Epi Masterbuilt or Seagull S6+CW?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Goldstrat, May 8, 2008.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I am a real rookie when it comes to acoustics and i could use some advice. I am looking for an inexpensive but decent guitar and I have found 2 very good deals. The first is a Seagull S6+ CW for $365 it has a case and the electronics that come in those. The second is an Epiphone Masterbuilt I forget the model number but I think it is AJ500CN or something like that it has a case and no electronics and is $399. The Epi has a Sitka top and rosewood sides and back and the Seagull is Cedar.

I would like to know the differences from anyone who knows and also just what anyone likes or dislikes about either one. They are both real good deals as far as I can tell. Thanks in advance!!!

2. texasdave

texasdave Member

I'll jump in and say you probably won't make a bad choice either way... If you're wanting to use light gauge strings the Seagull might be the winning choice... Generally speaking, both guitars would rate very well in a sub $500 shootout...

3. aquadog

aquadog Member

Seagulls are almost always consistently incredible guitars for the money

4. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

Look into a Blueridge. They will blow both away!!

5. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Seagull pal. Keep your $$$ in North America. Plus, the Seagull is twice the guitar the Epi is.

CT.

6. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Get a Seagull, great guitars I have one a love it ,

7. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

+100 on the Seagull. I have an S6 cedar that I have been using for years. I have had Martins, Breedloves, Taylors, and I have a new Martin OMC Aura on the way but I'm sure I will never let go of my Seagull because it has such a great tone. Different then all of the others I mentioned but great.

8. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

[​IMG]

S6 spruce solid top. Awesome tone.

CT.

9. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I used to have that same guitar and I agree with you. I never played the Cedar version though. Can anyone tell me the difference in tone between the spruce and the Cedar?

10. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

I am going to disagree and go with the Epi. I played literally 50-60 guitars in the sub 500 dollar range about a year and a half ago. IMHO the epi is going to have a more traditional sound and look (with the sitka to wood esp. ) Add an lrbaggs m1 and you are golden! The seagull, which is a great guitar, doesn't have the resale value or vibe (look) of the masterbuilt. In the sub $300 arena I found a Silver Creek to be really incredible.

11. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

cedar is slightly more round and warmer than spruce. Nice smooth midrange sound.

Spruce is fairly bright and quick responding... punchy. Works really well with rosewood which gives you a nice big bassy full bottom and a nice bright top.

neither is more right or wrong it's a personal tonal choice.

12. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Is the Epi solid top? The Seagull is, but I think the spruce is more $$ than that. I know I paid more than that for mine new!!!:worried($600)

CT.

13. WeaserP

WeaserP Member

I've played both and, to me, it's an apple and orange thing. I think they're both great choices if you're stuck on new in that price range. Keep in mind though that the door can open a little wider if you're looking for a previously enjoyed git too - 'specially now. There are some great buys out there if you look.

14. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

I have an Epiphone Masterbilt EF500 and a Seagull S12. I really like both guitars and don't think you can go wrong with either one. The Seagull has a wide neck, so play both to see which feels better to you. The Epiphone is all solid wood while the Seagull has laminated sides and back. Do you ever intend to play electronically?

Glenn D.

15. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

yes the epi masterbuilt is all solid woods including top

16. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I've been eyeing up both of these as well (not the same Seagull model though) to replace my Ovation CL, but they're def a bit different spec-wise. The Epi has a longer scale length (25.5" vs 24.84 on the Seagull), narrower neck (1.68" vs 1.8" on the Seagull), and solid top/back/sides (whereas the Seagull has laminated sides). So if you haven't played either one yet you'd get a much better idea which one will work better for you if you do. I used to own a Seagull 12'er and have played quite a few 6'ers and they tend to have pretty chunky necks as well so that might be another factor to consider.

Lots of praise for them both on most acoustic forums I've been to though so that might be a good place to look for some direct comparisons. I'm considering the new Seagull 25th Anniversary spruce/mahogany model:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-25th-Anniversary-Dreadnaught-Guitar?sku=516401

Solid spruce top & solid mahogany back/sides with gloss finish. I'm not big on the shorter scale length personally, but I can cope with that better than I can a narrow/skinny neck. Now I just need to find a place to try one out in person...

Just my $.02 fwiw.

17. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

+100.
    Masterbuilt indeed.

18. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

Again Blueridge. Unless the sneakers you wear, car you drive or anything else you own is made solely in North America, don't feel guilty about buying a great Chinese made guitar.

19. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Well I just played about 6 different Epi Masterbuilts at Guitar Center today. They were all decent but I liked 2 of them. One of them sounded great but the action was way to high and I don't want to deal with that right off the bat. The prices were all very low on clearance like $329 to $411 depending on model but without cases. They had 2 Seagulls that were the S6 original model for $399. I liked the sound of one of the Seagulls the best but it was but ugly with 3 totally different colored woods on the neck, sides and back and the front. I am probably going to go check out the S6+ with electronics if the guy still has it and if I don't like that one I'll get the S6 original. I have to say the Epi's were all over the board that I played but they all sounded pretty good for the money. I would love to try a Blueridge but can't find any near me.

20. WeaserP

WeaserP Member

Buy the one that speaks to you. Period. And don't look back.