Epic bum notes and howlers you have made when playing live ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Telejester, May 4, 2016.

1. Telejester

Telejester Member

I was in a rock covers band and one of the songs we did was over the hills and far away by Gary Moore. During the lead intro to that song I couldn't see a thing because the stage lights were blinding. The intro is solidly in E and I played merrily away at seriously loud volume which meant I couldn't truly hear what I was playing. Whilst I was pulling all the rock faces and gesticulating as I bent and sustained notes, turns out I hadn't noticed I was playing at the 11th position, d# , instead of e.

We always recorded our shows and as all sat around the TV, as over the hills started it sounded like a cat having its nuts removed as I wailed away in the wrong key. Took quite a while for that howler to be forgotten about I can tell you. Let's enjoy your stories that are bum note, mishaps and howler related.

bonegrubber and Turi like this.
  2. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Mine is kind of funny because all of this happened within 3 minutes of the first song, original band.

I had just gotten a Marshall DSL50 back from repair and forgot I had the clean channel's overdrive button pushed in after sound check, so instead of clean, it was a roaring, loud plexi punch, double volume of my clean. Song started with high gain and then had a clean part in the middle.

So as I am playing, I go to switch to the clean part and just get this loud Marshall CLANK, totally blowing everyone out with volume. I look back to figure out what the hell is wrong and see our drummer slowly sinking. He didn't tighten his throne enough and was falling down and trying to keep playing (he was Angus Young size, so all I saw was arms).

Right when I went to take the solo, my strap broke, so I quick caught the guitar mid fall and played it on my knees.

Video would be better, but it was pretty funny.

3. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Hell of a night!!

4. Telejester

Telejester Member

Crikey that must have been a helluva night

5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Worst thing that happen to me technically wasn't my fault. Mid-solo the other guitarist stepped on my lead pulling it out from the guitar. Not a great moment.

6. ohiomatt33

ohiomatt33 Member

Two weeks ago we're playing a new set, and we've just crafted a rippin 90's pop-punk medley (for a country artist). When my part comes up, the band cuts as I jump up on the monitor downstage and start the riff to Lit's "My Own Worst Enemy"......except I have no signal. nothing. nada. Just that "hmm these are the longest seconds of my life, I suppose time may have actually stopped" feeling. I just hammed it and played like nothing wrong was happening, so it still looked fine on the video I saw :rolleyes:

Turns out I had stomped my looper a bit too hard when tuning up during last song, and nudged a solderless cable out between the it and the wireless. Lesson learned.

7. anuj

anuj Member

TECHNICALLY, it was, 'cause you didn't thread your cord through the strap so things like this don't happen. :p

Zezozose, R3deemed, jjohannes and 2 others like this.
  8. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Many years ago, my band opened a set on April 1 with a cover of All The Small Things. I hit the first chord a half step off from the bass player.

9. FFTT

FFTT Member

Try drawing a complete blank right in the middle of My Generation bass solo.

10. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

On a somewhat related note - the bum note at the beginning of Garth Brooks version of shameless is unhearable once you hear it:red

My apologies in advance:cry:

11. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

True, and I always did the thread at gigs, so I'm not sure what happened this particular night.

12. Telejester

Telejester Member

Although I'm sure the audience remembered your band

13. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I recorded a part for a song using a 12 string capoed at the first fret. It involved playing notes on the open E and B strings (now capoed up to F and C) against the same or adjacent notes played up the neck on the D and G strings. The first chord is only two notes but they're played across eight different strings and involve two octaves. It had a very beautiful shimmery effect. The song starts with just vocals and acoustic guitar for a verse, they pause at the end of the verse, then spotlight on the 12 string for 2 measures before the whole band comes in.

It came time for the CD release show and I'm to play this part on the same 12 string -- a Dano reissue with hyper finicky tuning. As the song starts I have it muted it with a TU-2. I check the tuning. Something is way out. I feverishly try to get it tuned while the singer performs the first verse. I get it in tune just in time for my solo. Click off the tuner and play the first chord. It was god awful. In my haste I hadn't noticed the little dot signifying that I was tuning one of the C notes to C#. It was pretty embarrassing.

I recovered by omitting the open string notes for the remainder of the solo and song. I never played that part on 12 string again. I opted from then on to tune the B and E up to C and F rather than capo. I found that faster than capoing and retuning all the strings.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  14. ShomerShabbos

ShomerShabbos Supporting Member

A few years ago I effed up a song so bad in soundcheck that my shoe fell off. It was horrid.

Seriously. True story

15. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I think anyone with a floating bridge has experienced the "try to bend the notes back in tune" thing when they break a string. One night I broke my D and B strings at the same time. It was the last song of the set and I just tried to get through it. We played open ended arrangements in that band, not note for note versions so I had a little leeway to try to get through it. So the bandleader sees I have 2 broken strings and gives me a solo! So I'm bending stuff into pitch and kind of getting through OK, but then I break my A string. So now I only have a low E, G, and high E string trying to play something remotely coherent-well not so much! So the bandleader who is at this point laughing his ass off at throwing me under the bus keeps giving me the keep going nod. So at this point I forgo trying to play anything coherent and start making weird noises. It was painful, but I got through it! At the break some guy walks up to me telling me how awesome it all was, I almost fell on the ground laughing!

16. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

It happens, not a lot but it happens. I usually just give out a Robert Cray howl or a "Woooah", spank my guitar and keep on going. It lightens it up and the audience tends to chuckle along with you.

17. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

Not a bum note, but I did a whole song with my wah pedal on and depressed before I realized what was wrong with my sound.

18. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

When I was younger I got invited to sit in with one of the best blues bands in city at a downtown bar. They were passing around a bottle of Jack and I had too much. Played horribly. I remember they called out Tore Down in B, but to me it sounded like they were playing in C so I basically played the entire song in the wrong key. It was around that time I stopped drinking hard liquor at gigs. 10 years later and I hardly drink at all at gigs.

I've had gear fail, but that's really not something I can entirely control... i.e. someone kicking a cord loose, tube blowing, etc...

19. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Yeah. Recent gig. es335 - broke an E third song in. Was a short set, too.. (12 songs) so didn't bring a spare. Too early to stop too...
    transposed any leads on the fly up a string fine, but I *know* I was a cent flat for a few tunes before retuning... Funny, I'm now treating that guitar like a dog who chewed up a shoe...

20. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

My best "this is a disaster" story.

We're in the middle of a tune and I get to the solo.

I'm pointing the headstock down towards my feet for effect and the 6-inline tuners get caught in my double tied basketball shoe laces.
    I pull the guitar up to normal height and I manage to pull myself off my feet - I totally lost my balance.

I fall flat on my ass onstage mid-song and in doing so pull the guitar cable going into my tube driver and other fx which manages to knock over our drummer's crash cymbal.
    Which lands side on to the cable going from my effects to my amp and pulls it just enough so there's this total silence.

It seemed like it took forever to figure out why my guitar wasn't able to make any sound whatsoever. I think this has been recorded somewhere too.

This happened in the famous 7th Street Entry club inside Minneapolis' famed First Avenue as well.