fuzz and pretty snarly, but not a very obvious octave up. Not too much experience with tonebenders but I'm sure there are plenty good ones

3. Braunzo

Another side note... I really don't want to spend D*A*M prices on one of these things. I don't have a problem going a little over $200, but anymore than that, I'd probably have to pass.

4. MotorCityMatamp

MotorCityMatamp Member

skreddy lunar module

you can thank me later...

5. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Sounds like ur looking for something like the Prescription Electronics Yardbox - GREAT Tonebender/Jimmy Page tones.

6. Braunzo

I've always been pretty weary of Big Muff style fuzzes due to the mid cut... But I've always been intrigued by the Skreddy stuff. Got any decent clips/vids with 'buckers and singles?

7. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

i've always been under the impression that the lunar module is a fuzz face type. either way, its kickass, and i second that motion. The only other suggestion i would have is the Skreddy Screw Driver, and thats simply because you said you really like Page tones. the thing nails them. plus, you can get a decently hi-gain lead fuzz out of the screw driver as well. I have both of them, but unless you're looking for specifically a LEAD fuzz, i would probably say the Screw Driver or Screw Driver Deluxe would probably float your boat a little bit better... especially for rhythm! you could always ADD an octave effect later on!

8. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

Check with BYOC or GGG... they have some great options in your price range. I believe BYOC has a Tonebender clone called the ESV Fuzz 2.

9. bayside

bayside Member

move on. . forget the fuzz . . get into the Furr

10. jarder

jarder Member

Lunar Module is a great fuzz, but I keep reading good things about the MJM Britbender.

11. MotorCityMatamp

MotorCityMatamp Member

it's not a big muff clone, it's a silicon fuzz face, tons of great fuzz on tap.

12. Gtowngearhead

Gtowngearhead Member

Check out some Devi Ever pedals. The two knobbers are $95 and she seems to make just about any flavor of fuzz you could want.