1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Epi Les Paul vs Gibson cheap Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gigino, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Gigino

Gigino Member

What is your opinion by comparing epiphone Les Paul (standard and custom) to Cheap Gibson Les Paul like BFG, special faded, Vintage mahogany?

2. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

To me, there is no comparison.

:munch

3. beatnix

beatnix Member

I'd have to agree with Johnnytone. I just went through a 3 month process of acquiring an HB guitar. And my pocketbook had me in the same price range. I also considered Reverend, because I already own 2 of 'em, but didn't have a dealer close enough to hear 'em. Anyway, I just brought home an LP Vintage Mahogany. Great guitar, tone and sustain for days and the made in USA stamp meant something this time.

For what it's worth......YMMV. :)

4. Bob V

Bob V Member

Different animal altogether. Epis look fantastic, mostly because of a select grain figure in the flame tops - they can do that because it's veneer and not a solid maple top (there's also the difference between a glassy polyester finish on the imports and the less durable but can't put a finger on it beauty ofthe nitrocellulose on the Gibsons, but I don't want to take a wrong turn on this thread, so we'll leave it at that). Nothing wrong with the veneer, it looks great, but it isn't the same. Different neck profile. Wiring on Epis is not as well shielded (cheap Chinese cable/wire). Pickups are okay, but even the Epiphone web site quotes a magazine review that says the pickups are brittle compared to real Gibsons. They're a great platform for mods since you don't have to worry about ruining any vintage value - I changed the pickups, bridge, nut, grind and polish on the fretwork, new wires/pots/jack, and rubbed out the thick clearcoat on the neck so it's not as sticky. Very nice guitar, but it isn't a Gibson. Epi elite's make up for some of the differences, but they're getting more expensive.

5. mge80

mge80 Member

Don't forget. It's WAY more important to look good (with that "Gibson" on the headstock") than to sound good.

Image is everything.

Hang that Gibson way down low, splay those legs, and prance in front of a Marshall stack. After that, it doesn't matter WHAT you sound like.:dude:rotflmao:D

6. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

The cheap Gibsons are no better than the Epis. Real LP's start at $1500 and go up from there.

Save up and buy a good one.

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Not true, not true at all. ^

8. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

LP Studio's have the big 59 roundback neck & quality Gibson pickups. Thats THE main difference ... you don't get the big neck with the Epi's...

HT

9. kherman

kherman Member

I'll take an Epi Elitist over a Gibby Studio (and under) any day.

10. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

get an edwards and everybody's happy.

I'm wondering what the somewhat lesser-known newer japanese brands are like quality wise. Burny, Greco, etc. I know a lot of their production has moved to Korea... i'm assuming they would be somewhere between epi and gibson.

11. Johnnytone

Yeah, right.:Spank

12. Johnnytone

The OP asked about Standards and Customs.:AOK

13. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

Sorry. But he wanted opinions. In my experience, the cheap Gibsons are just not worth it.

Ask yourself WHY the bottom end Gibsons are cheap.

14. Johnnytone

Humor me. Have you owned both?

I've owned at least half a dozen Epi LPs (I get them for free through my office). I just recently picked up a LP Studio Vintage Mahogany (again, for free). and it it 1,000,000 times the guitar any of the Epis were.

As a matter of fact, the VM is nearly as good as my Historic.

15. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    My EPI LP SG Custom with 3 Gibson USA AlNiCo pups is Sweet, My Favorite right now is my EPI Black Beauty, True I installed 3 59VooDoo Humbuckers that cost almost as much as the Guitar. But after the setup I'd put this guitar next to any LP sound wise.

Oh yeah I do the legs spread apart thing in front of the Marshall stack all the time
    You wanna make somethin of it
    My Guitar will kill you Mama

Shout out loud, Hit me oh SHUT UP

16. Masa

Masa Member

Depends on how you define "real". To me, the cheapest real LP is probably the G0, and I think it costs more than $1,500.

17. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

Only 1,000,000 times?

18. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I've had lot's of LP's in my 52 years. My LPVM just plain rocks! Full of 100% Gibson mojo...

[​IMG]

19. Last Sunday when I plugged my LP VM into my amp and played a chord, everybody in the band just turned their heads and were like, "WOW"!!!!!
    I have played Epi's, Fender, Schecter and none have come even close to the tone this guitar has. And it plays so well......:) When I go to bed at night now, I lay there and think about when I will get to play my LP again. I want to get my hands on another to have as a backup.

20. JonnyM

JonnyM Member

Maybe some apples/oranges here, but I've been more than satisfied with my last three Gibson "bargain" guitars all $600 or less, and all USA made. At the same time I've acquired a dozen or so imports in the last few years (Fender, Schecter, Gretch, G&L, Hamer, etc, and they are all good, playable, great sounding axes. This is truely a golden age for guitars. The Epi is likely going to consistently be more bang for the buck, even after some upgrades. However, If you've got the funds and the 2 or 3k LP moves you, then why not? Life is short.