Epiphone 2020 Les Paul Special

SoPhx

I had a '56 back in the day and a 90s 'reissue' but these seem to be a pretty nice player for the money. Hmmmm...

jbvan

Supporting Member
any problems in the finish of note? What does yours weigh?

No. It was great right out of the box. I just had to lower the action a little bit. Nice fit and Finish.
I haven't weighed it but it isn't too heavy. I am guessing in the 8 to 9lb area.
I will see if I can weigh it tonight after work.

It plays and sounds awesome too!

Raymond Lin

No. It was great right out of the box. I just had to lower the action a little bit. Nice fit and Finish.
I haven't weighed it but it isn't too heavy. I am guessing in the 8 to 9lb area.
I will see if I can weigh it tonight after work.

It plays and sounds awesome too!
did you swap out the bridge to one with adjustable saddles?

dazco

I have one about 3 months now. Great guitar, ridiculous price. One issue tho i dunno that it's an issue but it's very odd and something i just realized recently. The truss rod. I can't imagine in my wildest dreams why this is, but to tighten it and remove relief/straighten the neck, you turn it counter clockwise ! But while thats strange it's not the REALLY wierd part....when you tighten it to straighten the neck the rod goes loose feeling as tho you are adding relief and loosening the rod. Then when you go to add relief the nut starts feeling tighter as tho you are loosening the rod. Itls is so bizarre because how can the nut start feeling loose when you are straightening the neck, the opposite if wghats notrmal. But i checked and checked again and i am not halucinating ! When theres relief i turned it counterclockwise and it starts feeling really loose and the relief starts going away and the neck gets straight. If anyone can explain that i;d love to hear it. I've been working on guitars for near 50 years and i have never seen anything like it.

Now that siad, as i mentioned it;s odd but i can't really call it an issue i guess because it works ! And i can get the neck where i want it which is almost dead straight, and the frets are level the action great so what the heck, eh? Anyways, i had a really nice 2012 gibson special that i have been kicking myself ever since selling it during a financial crisis went thru a few years back. The MSRP was 4 times what the epi is and i cannot say it had anything one the epi. So i bought the epi to replace it. I think the pickups are even better because while they sound about the same, the epis neck and bridge balance tonally and output wise better. No finish flaws, great neck and sound. And i paid, get this.....$375 out the door ! Thats just insane for a guitar that is no less great than that gibson i had and. Weird truss rod but what the hell....it does it's job.

By the way, i would like to hear from others.....anyone else find this truss rod oddness?

dazco

did you swap out the bridge to one with adjustable saddles?
I did, tho it's just adjustable E and B strings and the whole bridge like the stock one is overall adjustable at the posts. I mainly bougth it not because the stock one didn't intonate well, it was fine. I just wanted to change the tone a bit and that did just what i wanted. The stock has a hi mid push i wanted less off. Neither is bad, just personal taste. I may even try the stock one again at a later date and find i prefer it....u know how that stuff goes.

Raymond Lin

I did, tho it's just adjusrtable E and B strings and the whole bridge like the stock one is overall adjustable at the posts. I mainly bogth it not because the stock one didn't intonate well, it was fine. I just wanted to change to tone a bit and that did just what i wanted. The stock has a hi mid push i wanted less off. Neither is bad, just personal taste. I may even try the stock one again at a later date and find i prefer it....u know how that stuff goes.
which bridge did you try out? Can you kinky?

jvin248

You can't go wrong with P90s. Junior is my favorite.

As for the wrap around bridge, you can adjust the angle and position with side screws against the body studs ... However, don't overthink/fear the design "It's close enough for Rock 'n Roll!" applies. Paired with the P90s these are greasy bar room gig guitars. If you're not playing behind chain link fencing nor warding off broken bottle brawls you're not trying hard enough ;)

P90s ...

dazco

thanks, I hope you didn’t need to change the stud but just bridge itself?
It comes with studs but i tried both the stock and the studs that come with it and the stock ones are best IMO for a reason i don't think is particularly subjective...the lows get a bit muddy compared to the stock studs. So yeah, i'd say use the stock ones.

That said however, don't just take my opinion and buy the bridge because i said i like it ! It's YOUR call. You may like the stock sound best. If you however happen to feel it's got a bit too much hi mids then the bridge i linked will calm that. But some like that hi mid thing so u may be one of them. Use YOUR own judgment.

cliffenstein

I have this guitar...mine is unbelievably good. I got a light one, just 7.25 lbs. Huge, huge sound completely stock. Mine intonated correctly and I was able to adjust to very low action with no buzz. I can’t say enough good things about this guitar...it’s sooo great!!!!

Raymond Lin

I went to a store to have a look at this on Sunday, I might be unlucky here because I was disappointed.

I need to pre-face this post by saying that I don't really have much experience with lower end instruments (such a 1st world problem I know...). My lowest end Electric guitar is my Fender Roadworn from 2008, the first run one with the Rosewood Fretboard.

So I went into the store, money in my pocket and with the intention of getting one of these but first I'd thought I give one a try so I asked the guy if I could try the one out on display (it is Covid era after all), I picked it up and sat in a corner and had a go.

First impression, and these are only first impressions I guess, it is that the guitar finished is not what I call TV yellow. The finish is thick, or it feels thick, it actually feels plastic, and the colour is this dull dark yellow/muddy colour. It photographs well but in person it's slightly darker. Also the finish feels sticky, may be it's new but certainly different than what i am used to, even more sticky than my PRS's V12 finish.

The guitar I picked up was light enough, I would guess it was under 8lbs, may be 7.5lbs.

Then I wrapped my left hand round the fretboard....it felt weird, I looked closely and it was because the nut was cut really badly, it was almost an inverted shape to the fretboard like a shallow U so the E strings on both sides are sitting higher than the D & G strings. That totally threw me off, but I also found that even the lowest strings were cut too high in the nut so I was quite sure that unless I get lucky, I need to budget for a setup for sure.

The other thing I noticed was the neck pick up was sitting at a strange angle, or at least the covers was. It was not parallel to the body but tilted forward, so it is like the screws has gone in at a slight angle.

I think it has potential for a good guitar, but the one I tried certainly was one of the bad ones, not something the shop can fix really without some fret job and re-drill that pickup cover.

I might try again in a few months in a different store but my heart might go with a used Gibson version instead.

cliffenstein

bummer...as for the finish...that's just poly...poly has never been an issue for me in the least. There are videos that show this guitar up against the new Gibson version and the overall color is the same on both. TV yellow is known for it's greenish hue. Is it possible you're just used to the TV yellow in photographs but not in person?

Anyway...good luck on the hunt!

Doomrider78

I went to a store to have a look at this on Sunday, I might be unlucky here because I was disappointed.

I need to pre-face this post by saying that I don't really have much experience with lower end instruments (such a 1st world problem I know...). My lowest end Electric guitar is my Fender Roadworn from 2008, the first run one with the Rosewood Fretboard.

So I went into the store, money in my pocket and with the intention of getting one of these but first I'd thought I give one a try so I asked the guy if I could try the one out on display (it is Covid era after all), I picked it up and sat in a corner and had a go.

First impression, and these are only first impressions I guess, it is that the guitar finished is not what I call TV yellow. The finish is thick, or it feels thick, it actually feels plastic, and the colour is this dull dark yellow/muddy colour. It photographs well but in person it's slightly darker. Also the finish feels sticky, may be it's new but certainly different than what i am used to, even more sticky than my PRS's V12 finish.

The guitar I picked up was light enough, I would guess it was under 8lbs, may be 7.5lbs.

Then I wrapped my left hand round the fretboard....it felt weird, I looked closely and it was because the nut was cut really badly, it was almost an inverted shape to the fretboard like a shallow U so the E strings on both sides are sitting higher than the D & G strings. That totally threw me off, but I also found that even the lowest strings were cut too high in the nut so I was quite sure that unless I get lucky, I need to budget for a setup for sure.

The other thing I noticed was the neck pick up was sitting at a strange angle, or at least the covers was. It was not parallel to the body but tilted forward, so it is like the screws has gone in at a slight angle.

I think it has potential for a good guitar, but the one I tried certainly was one of the bad ones, not something the shop can fix really without some fret job and re-drill that pickup cover.

I might try again in a few months in a different store but my heart might go with a used Gibson version instead.
I tried one out in a store recently as well: it was a nicely put together guitar but I hated the monolithic yellow paint covering every square inch of the body and neck. I really wish they'd offer these in some other finishes.

Raymond Lin

bummer...as for the finish...that's just poly...poly has never been an issue for me in the least. There are videos that show this guitar up against the new Gibson version and the overall color is the same on both. TV yellow is known for it's greenish hue. Is it possible you're just used to the TV yellow in photographs but not in person?

Anyway...good luck on the hunt!
Perhaps my expectations were just too high, I did try not let the colour bother me but that guitar at least needed some work by a tech before I would call it playable at least. It would add a couple of hundred on top with fret end dressed up, nut slots cut and a set up (perhaps postage on top). So I think if I take that into account, the price suddenly went from £350 to like £550 so I am forever getting closer to a used Gibson used LP Special. If I look at it from a depreciation POV, the Epiphone will be worth about £200 or something even after all the work whereas the Gibson will always be worth that much if I buy used.

That is of course unless I find a used Epiphone with everything sorted.

Trending Topics