Epiphone 339 question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kleio, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Kleio

Kleio Supporting Member

My local guitar shop has a brand new Epi 339 that they are willing to sell for $350 out the door. Everything on the guitar is great except, the bridge pickup is not working properly. It works fine when the split pickup position is engaged but nothing in full humbucker mode. The guys in the shop guess that it's a loose wire. If that's the case, 350 is a good deal. If it's something more serious, 350 might not seem like such a bargain. Do you think it's just a loose wire or likely to be something more costly to repair?
    Thank you for your help.

2. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I think its worth $350 out the door with a perfect bridge pickup, but thats just me. A brand new one is usually about $450 right? So if you put in the labor and parts to fix it afterwards, it will add up fast if you don't do the work yourself, and it may void any warranty if you buy it as is. If they or Epiphone is willing to fix it free of charge (they won't), then it might be worth it.

Its not like you're taking a gamble on a $2000 guitar, but to me $350 is still money I wouldn't want to spend on a guitar that may end up costing me more in the end than a brand new one, especially if its not usually on my list of "wants."

3. BenAtPerformer

BenAtPerformer Member

Why wouldn't the shop just fix it before selling it? Sounds like a loose solder joint or something - should take only a few minutes to diagnose and repair (even taking into account the more difficult nature of hollowbodies and semi-hollows).

I've never heard of a reputable store knowingly selling a guitar that doesn't work without making any attempt to fix it. It's both odd and lazy at the same time.

4. Polyester

Polyester Member

You answered your own question - I bolded the important bit. It's easily more than $100 in labor to rewire a semi-hollow. They're a gigantic pain in the ass. Probably worth it to the shop to take the hit and sell it as-is, rather than having one of their techs spend a few hours fishing large things through tiny delicate holes.

5. BenAtPerformer

BenAtPerformer Member

A few hours? Are you serious? Any competent tech should be able to rewire that guitar (yes, even a pain in the ass hollowbody) in a few minutes. If I can do it, they can do it. This shop is either lazy, incompetent or both.

Sorry. It's 100% lame to sell a customer a broken guitar. Especially if it's new, since they can get Epiphone to fix it for free under their warranty.

6. CS'56

CS'56 Member

Since it's brand new the shop can have it fixed under warranty.

7. Kleio

Kleio Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. The manager said he'd rather sell it at 100 discount than pay somebody to fix it. It does seem strange, if it's a switch or loose wire, I'm not sure why they wouldn't just fix it themselves.

Thank you again for the feedback- I'll think I'll steer clear.

8. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

I know how to fix guitars. In that situation I would lowball them for $250 or so, and if they said no I'd pass altogether. It probably is something really simple, and wouldn't require rewiring the whole guitar.

9. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

If it's brand new, and the store is an authorized dealer, why wouldn't they just send it back or have the nearest warranty repair center fix it for free? Makes no sense. Sounds like they'd rather just get it out the door than spend any energy on it at all.

10. Crossroads

Crossroads Member

you should be able to get a perfectly good brand new Epi 339 for $350. Just grab a coupon or whatever.

11. Jimmy MAck

Jimmy MAck Member

If it's JUST a loose wire?????? Could be more than what meets the eye. If the store doesn't want to fix it, why would you ?

12. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I would only buy it if I intended to switch out the pickups anyway.

13. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

I really like my Epi ES339... great guitar.
    Picked mine up a while back on CL for $300 including hard shell case.
    It was in pristine condition.

I did upgrade the pickups to 57 Classics. Thought the stock pups were duds.

Personally, If you really like the guitar then I'd offer $300 out the door.

[​IMG]

14. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I'd bet it's a cold solder joint. They look like nice guitars.

15. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

What darkstar11 said. Pretty lazy of the shop not to spend 20 minutes on a fairly simple solder job. I'm no soldering champion myself but even with the added hassle of dealing with the f-hole, it's really not that hard.

But their laziness is your gain. I'd offer the $300, but probably still pull the trigger at $350 - But I already have a soldering iron and the minimal know-how to fix it myself. I recently bought a Epi 339 too, but the P90 model. The switch went out the same day I brought it home, lol. I ordered a Switchcraft and replaced the faulty one myself. Works perfectly. No big deal.

16. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

Yep, I second this. Offer $300, if say agree take it and run. It's more than likely a pretty easy fix (if you have any mechanical ability). Most epi's could use a pup/pot make over anyway. I just bought a used Sheraton last week. I didn't even care if the pups worked because I know ahead of time I'm going to swap them, the pots, switchs, etc all out.