• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Entwistle & Moon VS. J Paul Jones & Bonham

Seminole224

Gold Supporting Member
Both were EXTREMELY solid rhythm sections and way beyond their time.

Which one do you prefer and why?

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Well, Bonham and JPJ were solid and inventive (as were Glover/Paice or Hughes/Paice).
Entwistle and Moon were creative and energetic, but not necessarily tight/solid.
All IMHO...

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Well, Bonham and JPJ were solid and inventive (as were Glover/Paice or Hughes/Paice).
Entwistle and Moon were creative and energetic, but not necessarily tight/solid.
All IMHO...
This. I will always consider Zep tighter than the WHO.

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
I see Zep as tighter, but I see The Who as more wild and free form perhaps? Either way both were different while being amazing in their own way.

JRC4558Dude

Interesting question, but if I may be so impolite as to answer a question with a question...

Can you imagine either band without their respective rhythm section?

I guess if absolutely had to choose, I'd say I prefer Bonham over Moon, but Entwistle over Jones...

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Interesting question, but if I may be so impolite as to answer a question with a question...

Can you imagine either band without their respective rhythm section?
This is pretty much where I come down on it. Like McCartney and Starr or Wyman and Watts, they so thoroughly defined the rhythm section for their respective bands that I cannot imagine any of these bands without them.

Bonham and Jones definitely had more groove in their playing, but then The Who was not conceived or developed as a groove band, and I cannot imagine anyone other than Ox and Moonie creating the sound of The Who.

Zeppelin would not sound like Zeppelin without Bonham and Jones; The Who would not sound like The Who without Entwistle and Moon.

Tripower455

Big fan of both, but I've gotta go with The Who, especially live, as the more exciting and unpredictable band.... Townshend, Entwistle and Moon are my favorite rhythm AND lead section, bar none.....

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
This is a bit like asking what food is better- pizza or burritos?

It is interesting how Keith Moon's playing and style sort of lived and died with him. MOst drummers can rattle off Bonham licks without even trying to. His vocabulary translated to budding drummers for the last two generations, but Moon's didn't. Maybe Moon's stuff is just that untouchable (or more likely, not usable in your typical 4 piece rock band)?

Entwistle got pretty annoying around Who by Numbers and beyond, IMO. The playing in "Dreaming from the Waist", as an example is total wank. I mean, there is some ridiculous technique going on there, but it sounds like he was just playing up his own legend as opposed to just trying to complement the song. Emminence Front is another example. The song is ALL groove, and he does everything he can to stay out of it both in terms of tone (thin, trebly choused BASS) and that line he plays.

DWB1960

Most drummers can rattle off Bonham licks without even trying to.
True, but I haven't heard any of them (including his son) match Bonzo's sound, feel, or groove. John had a swing that eludes even the drummers in the Zep tribute bands I've heard.

Wake911

JPJ and Bonham all the way to me.

Moon was too out there for my tastes, almost felt more like a lead drummer too often, which is a reason i love the who....but for a rhythm section, that isn't what i'd be looking for...i want more of a steady, locked in groove, which is what I feel listening to most zeppelin.

mifar55

Gold Supporting Member
Saw both a few times in the 70's. They are both very different rhythm sections. Entwistle had very little choice but to play in the pocket, because Moon was over the place (and yes, he was fantastic at what he did). On the flipside, Jones and Bonham complemented each other. Entwistle and Jones were more alike then Moon and Bonham. Moon dazzled you with flash and energy, while Bonham could wow you just with his power and the beats chose. IMO, John Bonham was the best recorded drummer in rock history.

Tonekat

Gold Supporting Member
JPJ and Entwhistle were both good, Ent definitely played a lead bass kind of thing.

Bonham had this great thunder of a sound and played so far behind the beat he was slightly in front of it.

Moon didn't use a hi-hat and had his unique, if sometimes sloppy, all over the place style.

Trending Topics