(Epi) 339 Pro pickup rings

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Wayne8, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Wayne8

Wayne8 Member

Got a new one and the neck pickup is not parallel to the strings, which I see is common to both Epi's and Gibsons, and also is considered "normal' according to Gibson.

I see a lot of folks turn the pickup ring around to make the pickup more level. From what I gather, this is mostly cosmetic with little or no effect to the sound.

The look doesn't bother me, as you really can't tell looking at it from the front. Looking at it from the side, the back part of the pickup cover (where there are no screws) looks level with the top of the screws on the front side of the pickup, in relation to the strings. So, my question is, from a purely sound standpoint, isn't the pickup 'level', as intended by Gibson?

2. mschafft

mschafft Member

I've reversed the neck pickup ring on both my cherry and sunburst Epi 339 and couldn't be happier. It's not even a design flaw, more like a set up nonsense. Easily fixed.

On a side note, every SG with the full face batwing pickguard has pickups parallel to the body instead of the strings. But that's another (absurd) story...

3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i don't really care if a pickup is level if it doesn't look absurd.
    burstbucker 2 in the neck here. the bass was a bit strong, so i lowered that side. YOU may not even notice unless you were holding the guitar and looking for it. sounds perfect now. perfect.
    meanwhile, i have no idea if this helps answer your question/s.