Envelope Filter

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lesterman123, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Lesterman123

Lesterman123 Member

well guys, whenever I cant decide on a pedal to buy I come for help to you guys, and this occasion is no different. I am looking to buy an envelope filter. Ive been looking at buying an Emma Discumbobulator, or maybe a MXR envelope filter. I also looked at the Electro Harmonix mini q-ton, but i have found its far too big and takes up too much space on my board, I know tone is important but the space is limited and evertying elese on my board i like and want to keep, so any advice? thanks.

2. Lesterman123

Lesterman123 Member

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I really liked the discumbobulator.

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

I searched and searched, had the Menatone Mail Bomb on my board last until I finally found THE envelope for me, the vintage MXR Envelope Filter. If I had to pick a runner up, the Maxon AF-9 for sure. I believe you can get into a vintage MXR Envelope Filter for $100-$150. If you end up not liking it, it should be a snap to resell....although you will most likely keep it. Be careful though, some dude bought up some old MXR stock and put together some Envelope Filters himself with some MXR nos parts and some modern day cheap substitute parts. The pots were the biggest clue, make sure they are CTS pots.

5. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Try the Maxon AF9 if size is important. I slightly prefer the EHX Mini Q-Tron to it (I own both), but they are pretty close. That MXR M120 Auto Q pedal looks like it is very tweakable...I never tried one, looks cool. The AF9 and Q-Tron are more straight forward, yet still tweakable enough for me.

6. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I'm looking for one myself, so far I am leaning towards the Mini Q. The Tonefactor analogue DOD things looks very nice too, pretty much torn between those two.
    Couldn't the Mini Q be rehoused?

7. Lesterman123

Lesterman123 Member

Yeah I was thinking about that too, I might have to look into that, the only problem is i dont know how much of the board actually takes up the inside of the casing, I really dont understand why they have to make the pedal soo damn big but EH tends to do that for some reason.

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I had and dug the Discumbobulator, but in the end Alexander Rastop made me the envelope filter of my dreams. Small, and exceptionally good sounding. Monster little thing: www.rastopdesigns.com

9. msp

msp Member

agreed the rasptop ev is nice i have played one for a week....i was considering having one built for me...

but i am intrigued by the chunksystems oofunk mkII

i'm going to throw down on one first and see how it sounds

too bad the company is in australia and no body keeps the pedals in stock here