Epic NGD (Carvin content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Dec 23, 2009.

1. james...

james... Member

New Carvin C66 in sunsetburst.

I just want to say, to all the Carvin haters on here... I don't know what you're talking about. This thing is an Anderson Drop Top killer. Killer Finish. Killer fretwork. Killer action. Killer everything. All top shelf work.

It's also worth noting that I got stainless steel frets. And honestly I don't know what you guys are always fussing over. Yeah, they are a tad slicker. But that's a minor thing and other than that I can't tell a lick of difference from nickel.

Only mods I did was a Dimarzio Air Norton and Air Zone. (thanks gasattack for helping me with wiring)

And of course...pics.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/jbandy10/DSC_1759.jpg
    http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/jbandy10/DSC_17512.jpg
    http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/jbandy10/DSC_17592.jpg

2. blood5150

blood5150 Member

If you ever get tired of it and sell it you will take a beating...

but HNGD!

3. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

"I just want to say, to all the Carvin haters on here... I don't know what you're talking about"

It is because I speak funny language: "Bndkjb djvir, Carvin, rdcksl j kieshfd."

But, yes, HNGD and merry xmas.

4. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Nice! Are there any fret position markers on that thing?

5. Ascension

Ascension Member

GREAT looking guitar bro bet she sounds and plays as good as it looks CONGRATS!
    On taking a beating on Carvins you guys PLEASE just keep talking that stuff. I have made an absolute KILLING in the last few years off of buying older Carvins for a song and then reselling them at fair market. Normally double my money on um!
    Love you Carvin haters on boards like this you guys have put a LOT of $$ in my pocket:dude!!

6. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Actually, the "trashed resale value" with reference to Carvin needs to have a fresh look; for quite a while Carvin didn't move prices up nor did it have anything more expensive/upscale. Since the advent of the (higher priced) carved top guitars, resale values on *all* Carvins have been going up. A rising tide lifts all boats, etc. I picked up three really *really* good Carvins in 2005 for cheap. Those same Carvins today are selling for half again and twice what I paid. In *this* economy.

I think the whole resale thing is more due to Carvin's lack of marketing (and the market's lack of understanding of how good Carvins really are) than anything else. Carvins have been referred to as "incredible for the money" for so long that they really haven't gotten much head-to-head love.

What follows is My Personal Opinion, based on purchases of new Gibson (>$4K), Taylor (~$3K), Carvin ($1350), custom Agile ($1160) and standard Agile (~$200) and a few used guitars over the last four years...

Taylors at the high end are *really* high-end feeling guitars. The attention to detail and the care in construction and in maintaining contact with their customers is all done at the highest possible level. Gibson sells a $1500 guitar for $4000 and they don't take care of their customers. The feel is of a supremely arrogant company squatting on a great market position. Agile guitars are far better than anyone expects them to be and their quality levels keep increasing from year to year. If Kurt were able to take the time to weed out the occasional quality-control escapee via some careful inspection... He doesn't -- they come off the boat, get a label slapped on the box and they go in the mail. But if he did do that, the whole "buying a guitar unseen on the internet" paradigm would change. Between Agile and Carvin, it already has for me. I'm more secure buying a guitar from one of these companies than I am walking out of a guitar center with a guitar I've inspected at the store, because I know that neither guitar denter nor the parent companies will take care of me once that guitar and I are on the sidewalk.

Carvin sells stunning guitars for really good prices. These guitars come out of the box with low action, level frets, gorgeous finishes, high end workmanship and great sound, far more than any other guitar I'm aware of save perhaps Taylor. Taylor and Carvin really pay attention to their woods. I have *never* seen a solid spalted top like this one offered on any gibson at any price:

[​IMG]

And this is a fairly simple DC-135 "Plank" superstrat HSS guitar with a base price of $749. That top added $300 to the price, the burst finish added another $25. That's a neck-through 24-fret 25" scale guitar with low action and a very fast neck. Any guesses what Fender or Suhr or Gibson or McNaught would ask for a guitar with those basic specs? And it's built from scratch in San Diego.

I've got no investment in the company, and I've got guitars that are FAR more expensive (new *and* vintage silliness), but I've also got half a dozen Carvins.

It takes some guts to break away from the herd, and sometimes you get a really good result from it. The sheep *always* get fleeced.

7. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

I love my Carvin DC-150. I tried to sell it a couple of times but I realized that it is my dream guitar that is such an easy and great player. I am glad that nobody wanted the deal I was offering.

8. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

That is gorgeous! BMF + NIN = teh secks! Thinking about a Bolt Plus myself, this may have just pushed me over the edge.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

What kind of wood is that? Carvin does come up with some nice planks.

To the OP, I think the advantage to stainless steel frets is their durability rather than anything to do with how they feel or play.

10. manowar2888

manowar2888 Member

sold my ct4 only due to financial reasons and regret it very much,loved that guitar man.and i didnt take a beating on resale lost about 150.00 to me thats not a beating.

11. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Congrats on the C66! My all time favorite Carvin. I'd still have mine but I just could not abide the Floyd. I'll have another someday.

12. mrrs

mrrs Member

She looks sweet as hell James.
    I have 5 DC series now and hopefully I can find a Bolt to keep them company sometime this coming year.

13. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I put a Carvin neck on an American Standard Strat and turned it from a decent guitar to a great one. I'd recommend that move to anyone. The only caveat I'd offer is that you'll have to drill the mounting holes on the neck - Carvin doesn't do that. So, if you screw that up, you've just bought yourself a very expensive fireplace log because there's not much you can do about it but cry.

14. kherman

kherman Member

She looks great, James!
    Congrats!
    :dude:dude:dude

You'll find nothing but love for Carvin from me.
    I own 5.

As for the SS frets.
    I notice the difference when bending.
    The bend doesn't seem to have the drag you can feel with
    a string against nickel frets.

And as mentioned, the fact you won't need a fret dressing for decades (if ever) is a big plus.
    I have SS on my '09 Carvin ST300 and my '98 Parker Fly Deluxe.

15. james...

james... Member

Side markers yes.

It's quilt maple on alder. The neck is birdseye.

Yeah, but besides the frets being a bit slick I just can't tell the difference from nickel. And I do really aggressive bends so for me this is good.

16. SFW

SFW Member

Carvin makes great guitars. I really wish that I still had my DC127C.

17. Amp360

Amp360 Senior Member

Carvin makes really nice stuff. If they offered more neck profiles I would probably own one - that's the only qualm (aside from resale, but I usually buy used anyway) I have with them.

Congrats on a sweet guitar!

18. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever seen a top quite like that. I'm not usually a fan of over the top wood on guitars, but I like that one a lot.

19. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

20. Valtyr

Valtyr Member

very nice, congrats

i'm also a fan of stainless steel frets, i've had a parker nitefly for about a decade and there is still no visable wear on the frets.