EP-2 help (pigtronix env. filter)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by soulrebel83, Jan 29, 2012.

1. soulrebel83

soulrebel83 Member

Hey just played a show with the thing last night but man that thing did not cut through at all. Is this a common thing for envelope filters or something specific to the EP 2 (ie, is it worth it for me to swap it for another kind?)

2. ruach1

ruach1 Member

I've had the predecessor, the EP-1, which had the same issues. Sounded great on its own, at home, but not very useful at a gig.

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

They're stuff always sounds super low-mid heavy to me.

I don't really dig the base tone of my philosopher king, but it is the only vca in pedal format.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Envelopes have a tendency to get lost, because you're intentionally skimming off some of the signal, either for dynamics or EQ. With a LPF/Envelop you can help by increasing the resonance, or by feeding it a signal with a lot of highs in it (fuzz). With envelopes driving purely dynamics (Slow Gear), phasers and so on, the effect is harder to deal with...

5. soulrebel83

soulrebel83 Member

Yeah that's really quite a shame because I think the pedal sounds amazing. It'd be a shame to take it off my board!

6. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

how clean do you need it? You could add a really cutting pedal like an octave fuzz with it that might make it more pronounced, though obviously it would sound different.

7. mc2

mc2 Member

It's a great Pedal for sure. Have you a clean boost hat you can run in front of it?

8. mc2

mc2 Member

I have mine goosed by a Timmy and have been doing ok with that. I have no fuzz to try. The vibe portion of the pedal does fine but I think the nature of filters, sweeping off a portion of your frequency, inherently cost you something. So you do need to compensate with a boost.

At home, I too, am fine with just the pedal for both EF/vibe.

9. soulrebel83

soulrebel83 Member

I run a super chili picoso at the front of my chain. But yeah it makes sense that it would be hard to cut through in the mix due to the nature of the effect. I'll keep experimenting!

10. mc2

mc2 Member

I asked a question about triggering/opening the filters a few weeks ago, and someone also recommended a compressor in front of a filter. I currently don't own a compressor either, but if you so, give that a shot. I'd have no clue as to how to use or set it though...

11. thewex

thewex Member

Never had a problem with my EP-1, but I ran a TP and EQ after. It might just take some boost