Epi Valve Jr. clip

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by ultrevex, Jun 8, 2006.

1. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Here's a clip I did of the Epi Valve Jr. head. For an amp this simple, I had to do a LOT of tube tweaking and experimenting to get a good tone. Through most of my cabs, this amp produces a huge low end, so big that it overpowers the rest of the tonal spectrum. I wound up being able to use a Weber C1230-55 in a Fender style open back combo cab to tame the overwhelming bass. The guitar doing 'Adams Apple' is a 335 with Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge, the 'Living Loving Maid' guitar is my Greco Les Paul and the clean ending is the Greco doubled with my strat. The amp was run at 3:00 for everything, all tonal changes were made at the guitar. A little reverb was added in the mix to the Pagey leads.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4041653&q=hi

2. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

I just got an Epi valve jr. What tubes tweaking did you do? I have the same low end dilemma.

3. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

I believe that's got an EH el84 and one of the new tungsol 12AX7's. An Ei brand el84 sounded good but was microphonic. I liked the amp with an old sylvania 5751 pre tube but it took a good bit of the 'oomph' away, which my amp cant stand to lose. Actually, the stock sovtek 12AX7 sounds good in this amp.

Here's an interesting observation. I read one guy's story about how his VJ sounded much better after burning in for a while and I dismissed it as his ears playing tricks on him. Well, after one of my tube swap sessions, I accidentally left the amp on for about 6 hours. Aside from the massive low end, everything seems to gel more with the amp now. It crunches more naturally, it cleans up more and is more dynamic overall than when I first pulled it out of the box. The tubes I swapped in were all used... maybe there is something to this circuit burning in?

Leave yours on for a while, cant hurt anything and it's free!

Also, search for posts from 'Leftee'. He has 2 simple component swaps that are supposed to work wonders on the low end and 'splat' overdrive tone issues. I'll definitely be trying them.

4. hipfan

hipfan Member

The clip sounds great! Thanks for sharing that. That Adam's Apple lick is such a cool one, but you hardly ever hear anyone letting it loose.