• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

EP Booster making noises at 18V ???

mingo

My EP Booster runs fine at 9V, but I tried to run it at 18V and it seems to make a ticking noise thats faint every 5 seconds or so....Anyone else experience this?? I tried different power cables and outputs, but still the same thing. I'm running a DC Brick.

I emailed Xotic about it from the website months ago but they never got back to me, so maybe i'll try again but thought i'd try here... Someone will probably get back to me here.

Last edited:

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
A question for you here is, Did you inquire w/ the manufacturer whether the EP Booster can run at 18V? That could be the stem of your problems. I don't usually run any pedal at a hire voltage unless the manufacturer has stated that it is safe to do so. If it can, I would check your power supply to see whether the outlet it's plugged into is at the required voltage or that the power cable is properly connected. IMO

venivici

The EP is designed to run at 9 or 18. I run mine off a Voodoo ISO 5 at 18V with no problems at all,I would try to get hold of Xotic again, they stand behind their products. If you got it recently, I would contact the place you purchased it from to see if they have another one you can try.

4styx

There's a good chance it's amplifing a noise that's already there.Just a thought.

Wildwind

On mine, I found it was real touchy about 9V power supplies, though all I was getting was a low hum. Using just batttery or a better PS solved that. I don't have an 18V source to try, would like to.

I think they're a bit touchy about power is all. Great sounding device.

mingo

There's a good chance it's amplifing a noise that's already there.Just a thought.
good point but i tried it out on another amp, and still made the noise. and as soon as i put it back to 9V the noise stops.

DenverDrew

Possible it's the pedal, also possible it's the power supply. I recommend switching out to a vodoo pedal power 2+, solved every noise issue I had from my pedals. Most were quiter than on battery power. Best of luck though, 18v EP boost is sick.

The Caper Kid

Are you powering any other pedals at the same time with your DC Brick? I would suggest disconnecting the power from your other pedals to see if any of them are responsible for the ticking noises.

I'm suggesting this because I also have a Diamond Tremolo and when I turn on some of my drive pedals, I get a faint ticking which is in time with the LED on the tremolo. And both that drive pedal and the tremolo are sharing the same power supply.

mingo

Are you powering any other pedals at the same time with your DC Brick? I would suggest disconnecting the power from your other pedals to see if any of them are responsible for the ticking noises.

I'm suggesting this because I also have a Diamond Tremolo and when I turn on some of my drive pedals, I get a faint ticking which is in time with the LED on the tremolo. And both that drive pedal and the tremolo are sharing the same power supply.
good suggestion, i unplugged everything but the EP and at 18V still did it. hmmm, i tried contacting xotic again.

by the way, sometimes that happens with my diamond trem too!!

mingo

Xotic says its the DC Brick making the noise at 18V.

They recommended a Dunlop 18V adaptor.

They said proceed with caution with Pedal Power @ 18V but it would work.

Trending Topics