EP3 Echoplex Noisy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by okie, Feb 13, 2012.

1. okie

okie Supporting Member

I recently picked up an all original early '70's Maestro Echoplex EP3 and it seems fairly noisy. I do not have any previous experience with one so I do not know what the noise shelf is on these.

The noise is not bad on a clean tone but you know it's there and when cranked its definitely very audible. Dirty tones and its fairly prominent even at lower volumes.

I cleaned and demagnatized the heads, adjusted the vol pot for the lowest noise, cleaned rollers, and put in a new Orbit tape cartridge. Everything else is original and it runs and sounds great. Switching the echo on and off makes no difference in the noise level shelf.

Are these units inherently slightly noisy or is there something I can do short of sending it off to a pro.

Thanks for any help!

2. FAC

FAC Member

Can you describe the noise? Are you talking about 60 cycle hum, hiss, or what?

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

THIS tells me somethings wrong. The noise from tape delays is inherent in the recording and playing back of tape recordings (low-fi tape stuff). So when you turn the echo off with the footswitch, the hisssss noise should stop.

Just like the post above, can you describe the sound better?

4. okie

okie Supporting Member

Noise is not 60 cycle hum, it's like a "ssshhhh" type white noise. Noise is there and doesn't change with the echo footswitch on or off.

It's tolerable with a clean tone but noisy with dirt.

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Somethings up. I'd say take her apart and take some photos of the inside. I'm curious if there might be some mods. Or possibly that horrible compression circuit, found in some later EP3s is to blame.

Lastly, it could just come down to the little transistor in the preamp. It could have gone bad.

Either way, the unit should be practically silent with the echo off.

6. okie

okie Supporting Member

Thanks for the help, it's an early EP-3 so no compression circuit thank goodness and looked all original when I had it apart.

It's definitely not silent with the echo off. I'm not an electronics guru so it's probably off to Orbit or some other pro when funds allow.

7. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Its your call. the circuit with the echo off is extremely simple. Literallly 10-12 components total. And of those, the tranny is probably the only thing that would cause the "hissss".