epi dot rewiring, mallory 150's vs musicaps

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by QuickDraw, May 24, 2006.

1. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

ok so is there going to be a huge difference if i choose mallory 150's or muicaps? i've got new pickups (highorder) new pots (cts 500k audio) and
    a new jack(switchcraft), i will be reusing the existing switch.

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I have installed Mallory 150 caps in a few guitars, to see if there was any noticeable difference between them and poly caps. I heard no difference -- and I use the tone controls, extensively. I suspect the reason I heard no difference is that the tolerance of both types of caps is tight, meaning a .047uF Mallory 150 or poly cap is going to be closer to .047uF than a ceramic cap would be.

3. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

yea i would guess that the extra $20 for the 2 .022 musicaps wouldnt make much if any differance but i really only want to wire it up 1 time. $20 seems like a lot for 2 small caps but if they make a big tone improvement i want them in there. Thanks Jim!

-Patrick

can't wait to get my new pickups in and my first guitar back in rotation.

4. AL30

AL30 Member

You'll get more miles out of changing the value of the caps. Hearing tones in different brands is subjective at best - there is no strong data to prove it works or doesn't work. However, changing the values... works.

IMO - while trying different brands to see if you hear a noticeable difference is great research on your hunt for "the tone" $20 for 2 capacitors is :NUTS

AL

5. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

thanks man, yea i tend to agree, just wanted to make sure cuz these guitars are a PITA to wire, i'd like to only do it once.

btw the project is well under way, i might make a photo tutorial of the project to help others who want to do something like this to their epiphone.

this project was inspired by John Silberman's hagstrom restoration.

6. alderbody

alderbody Member

I have Mallory 150's in my WCR Crossroads loaded Epi Dot.

They are just fine!

btw, i have Hovlands in my strats. They are great but i could live without them... :D

7. AL30

AL30 Member

Interesting. Thanks for that link TKS.

AL