Epiphany - Ducking Delay (Eventide Timefactor + The Smiths)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by starfish, Feb 22, 2008.

1. starfish

starfish Member

Wow! For all the fabulous delays I have tried, owned and played, I never really got it when it came to ducking delay. I figured it must only be useful for vocals. I was so wrong.

I've been (re)learning several songs by The Smiths on my Ric 12-string. Tonight I was finishing up "The Headmaster Ritual" and I kicked on my Eventide Timefactor to play it through one last time. Most of the delay algos detracted from the wonderful sound of the alternate tuning and got in the way of the rhythm. Until...Ducking Delay. Holy Moley! :eek: I consider the bridge of that tune to be one of my favorite guitar parts ever. It sounds unreal with the ducking delay and the rest of the tune just sounds...right.

Delay time set to 450ms, feedback and filter to taste (mine set at 60 each) and dry/wet level at 40% (i.e. more dry than wet).

2. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Gotta ask . . .
    What is the alternate tuning you were using on your RIC 12?

3. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

The ducking delay is cool, and is similar to some tricks I do with a compressor after a delay. My complaint is that it seems like the Timefactor stops feeding the delay when the ducking kicks in.

The result is that when you stop playing, and the delay comes back into the mix, you only hear repeats of the notes you just played.

4. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

There are basically two ways to implement ducking: one is to decrease the volume coming out of the delay, and the other is to decrease the volume going in. The second way gives the clearest, simple repeat of the last phrase, rather than a hash of everything that went before echoing together; so I can see why that would be the preferred method for Timefactor.

5. starfish

starfish Member

Headmaster Ritual is open E, but to achieve this safely you need to first tune down to DADF#AD (open D) and capo at the second fret which then gives you open E. It is a fun song to play and I feel it encompasses everything great about Johnny Marr - unique voicings, syncopated rhythms, complex (for a rock band) chord progressions, and the whole package comes across as tuneful, slightly melancholic and moving music. Using a classic Americana steel guitar tuning in a major key, he still managed to find his sound without sounding like country music or delta blues.

6. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

Some call it hash, I call it atmosphere...

Another way to make a ducking delay is to leave the delay path unchanged, and manipulate the wet/dry mix.

7. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

That's #1 above.

8. Sid

Sid Member

umm...whats ducking delay?:confused:

9. starfish

starfish Member

It's a delay type that 'gets out of the way' or ducks its level while you're playing, usually implemented per Skreddy's great info above.

10. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

The Korg Tone Works Dynamic Echo pedal from the 90's (dl-301 or something like that) has this feature. They're pretty cheap on ebay and as I remember from back then they sounded pretty good.