EPIC NGD!!! Pics and G&L content inside...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Delayed Delay, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Full review coming later, but this is easily the most beautiful guitar I've ever owned... EVERYTHING I've ever wanted in a guitar, nothing I didn't. I could not be ANY happier with this... A MASSIVE shoutout to Dave's Woodstock Music for making my dream guitar come true! Dave, you're a trooper and you are incredibly patient with your crazy customers (me included). ;)

UPDATED 2/23/15 (full review):

I've had about 7-8 total playing hours with this looker so far, so I'm ready to review it...

I've honestly wanted a guitar like this for 6-7 years now. But when I saw that metal flake finishes usually cost about $250-$300 more (depending on where you got them from) than standard finishes, I had to keep passing. I finally got to the point where I had made enough from playing a few separate gigs last November to sell a guitar (a separate G&L ASAT Special; tobacco sunburst... meh) and throw in about $1,200 of my own cash to get the guitar of my dreams. Birdseye maple (w/ vintage tint gloss finish), Bigsby, semi-hollow, f-hole, locking tuners... I spared no expense. Everything I wanted on a guitar, I got with this one. So at first glance, I was absolutely stunned - it was perfect.

When I picked it up out of the case, the first thing I noticed was how heavy it was - certainly not the lightest guitar I own. My Les Paul and Legacy each weigh right around 8 lbs, and I'm willing to bet this ASAT Special weighs closer to 9-9.5 lbs. I fully expected, because it's a semi-hollow, to be significantly lighter, but it's not THAT hollowed out; I mean... the inside is basically 1 big cavity, but only in a few places. I'd wager that only 50% of the guitar (including pickup and control cavities) are actually hollow, so yes... it's indeed a semi-hollow. Normally, a heavier guitar would be a slight letdown, but this weight feels just about perfect. I had the guitar strapped to my back/shoulder for about 4 hours yesterday morning and never once did it bother my back or shoulder. I'm sure the Bigsby system adds a decent amount of weight to the guitar, and G&L is notoriously on the heavy side with their Ash bodies, so it actually makes sense at it's current weight.

The playability on this thing is 2nd to none. I have the exact same neck (#1 G&L neck - my favorite) on my Legacy, and it plays beautifully as well... but I honestly think I like the neck on this ASAT slightly better. Yes, the ASAT has a vintage gloss finish (the Legacy is satin), but it actually feels slightly rounder than the Legacy. I wasn't sure if I'd like the gloss finish in my hand, but it's as smooth as glass, and doesn't get sticky like my Les Paul gloss neck (I've got sweaty/acidic hands). It's the perfect neck for me.

Bigsby. I've never owned a guitar with a Bigsby on it, but yes... I've always wanted one. I'm not sure what it is, but every time I've seen someone play a Bigsby-equipped axe, they always have this very warm, gorgeous tone on the bends. A lot of my favorite guitarists just happen to use Bigsby's, so that's naturally a tone I've been chasing. I couldn't figure it out, and I still can't - I've gotten close with my Legacy's 2-point floating trem system, but I felt I was still missing that warmth. It couldn't POSSIBLY be from a Bigsby, could it? Well... it could. I still can't explain why it adds this incredible warmth, but it just does. That tone I was chasing in my head is there at my fingertips now. And the best part? I haven't had ANY tuning instability issues so far. Granted, the Bigsby doesn't dive bomb NEAR as much as a Floyd or the G&L 2 point system would, but still, I've heard of a lot of tuning instability issues for people with Bigsby's, and I haven't encountered any of that so far - returns to tune perfectly, every time - I do have Schaller locking tuners, so maybe that helps a bit too. I love that it's a subtle vibrato effect and not a massive detune that you get with most other vibrato systems; maybe that's where that warmth comes from.

The MFD pickups are my favorite pickups in a tele-style guitar. SO. MUCH. BITE!!! This guitar cuts through like a hot knife through hot butter - perfect for lead. But the thing I think that gets overlooked with these pickups is their capability for warmth. Again, the semi-hollow body and the nature of the Bigsby help out with that warmth, but the pickups are more than capable of providing warmth on their own; certainly not ice-picky by any means.

Resonance. This guitar has it for DAYS.... again... I've never owned a semi-hollow guitar before. Yes, I've owned chambered/weight relieved/etc... but this semi-hollow body and the f-hole really bring out the resonance (I'm not actually sure if the f-hole has any real effect on the sound, but it's purdy. ;)). This is just an incredibly resonant guitar that can only be rivaled by my Les Paul in that category.

And it's got plenty of sustain too - not as much as my Les Paul, but plenty, nonetheless. Yesterday this guitar just blew my mind with how well it cut through and fit in the mix, all at the same time.

That about sums it up. It's the perfect guitar for me, and I couldn't be happier. The weight was definitely a surprise, but it's definitely not too heavy for me. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Specs...

Lefty G&L ASAT Special
    Semi hollow w/ f hole
    Bigsby
    1 ply black pickguard
    Black pickup covers
    Locking tuners
    Birdseye maple neck/fretboard
    Vintage tint gloss finish on neck
    #1 G&L neck
    Standard medium jumbo tuners

And did I mention it's a lefty? ;)

3. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

That guitar is amazing! I absolutely LOVE G&L USA guitars. They're hard to beat in my opinion. Glad you got your dream guitar!

4. Dale

Dale Member

5. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Awesome! Let me know when you're done with it. ;)

6. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

That is sweet!! Congrats!

7. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Wow! That thang is gorgeous! I just picked up my first G&L a couple of days ago, a 2014 USA Legacy, and have to say that I'm totally impressed with everything about it! So much so that I'm already considering my next guitar purchase to be a Asat! Congrats and enjoy!

[​IMG]

8. rmg471

rmg471 Member

Real nice. That finish is gorgeous.

9. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Congrats, nice neck wood.

10. Jah Parsonanda

Jah Parsonanda Member

Lovely, I dig G&Ls ... got two of them ...

11. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

12. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

14. fossilfuel

fossilfuel dismember

Wow, congrats!

I have a couple of ASAT Specials, one in silver sparkle.
    Great guitars and that one is something "special".

15. caspa

caspa Member

That is absolutely beautiful, congrats!

What do the pickups sound like? I've always been curious about them

16. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Thanks! Indeed it is!

G&L is a company that I believe is only recently beginning to get its due. This is the 3rd G&L I've owned, and they have each blown away every other guitar I've owned.
    Thanks so much!
    Haha... Not a chance. ;)
    Thanks man! Much appreciated!
    That is a good looking Legacy my friend! I love my 2013 Legacy - ordered it from Dave's Woodstock Music too; just like this ASAT. The Legacy is the best Strat style guitar I've ever played or owned, and that 2 point floating Trem is sublime.
    Thanks! It's sitting next to me right now, and yeah, they did a tremendous job with the finish - it's stunning to look at.
    Thanks! The Birdseye is gorgeous. I've always wanted a Birdseye neck, but couldn't make myself spend the money. I couldn't resist this time. :D

17. JDutch

JDutch Member

Congrats, OP! Unique and great looking guitar. Enjoy it in good health.

18. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Me too! A 2013 Legacy, and this 2014 ASAT Special. Although I just got it today, I ordered it at the end of November.
    Thanks guys!
    Ooooo... I LOVE me some silver flake! It was between that and the red flake for this one... I'll have to get a silver flake guitar some day, and it'll probably be a G&L. ;)
    Thanks!

These are my absolute favorite pickups on the market. I fell in love with their sound as soon as I heard a buddy of mine play his ASAT Special...

Here's how I describe them:
    SO. MUCH. BITE. Seriously, tons of bite. If you want to cut through the mix, these pickups will get you there.

Also, not surprisingly, lots of clarity. Not quite as much as a traditional tele pup, but more than plenty.

Plenty of warmth too. Definitely not a humbucker by any means, but more warmth than a traditional tele pup.

It's the perfect pickup for anyone wanting to cut through, rock out in an alternative rock context, and/or have a significantly "roided" take on a traditional tele. :)

19. jb's 52

jb's 52 Member

G&L is lefty heaven...
    Congratulations, looks crazy fun and sounds like it sounds killer!

I'll add to lefty G&L pr0n: Legacy HB Natural, changed to stainless steel fret wire and an ebony fretboard.

[​IMG]

20. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

Bass boat sparkle...subtle as a train wreck. Love it!

I've threatened many times to pull the trigger one a righty semi-hollow ASAT but have never gone through with it. That's an outstanding guitar. And you probably already know this, but Rio Grande Pickups makes ASAT-sized units if you ever want a slightly different flavor in that guitar.

Enjoy it!