• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Epiphany with Suhr single coils....

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I'm sure that many here know this already but this one is brand new for me.

Recently a friend stopped by and I was talking about swapping the MLs in my Suhr Classic Antique for some Duncan Antiquities because I could just never quite get the sound that I want from the Suhr pickups. It's been much closer with the MLs especially compared to the V60LPs but it just wasn't there. The attack was different in a way that didn't satisfy me like many Fender offerings and the Antiquities.

Well, my friend was playing the guitar and it was sounding better and better and he realized that it was his attack. The pickups really started sounding great (and read that as more vintage inspired) as his attack eased up.

Suddenly it all started making sense. I've always dug into the strings with my Fenders for that vintage sound. Strong attack gets it. My friend's Eric Johnson was totally giving up the vintage goods with this approach.

Well, the Suhr just seems to work with a lighter attack. I get so much more of a classic sound from them if I approach the guitar with more control and a lighter attack. Everything starts coming together. I think I always did that as I played the guitar more but I figured that my ears were just getting more used to the sound.

Now that I'm approaching the guitar differently, it's making much more sense and I'm very satisfied with the vintage vibe I'm getting.

Once again I'm reminded that everyone is right when sharing thoughts on this stuff. Our experiences are the sum total of ALL the things that come together to create the sound in the moment.

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! :)

pgurlea

Shallow Supporting Member
Very good observation. It takes a lot of control to lighten your pick attack (I'm learning :) ). The tone results are wonderful. I have been playing many years and recently just discovering wide tonal variations by the pressure of my pick attack. To my ear, lighter pick attack = warmer & cleaner (if overdriven) tone. Listen to the demo of this Suhr Tele - bridge pickup. I shy away from Teles because of the bright tone but I think this demo shows a lighter pick attack warms up a Tele. If your pick ups are in the modern camp, it makes sense a lighter attack would bring out the vintage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=569kWA6WjZ0#t=13
Paul

phillygtr

Pick attack is everything. Kind of related to this is something I heard in a Daniel Lanois interview. He mentioned that one of the secrets he learned from Jamaican bass players he knew was that they would turn up really loud (loud loud amp), but play very softly. Completely changes the vibe of the instrument.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
So what Fender singles have you liked in the past?
I dig the fat '50s and the '69s mainly but I also really like the Eric Johnson and John Mayer pickups. The standard '57/'62s are really nice too. I run them low, turn up the amp and dig it. It's the classic sound for me.

Learning to play different with the Suhr has been eye opening to say the least. :)

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Very good observation. It takes a lot of control to lighten your pick attack (I'm learning :) ). The tone results are wonderful. I have been playing many years and recently just discovering wide tonal variations by the pressure of my pick attack. To my ear, lighter pick attack = warmer & cleaner (if overdriven) tone. Listen to the demo of this Suhr Tele - bridge pickup. I shy away from Teles because of the bright tone but I think this demo shows a lighter pick attack warms up a Tele. If your pick ups are in the modern camp, it makes sense a lighter attack would bring out the vintage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=569kWA6WjZ0#t=13
Paul
I hear you. :) I like that clip too!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom