Epi SGLP - new pickups needed...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by a_d_a_m, Apr 1, 2015.

1. a_d_a_m

a_d_a_m Member

Bear with me as you read this. I know little about swapping pickups; I've only ever done it once and just had incredibly dumb (good) luck.

I recently picked up an Epiphone SG Les Paul custom fairly cheap. Looks like this, but not my actual guitar:
    [​IMG]

I love how the guitar looks and plays, but the stock pickups are very muddy and quiet sounding. Since my total investment is pretty low, I'm wanting to swap in some new pickups and really don't know what to do. I'd like to spend an additional $100 or less, if possible. Yeah, I'm a cheapass. :D

I play in a punk/garage rock band and like a tone that is really punchy and heavy on the mids/highs (tone heroes: New Bomb Turks, Humpers, Dead Boys). I want to stick with standard-appearing gold humbuckers to keep the guitar looking mostly-factory. Might consider a gold/black or gold/white humbucker. Just as long as it's hot.

The Guitar Fetish pickups look nice but I don't know which ones would be good to go with. There are also some interesting eBay possibilities of Asian persuasion, but again, no idea which way to go.

The other thing I wonder is, since the guitar has three pickups, what people might recommend I do about the middle one? Leave it stock? I'm gonna use the bridge one 90% of the time, and the neck probably 10% of the time.

Also, I'd like to lower the middle pickup as I find it getting in the way a little bit when I play. I've lowered it as far as I can without any modifications; wondering if I can either file down the pickup ring or buy a thinner one to help me accomplish this?

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

From Guitar Fetish I'd recommend the Dream 90.

I do recommend a P90-ish sound for what you're wanting to play. As for why, ask Mike Ness and Johnny Thunders.

If you want a humbucker, I would recommend against getting a super hot one and get a slightly overwound vintage voiced one. Then use the amp and maybe pedals to push the overdriven/distortion sound.

You could remove it entirely an use a black cover to fill in the spot.

3. a_d_a_m

a_d_a_m Member

Love Thunders, can't stand Ness, but point taken. :D I have a LP with P90s and it's just okay for me.

I really want something that mimics the tone I get out of my black SG. That was a mystery humbucker I put in and I have no idea where it came from. It showed up at my practice spot one day and I just plopped it in.

Those Dream 90s look alright, and similar enough that I could leave the middle pickup and be alright with it.

I know it's vain, but I like the three-pickup look even if I don't use the middle one...

4. Doc3

Doc3 Member

5. a_d_a_m

a_d_a_m Member

While a lot of those look very nice, I need to stress the importance of me being on a budget. I simply cannot rationalize putting $200 pickups into a $200 guitar. If I can upgrade this one affordably (under $100), I will do so. Otherwise, it will sit for a while until I stumble across a stupid good deal.

I have car projects staring me down for the summer.

Too many hobbies, not enough money!

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

You could use a gold empty cover instead of black, either a solid one or one with holes with dummy screws glued in. That would be less than $10 from an eBay Chinese seller. You could preserve the look while losing the middle pickup.

What kind of amp and pedal setup do you use? That might indicate the best route to take.

7. a_d_a_m

a_d_a_m Member

Not a bad idea, but I have individual control of the middle pickup with the way the guitar is wired; it can be turned down. I'm really just wanting to get it lower so it's a bit more out of the way. I'm thinking either a thinner pickup ring or filing down the stock one is probably my hot setup here.

'76 Peavey Roadmaster Super Festival Series head (200w @ 2 ohms)
    custom-made 4x12 cab with Eminence RedCoat Private Jacks
    Boss Blues Driver

That's it.
    We kind of sound like the mid-to-late '90s gunk punk/hard rock/garage stuff that was on Crypt and Estrus Records. Or at least try to. So tonally, that's what I'm after (and have accomplished with my black SG).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  8. a_d_a_m

a_d_a_m Member

I'm not trying to argue; I simply do not understand. If my chief complaint is that the stock pups are too muddy and sound weak (and I've confirmed that the cable/jack are in working order), and I have two other guitars with humbuckers that I like, it stands to reason that a bright/hot set of 'buckers should do the trick, no?

Talk to me like the idiot I am. :D