Envelope filter before or after dirt?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Simon, Jun 23, 2018.

1. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

I don't think Jerry stacked his Mutron, with a drive pedal. If anyone can give an example, please share. I've never heard of him doing so.

Riffa likes this.
  2. Riffa

Riffa Member

There's no wrong way to do it, but I personally prefer phasing before dirt because that gives me a much sweeter (and subtler) modulated sound.

About using EFs after dirt: I did a search on demos and came across this TPS episode on which Daniel shows a Mutron into an OCD and then switches that order (12:58). There's a brief discussion that follows. Interesting.

3. Steven

Steven Member

I have my AW before compression and dirt since an AW is using the dynamics of your signal to do its thing.

4. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

Moving it first in the chain did some really nice stuff to make it playable, but it sure removes a whole mess of noise-generation ability for me. I'm not sure what the deal is, I'll have to mess around with it more.

5. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

(I'll save the time: obvious smart solution is get another one.)