Epi Les Paul - Comments?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dickie Fredericks, May 12, 2008.

1. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I have an opportunity to pick up a Flame Top 2000 model for what Id call a good price. Really Really good condition. Other than a little dirt its almost perfect.

How do you like yours? Im a Fender guy but I wouldnt mind having this for a little switcheroo...

2. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I love my Epi LP Standard Plus Top. Great playing and sounding guitar and it weighs less than 7 1/2 pounds. Which is a plus for my bad back.

[​IMG]

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

They certainly look nice, I prefer the Gibson LP specials, I have a faded special that I paid $635 new at GC a few years ago, not as pretty but really a better sounding guitar IMO, than the Epiphone pups, I have an Epi Sheraton II that I picked a few months ago, replaced the pups and love that guitar now.

4. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

This is the exact guitar. Same color and top except it has the pickguard. Its a 2000 model and has the plastic tuners...

5. alanfc

alanfc Member

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

They sound way closer to a Les Paul than any Strat, ever, (AFAIK) so represent a great alternative. The pups improved in 2002, I believe.
    Mine sounds good, plays OK, for an LP.

7. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Love mine. They play great but the pickups and pots are a bit low in quality. That being said, I played mine with the stock hardware for the last 7-8 years and have just finally gotten to swapping out the pups.

8. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Yeah, its a Standard Plus. Of course Im gonna change out the pups, switch, pots and jack.

No case but I think for 2 bills it may be a good deal eh?

9. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

You can't go wrong for that price.

10. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Hard to go wrong imo for that price. I've played the hell out of mine over the years.

11. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I called the guy and told him Id pick it up shortly.

Now to order some dimarzios...

Im probably gonna let the singer use it for a few tunes and Ill probably use it for a few as well.

I like my tele for slide but this could do the trick too for the few songs I play slide on. At a show last week the opening acts guitar player had an Epi LP with Bill Lawrence pups in it through a Twin. Sounded as good as can be expected considering the Digitech all in one thing he was using.

Im thinking a Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF in the neck which is what I had in my LP Deluxe that I sold to buy a Warmoth back in '87 Silly me.

12. Bob V

Bob V Member

My nephew's Epi LP had even better fit and finish than my Epi Dot Deluxe Flametop. Understand that the construction is slightly different than a Gibson LP, youv'e got a veneered top instead of a thick maple cap, and possibly a maple neck instead of mahogany. But having said that they're fantastic guitars and are very well made. You know enough to rewire it using quality wire (I had no complaints with the switch or even the Alpha pots, but the jack and cheesy coax had to go) and youre choice of pickups, and you'll be sitting pretty. Maybe a roadrunner or StewMac ultralight not-so-soft case and your really in business.

13. mrgoldtop

mrgoldtop Member

If you are prepared to swap out the electronics, then go for it if its in good shape. Epiphones of that time period were notorious for **** electronics, especially the toggle switch. Plays good i take it?

14. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Great guitar at that price - a little fretwork and the upgrades you mentioned and it'll be a great player. I have some pickups for sale if you need some - Gibson and DiMarzio - LMK.

Another thing to consider is if you add the price of the guitar and the cost of the upgrades you might be able to score a Gibby Vintage Mahogany, or Epi Elitist for the same price range. ;)

15. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Plays great. Its dirty for sure like its been in a bar. The binding is a tiny bit yellowed but thats kinda cool IMO. It has a layer of crud on it for sure but the finish as far as I can tell on the body and neck is like new.

Ill know more once the layer of crud is gone. I forgot how heavy these things are. Weighs a ton. LOL

After my first real guitar, (which was an Epi Flying V-yes I wish Ihad it now. I was 14 then.) I had that Deluxe which was Vintage SB. I had Chris Lukasik put the Dimarzios in there and change the tuners. I was young and dumb eh? Sure route the body for those pups LOL Once I got rid of the Deluxe in I guess 85-86 I grabbed a Strat and thats pretty much all Ive played since.

Anyway Ill post up some pics after I pick it up and clean the crud but its very much like the one pictured above.

16. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

I've got a 2007 Epi LP Plus Top. Swapped out the pickups for some locally handwound unpotted PAF clones, and the thing absolutely screams. My only complaint is that the jack has come a little loose, but no biggie, I can fix that for bugger all $$$.

Sweet guitars IMO.

17. mrgoldtop

mrgoldtop Member

Where are you at in the Carolinas? I'm in Concord

18. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

You arent that far from me. Im in Chesterfield just across the border.

One of our guys in the band is in Mint Hill and another in Charlotte.