Epi 339 Pro - Replace Stock Pickups With?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Unadan, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Unadan

Unadan Member

Just got my Epiphone 339 Pro in Pelham Blue. Pretty great sounding guitar out of the box. Includes the Epi Alnico Classic Pro pickups with coil tapping. Here are the pickups I'm considering as a replacement:

Gibson 57 Classics
    SD Seth Lovers or Antiquities or Sat. Night Specials
    Dimarzio 36th Anniv. PAFs.

What do you think of those choices above? Or look into something else? Honestly the stock PUs are pretty good (Alnico 5 magnets) so I could just keep it stock.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  2. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Yeah, the first question is what, specifically, do you think is wrong with the stock pickups? I did some checking, and those pickups apparently have nickel silver pickup covers, so my main gripe, brass covers, which are tone killers, has been covered. Still, I might try removing the covers if I thought it sounded a bit dull before I bought new pickups.

Unadan likes this.
  3. Luke V

Luke V Member

I love the '57 Classics in my '07 339.

Unadan likes this.
  4. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

The pickups on the Pro versions of those guitars are excellent in my opinion. I had an Epi 339 Pro and really, really liked it.

But I had the opportunity and the money to upgrade to a used Gibson. I really, really like the Gibson Classic 57’s in the bridge position. I have them in my 339, 335 and Les Paul. But I personally find them a bit woolly in the neck position - although they sound wonderful for Bonamassa type solo tones.

So I match the bridge Classic 57 in my 339 with a Bare Knuckle Mule in the neck.

Not sure if this helps. The stock pickups sound really good.

Unadan likes this.
  5. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Mojotone ‘59 Clone humbuckers or Mojotone Classic humbuckers.
    Boutique quality priced like the big name manufacturers.

Unadan and jordans0nly like this.
  6. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Supporting Member

I've got mojotone Classics in my LP. Thinking about selling, want something hotter..

Unadan and Bucksears like this.
  7. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

So far, loving the Mojo '56 Quiet Coil P90s in my ES-339 P90 Pro, and the '59 Clones in my Ibanez AS120 (335-type). I have the Hot Classic waiting to go in my Peavey Wolfgang Standard. Have to say, for most thing vintage or 'hot vintage', I'll look at Mojotone's offerings first.
    For anything beyond 'hot vintage', I'll typically go DiMarzio (although I do have 2 or 3 sets of the 36th Anniversary PAFs around here).

Unadan likes this.
  8. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

No disrespect intended, but if its new and the pickups are decent, don't be so quick to yank em out. I'm sure with a proper adjustment you will find them just fine. Unless, you are looking for another sound altogether.

Not referring to the OP, I just don't get why so many guitarists rip out the original pickups for something new off the hop... Makes you wonder why you bought the guitar in the first place.

Unadan likes this.
  9. Unadan

Unadan Member

I'm in no hurry to change them. I've been experimenting with different pickup heights (which makes a huge difference btw). If I replace them it would be out of curiousity. I've always wanted a pair of Seth Lovers in a guitar. Stock Epi pickups sounds pretty darn good vs the Burstbuckers in my Gibson 335. Alnico 5 mags in the EPI makes the pickup a bit more bassy but overall still very articulate.

10. Jimmy MAck

Jimmy MAck Member

I tried several 339 Pro's with h/bers, and I thought they were lackluster in tone. When I tried the 339 Pro with P90's, I got real excited. When I tried another one on a diff. day, same thing....Excitement. So I bought one, and let me tell you, it was perfect right out of the box, and I am picky! I have played it for 2 +years now, at gigs, and it is still exciting, my main blues/rock guitar. A buddy offered me a pair of expensive boutique P90's to try out, and I was going to do the swap, but then realized that it just wasn't worth it. Stock p90's are excellent.
    For h/ber swaps, Seth Lovers would be my 1st choice. Nothing but good comments on them!

Unadan and jordans0nly like this.
  11. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

I’d go with the Seth Lovers of the ‘57 Gibbys.

I had a set of 36th annis on a semi hollow and found them be mid rangy

can’t go wrong with P-90’s either

Unadan likes this.
  12. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

I had that ES339 PRO and thought it sounded really good stock... percfect for Classic rock. They are different pickups than the regular crappy "Alnico Classics" that Epiphone used to put in their guitars.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Unadan likes this.
  13. derekd

derekd Member

If you decide to replace them, all your above choices are just various different versions of the same basic PAF. Toss in Lollar's Low Wind Imperials and you have most of the pickups people goto for that classic sound.

My Gibby 339 came with 57s. They work great for that guitar.

Unadan likes this.
  14. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

jordans0nly likes this.
  15. Unadan

Unadan Member

Anyone think the Fralin Pure PAFs are better than the Seth Lovers?