Entry-level guitar, primarily for metal/hard rock, but overall use as well...?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AvocadoRivalry, Jun 26, 2008.

1. AvocadoRivalry

AvocadoRivalry Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for an entry-level guitar that is primarily suited for metal/heavy rock, but performs just as well across the spectrum.

I'm not exactly a beginner--I'm musically trained and I've always dabbled around with the guitar, but I'd like to actually start getting past playing chords and learning songs off the radio with the eventual goal of joining a metal band. I want a guitar with a great metal sound, plays well as a rhythm guitar, but has clear and crisp sounding solos and is easy to move around on.

I'm looking for a guitar to just get started on and get practicing on until I'm at the point where I want to be. I'm looking to spend no more than $500 (and I'm totally fine with used, so if you have model recommendations that are above that price new, but I can probably find on E-bay/craigslist used, be sure to list those too). I've been looking at the typical brands--Ibanez, Jackson, Dean, Schecter, but am kind of clueless as to what specific models would work best.

Thanks for the suggestions (and bonus points for people that can recommend a practice amp to help achieve the sound that I want!).

In case it helps, here are the bands I like and would like to emulate sound-wise:

Protest The Hero
    Fall of Troy
    Between the Buried and Me
    Avenged Sevenfold
    etc.

2. beej

beej Supporting Member

One guitar I'd suggest in that range is a Music Man Sub. Very similar build quality as the other MM instruments but this was their entry level product. Discontinued as it was priced very low. Can be had used for about $400. Dual humbuckers, excellent neck.

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Schecter would be a good choice.

4. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

A schecter could be a great guitar for you. I have one that I love to play on, was $499 I believe new. Plays and sounds great for heavy stuff, and is okay for other styles as well.

One guitar I've been very impressed with lately are the epiphone SG models (G-400). Very resonant and comfortable to play with some nice fretwork. I'd love to add one of these to the stable, and should sound great across a wide variety of styles, including some of the heavier bands that you have listed.

5. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

6. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

My friend bought a Schecter C-1 Plus as an entry-level guitar. I was there to approve the purchase, and I have to say this particular guitar was absolutely great for the price, from a playability perspective (tone wasn't half bad either, though new pickups would probably be good).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basic Specs:

- 24 jumbo frets, 24.75" scale
    - Mahogany/Maple body (the flame is solid I think)
    - Duncan Designed pickups
    - 2 volume pots, 1 tone pot (coil tap)
    - Grover tuners

I liked this guitar personally because I'm a short-scale guy, and it's got some vintage-esque appointments I appreciate. Most other Schecters are 25.5" or 26.5" in scale - depending on your hand size this may or may not be preferable. I play modern metal, but not the downtuned stuff generally (though I do listen to it) - I usually stay in the E / Eb / Drop D area. If you want to do a lot of downtuning though, you probably want one of the two longer scales. Guitars like these may be more up your alley then...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note: as a beginning guitarist playing metal, don't get a Floyd guitar. If you want one, make sure you find what tuning you like to play in first, because changing tunings on Floyds is exhausting.

7. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

+1 for the schecter

8. sgng

sgng Member

Let's get down and dirtier... I want something entry level for less than $300... I started with a CHEAP Kramer just to make sure I was going to stay with it, am looking for something slightly better but due to my late start not interested in major investment yet.

Non-metal player, mostly Praise and Worship music (ie Hillsongs), Standards (ie Buble, Sinatra), maybe some 80's guitar pop-rock for kicks (Billy Squier, Toto, Chicago, Journey, Boston, etc)

Any suggestions?... Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

OK, different needs, same guitar...

I don't think you can find better workmanship or value at that price point than the PRS SE models. And used you should be able to find one in the $300s. They play great, sound great and are good enough you should never have to upgrade (unless you stick around here, in which case you'll get a case of GAS [gear aquisition syndrome] and you'll spend all your spare cash on guitar/amp/pedal madness... Leave while there's still time!

10. sgng

sgng Member

"PRS SE"... Thanks, but who makes this? I'll check into if you provide a manufacturer name.

Also, any ideas on "new", less than 300 dollars? Long time listener, first time player!

11. John C

John C Supporting Member

PRS - Paul Reed Smith Guitars
    SE - their import line of 10 different models; made in Korea (used to be by World Guitars)

See http://www.prsguitars.com

There have been a bunch of SE models over the years; some come and go pretty quickly

12. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

+100000000

on the Schecter line

Phenomenal for the price range.
    Check out a C1+ or something along that line.
    The C1 Classic is gorgeous

13. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I'm thinking that the Schecter would be a great choice. Goto a music store that carries them and try as many as you can. EMG's are popular pickup choices for Metal and Hard Rock. Schecter often stocks guitars with "aftermarket" hardware and electronics, and the fit and finish is great!

As far as an amp goes, I would look in to the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL. That would be good for practice. If you want a gig ready amp for low dollars, I would check out the Peavey Windsor Head and a few pedals for the heavy stuff.

dk

14. 5E3

5E3 Member

You have a lot of choices, but definitely look at the Schecters.

15. rooster

rooster Member

I'm probably way in the minority here, but I'd probably look for a good used MIM strat and put a Humbucker in the bridge. Eventually, I'd upgrade the tuners and trem block, and probably electronics. I kind of like Fenders, even though I don't own one anymore. I always thought of their MIM and Highway 1 series guitars as pretty good bangs for the buck.

rooster.

16. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I agree the MIM Fenders are GREAT values. But I'm not sure that a Strat would be suitable for the music he is playing...

dk

17. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I went through this process choosing a guitar for a student, and picked out a Schecter Demon 6 for him
    Double cut-away with good access, 24 frets which is a must for metal styles, grat satin black finish, nice neck, good tuners etc, and looks way cool.
    I agree to avoid FR style trem bridges, as the tuning issues will kill you. I have one and I love it, but I need another for Eb. Go stoptail, so you can keep up wiht a many tunings you will need.
    For an amp, the Vix VAlvetronix, or Roland Cube 30 are both very good.

18. casadyrocks

casadyrocks Member

Schecters are the best under $1000 guitars -no questions! And -yes- I do own other guitars that cost less than $1000!

19. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

NO, not enough frets for a start !!