EPI Korina V's & Esplorers?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Redbell, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Redbell

Redbell Member

Has anybody tried either of these? Are they good quality wood, tone etc.
    They LOOK like a good bargin but I've not had the opportunity to play one in a store. Thanks.

2. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

The Epis are not solid korina.. they're multi-piece alder or agathis with korina veneer. however, they sound and play OK.

i'd recommend looking for a Japanese import replica V or Explorer like an Edwards by ESP. They cost only a bit more than the Epis, and use real mahogany bodies and nitro finishes.

3. Redbell

Redbell Member

Thanks, if they're not solid Korina I don't want one!

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I don't doubt they're veneer but I'm curious.

What do they do with the edges on a clear finish? That has to look like crap.

5. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

i have no idea, haven't had the chance to look at one that closely.

6. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I recently purchased an epi Korina V 58 reissue.
    I dont think the Korina is veneer. There are no seams evident, and the grain matches on the sides and back. The guitar is extremely resonant, and very light-about 7 pounds loaded.
    I have already swapped out the pickups for a set of WCR fillmore zebras. It sounds killer.
    Next will be a full historic electronics kit from RS and a Tonepros bridge.
    I got the guitar nearly new on eBay for $325 with hard case. By the time I'm done the total will be around $750.
    Major bang for the buck.
    the factory neck and fret work is very clean, and the Epi Vs already have Kluson tuners. theres nothing left to do but enjoy.
    Regardlessof the wood, my 55 year old back enjoys the light weight, and it really rings, even unplugged. I dont think laminate would be that resonant. Whatever. For the money, it looks, plays and sounds great.

7. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I played an Epi, not korina , Explorer once used at GC. They wanted 200 for it because it had pinup stickeron it. I passed because i did not have the cash. I regret it. It had to be one of the best playing guitars i ever felt. And im not an Epi phan. I have an R9 which is amazing but this Epi was a special one

8. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

I bought my son one of the Epi Korina V's and it was a nice playing guitar. I even used it on one of my gigs and this was with the original electronics. I keep threatening to buy myself one of the Epi Korina Explorers. I like to hear it with some good pickups and an RS kit.

9. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

I owned one for about a month when I was 16. It was a sweet guitar. Everyone I have played since then has also been nice, but I never seem to have the extra few hundred bucks when I find one.

Those Explorers are awesome.

As for the wood, I am pretty sure that the neck is not Korina, it is maple. But I am not sure if the body is solid or not.

10. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I worked at Epi in the mid 90's and picked out a nice V when they first came out-very light, resonant, nice neck (maple) with a good angle. I can't say for sure about the body wood, I don't recall it being a veneer. I put '57 Classics and a Gibby harness in it, great sounding axe. It did have an intonation problem, though-the A and D strings were still flat even with the saddles all the way forward (ABR). A Nashville bridge might have helped, but I ended up dumping it. I wouldn't mind grabbing another if the price was right and the intonation was on.