Envelope filter options

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shakti, May 18, 2006.

1. shakti

shakti Member

I've been lusting a bit for a good envelope filter. What are the options out there? Vintage or current, boutique or non-boutique, tell me all about them, their pros and cons, options, controls, sizes, power requirements etc!

Anyone out there with a vintage Mu-Tron? How big is it?

2. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

The big hit right now seems to be with the EMMA DiscumBOBulator. I've got one, so I can say from personal experience that it's hot, Hot, HOT!

I'll defer to others who have first-hand experience with other filters.

- Keith

3. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

others include the byoc (which ic a DOD), xotic, Mxr.
    thats all i can think of from my head im looking for one too, so i only know about them not what the sound like.

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

Check out the Robotalk

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

EH Q-Tron here. Sounds just like I want it to in any given situation. Very versatile. Everything the Mutron reissue should have been (that is, should have sounded like). For me, it's a keeper for the sound alone. But...

Dislikes/Cons:
    Affects tone when in the chain, even when not on
    HUGE EH footprint
    EH power supply has been known to crap out

6. jordanL

jordanL Member

I've been very happy with the mini-qtron, but its a large footprint, I think its the same size case as a muff.

For informal uuse when I want something small I use the guyatone WR-3 wah rocker. Has its own vibe, works well with low output pickups. One nice feature is a blend switch so unprocessed signal is always present. Keeps the sound full.

7. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

There's also the Maxon AF-9, and Rastop was making a hip one for a while. The EH Dr. Q is a one trick pony, but does that trick really well. The old Menatone mail bomb was pretty cool too.

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i've been through a lot of these. for the soft jerry-style envelope filter, i recommend

q-tron
    mxr envelope filter
    original mutron

the mutron is probably about the same size as the q-tron, it's just long and narrower whil the q-tron is more square. the q-tron is extremely close. i would say it might not have all the fat mojo of the original, but that might also just be in my head.

the mxr is very good indeed and has a tiny footprint. not as many knobs, but not really necessary. it's also quite reliable and sturdy. you can usually find them under $100 on ebay.

9. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

how bout thhe tone factor analouge filter? I was looking at that one for myself. anyone have it with a good critique?

10. gururyan

gururyan Member

I third the vintage MXR Envelope Filter. I really enjoy mine. I didn't care much for my Menatone Mail Bomb and hated the EHX Dr. Q.

11. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

Two more options which I love and use:

Pigtronix EP-1 this is very versatile and great sounding, very tweakable, and also gives you an equally tweakable phaser in one easy (though not small) package. Analog, and feels/sounds like it. I picked up an early script-logo Phase 90 recently, and was able to get close enough with the EP-1 that I flipped the Phase 90 and haven't regretted it. It's pretty easy to get a Mutron vibe going with this thing too.

Frostwave Funk-A-Duck more of a modular synth type filter, wants to see an input signal hotter than your typical guitar pickup, but with a fuzz/boost/drive in front of it this thing kills. Also way, way versatile and tweaky, so much so that it's probably not a good candidate for a live pedalboard unless it's situated in such a way that the knobs cannot possibly be touched inadvertantly. A fabulous studio tool if you're good at dialing tones in on complicated gear. Recently used it on a track and set it to sound like a cross between a traditional envelope follower and an electric sitar. Perfect, and nothing else I've ever played could have done it.

Hope this helps. Lots of choices out there, hmmm?

12. RickB

RickB Member

Hands down an amazing pedal. I have owned a couple of them and am getting another. I have only sold them when I needed to raise funds and they are easy to dump quick because a lot of people want them. It is an addictive pedal. Has a great feel and sound to it. And the price can not be beat.

I just ordered a BYOC filter pedal that should be here tomorrow.

13. meterman

meterman Member

Contact Mike at Prophecy Sound Systems and BEG him to build you a Rubber Fetish!! It's based on a Mutron III with some extra tweaks - mine has 9 knobs and 2 toggles on a Hammond 1590B box! I have played a number of other filters and the RF is simply amazing.....

www.prophecysound.com

14. entraind

entraind Member

+1 on the Q-tron if you have unlimited space.

+1 on the Rastop if you are looking for a smaller enclosure....

15. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

I feel if you have the cash, it's really worth getting an original mutron...they're that good. I know a guy named Shad Damrom in Washington State who services and mods them. The closest thing I've heard to an original mutron is the Ibanez AF-9 (or the reissue Maxon AF-9), or the EH Q-tron. The MXR env filter is very good, but not as warm or organic feeling...same with the EMMA IMHO.

16. shakti

shakti Member

Just looked at the Rubber Fetish and it looks like a good idea...the dual ones are way too big for me though, so I emailed Mike and asked him about a single one. Still just an idea, I have been having a pedal gas phase lately after concentrating on amps for a while. I want to complete the pedal board and am looking for the "perfect" lineup, but I think I should play what I have for a little longer and see what sticks and what doesn't work so well. But having the option of having it custom built sounds great, makes it so much easier to fit on the board as the very last pedal!

Any sound clips out there of the Rubber Fetish?

The DiscumBOBulator looks good too.

17. shakti

shakti Member

BTW; thanks for all the tips! Still looking for the exact dimensions of the original Mu-tron III though...

18. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

I've had a DOD, Digitech Synth Wah, and an EH Mini Qtron. Currently own the Emma DiscumBOBulator. It blows the others out of the water in all regards. I cannot compare to any other gear.

My own personal envelope filter quest is at an end. Every time I step on that pedal I grin - and for me that's the only acceptance criteria for a pedal.

19. msp

msp Member

not going to mention those previously posted so far (but i would love to comment as i have owned allmost all of them if questions arise)

but the moog lfo is good: verry spendy and certainly has its own sound that can not be avoided

i currently use the chunk systems oofunk mkII (highly recomend it........verry controlable and full and the best part is there are various types of envelope sounds in here.........the only other ef i have heard that sounds as musical is the origonal mutron III..... i really feel like the chunk systems can get most of the sounds in that box as well)

20. PFCG

PFCG Member

MOOG boys and gals, the moog is the ultimate envelope filter, its outrageously tweakable, and all analog, not to mention the cool lookin box!