• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Envelope Phaser or Deja Vibe

I've had a Deja Vibe for some time, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I bought it mid-Trower binge, and I haven't regretted it. Yesterday, I visited a friend, and his wife bought him an Envelope Phaser, from Pigtronix. He let me play through it, and I was impressed. I didn't get the chance to A/B it with the Deja Vibe, but I'm strongly considering selling my Deja Vibe, and getting an EP2. It did a reasonable job at approximating vibe tones with decent drive, and virtually everything else in Phase Shifter land pretty well. I've loved everything I've bought from Pigtronix, but I'm worried that, without the ability to compare, I'll regret it. I figure I'll visit him soon, and do a proper A/B, but it also seemed worthwhile to inquire as to what others experiences have been.

So, based on your experiences with the units, which would you go for, and for what reason.

Shoegazers A

I've had both. The EP-2 does a good work as vibe, and a lot more. A fun pedal! The downside is that it has a annoying clock sound. Even if used alone with high quality power it is there. I mailed to Pigtronix and was told that it was the nature of the pedal together with a manual for a mod that "could make it a little quiter" but not silent.

They are helpful and all that, but I ended up selling it. I also sold the Mini Deja Vibe 2 before that to do as you are thinking about - use the EP-2. But in a band on high level it didn't work cause of the ticking clock noise. Miss it sometimes but today I use a Whirlwind Orange box phaser instead and are happy with that.

Modulator

Look at the Empress Phaser, it has an envelope mode as well as a ton of different waveforms for the LFO. Can fill in for a vibe, but it's more "goopy" than a vibe, almost filter-like on the high resonance setting. Sounds great and I've never noticed any clock noise from it.

I've had both. The EP-2 does a good work as vibe, and a lot more. A fun pedal! The downside is that it has a annoying clock sound. Even if used alone with high quality power it is there. I mailed to Pigtronix and was told that it was the nature of the pedal together with a manual for a mod that "could make it a little quiter" but not silent.

They are helpful and all that, but I ended up selling it. I also sold the Mini Deja Vibe 2 before that to do as you are thinking about - use the EP-2. But in a band on high level it didn't work cause of the ticking clock noise. Miss it sometimes but today I use a Whirlwind Orange box phaser instead and are happy with that.
Interesting. I'll listen for the noise when I play it next time. I didn't hear it.

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned the MDV-1 (9V, black) and MDV-3 (blue treadle version) of the newest Fulltone vibes--- I think they are great! That said, the Chorus setting is not as "wet" & throbby as some folks want it to be, though you can bump the throb up a bit by adjusting the internal trimmer. The Vibrato setting was terrific, though.

I can't comment on the Pigtonix but it sure looks cool.

Currently I'm in love with a 5 knob Lovepedal Vibronaut .... it took patience in tweaking internal trim pots, but the payoff was pretty substantial. Great "swoosh" and quite liquidy.... tons of throb available by pumping up the Intensity and Bass knobs.

I'm thinking that the Envelope Phaser will probably be the one. I haven't tested it yet, but between this thread, and my initial impression of the unit, that's my thought going in.

The Empress looks awesome, but costs to much for an effect I only use on occasion.

Shoegazers A

It´s also really cool to put a delay in front of it.

About the clock noise from the LFO, maybe not all units have this problem, but mine got it. I always thought it was a powering problem cause I had a Cioks Big John (the old one) that doesn´t had isolated outputs and used with a doubler cable for 18V. But even when i tried it with the following Pigtronix adapter, same noise, and when using my Voodoo Lab the same. After that I contacted Pigtronix and asked if my unit was wrong or bad in some way. But they wrote back and said that it was nothing wrong and that it was a known problem to them. If I had the answear left I would have posted it here, but I can´t find it. I must have deleted it after selling the unit.

Maybe not all units have this thing goning on, so test some out before buying.

The Envelope Phaser is a great unit, very warm. Mine has no noise. I own a couple Pigtronix pedals and all of them are inspiration machines. I plug them in and lose hours.

The Empress phaser is a good phaser, but if I were picking between it and Pigtronix, I'd go Pigtronix.

I've never owned the original Deja Vibe, but I have owned a MDV2 and more currently an MDV3. Now you've got me wondering how they would sound side by side lol. I plan on doing a vibe shoot out eventually.

It´s also really cool to put a delay in front of it.

About the clock noise from the LFO, maybe not all units have this problem, but mine got it. I always thought it was a powering problem cause I had a Cioks Big John (the old one) that doesn´t had isolated outputs and used with a doubler cable for 18V. But even when i tried it with the following Pigtronix adapter, same noise, and when using my Voodoo Lab the same. After that I contacted Pigtronix and asked if my unit was wrong or bad in some way. But they wrote back and said that it was nothing wrong and that it was a known problem to them. If I had the answear left I would have posted it here, but I can´t find it. I must have deleted it after selling the unit.

Maybe not all units have this thing goning on, so test some out before buying.
Maybe it's only a problem in earlier units. I'll definitely try before buying.

The Envelope Phaser is a great unit, very warm. Mine has no noise. I own a couple Pigtronix pedals and all of them are inspiration machines. I plug them in and lose hours.

The Empress phaser is a good phaser, but if I were picking between it and Pigtronix, I'd go Pigtronix.

I've never owned the original Deja Vibe, but I have owned a MDV2 and more currently an MDV3. Now you've got me wondering how they would sound side by side lol. I plan on doing a vibe shoot out eventually.
I have an Echolution 2 Deluxe and Philosopher King. They really are a top notch company, with top notch products.

My Deja is the Black MDV-1, which is identical to the MDV-3, I think. I'd be interested in hearing that shootout!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom