Epi EL-00 or Seagull Excursion Folk?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by shwn, Feb 24, 2015.

1. shwn

shwn Member

Hello everyone!
    I'm in the market for a smaller sized acoustic and so far I've narrowed it down to the Epi EL-00 or the Seagull Excursion Folk ISYS.... Can anyone give me their opinions on which one I should get? I can't go up to $500 so I'm trying to find a good solid acoustic to mess around with at home... If I go with the Epi I'm changing out the bridge pins, nut, and saddle with graph tech... The Seagull only needs the bridge pins...
    I'm using part of my tax return to get an acoustic for around the house since seeing Tommy Emmanuel gave me GAS for something to fingerpick on!
    I've never owned an acoustic, but I've tried these and their body size fits what I'm looking for...
    I'm going thru Sweetwater to make the purchase BTW....
    So... Opinions?
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Look at recording king, for 500 bucks you can get a lot of guitar, not that those two are not decent choices, I have just been more impressed with recording king's options.

3. tonefinger

tonefinger Member

I think the Seagull is a far better option than an Epiphone.

4. shwn

shwn Member

Ill look into the Recording King models a bit further... They look like they have quality... I like the Seagull over the Epi because I won't have to change the nut and saddle; they're already TUSQ... Just the bridge pins...

5. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Never played the Seagull but have never played an Epi L-00 I would take home. I would also suggest you think about buying used. Your money will go a lot farther.

6. shwn

shwn Member

Can anyone explain the feel of a seagull neck to me? I don't have one nearby that I can try... The Epi almost felt like an electric style neck to me...

7. shwn

shwn Member

I couldn't find an acoustic/electric from Recording King in the $500 range.... They look very nice; maybe I just missed it somewhere....

8. shwn

shwn Member

Oops! I need to learn English better! They are acoustic/electric! Controls are in the sound hole! Yes, I feel idiotic!

9. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

I have a Seagull Performer and it's wicked good. I'm not sure if it's the same on all Seagulls, but mine has that little bit of extra wide neck. At first I didn't know if I would like it, but before long I fell in love with that too. The thing about Seagulls is they take great care with each instrument, so my vote would be for them, even though I've had an Epi before. They're good too, but definitely more care put into a Seagull.

10. shwn

shwn Member

The neck is wider than the Epi... I'm definitely leaning towards the Seagull excursion Folk with the Isys system....

11. shwn

shwn Member

I pulled the trigger and bought the Seagull... Now I just have to wait on FedEx to do their thing!

12. shwn

shwn Member

It just arrived! It has a very low, low-mids tone to it... Not high or piercing at all like a lot of acoustics I've played on the higher strings.. I'm gonna play with it all day and see if I can get a better feel for it!