• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Epiphone 339... Who has one?

bluesmandan

I picked up an Epiphone Ultra 339 around Christmas time. It was work to find one in stock, but I finally got one, and in the finish I wanted (vintage burst).

Anyone else picked one up yet?

I'm enjoying it so far. When I received it, I took of the access panel and vacuumed out some debris. Loosened the truss rod a bit. Put a new Graphtech Black Tusq nut on. Got the action and intonation set up about like I like.

It's a pretty good little guitar. The humbuckers are nice sounding. Not super high output, but sweet sounding. The Shadow nanomag pickup is very cool. Gives a bit of an acoustic sound, or like a single coil on steroids. Nice to blend in. Haven't used the USB output yet, though; I've only tested it out once just to see if it works.

Still looking for a hardshell case for one. Haven't found one in stock yet.

Anyway, I like it so much, I think I'm gonna sell my Ibanez AS-103.

Chime in if you've got one. I've been wondering how many other people picked one up.

Last edited:

Iceman6937

I got a cherry es 339 Pro. I like it a lot. Tweaked the relief and intonation and put a Tusq nut on it. Sweet little guitar. I am debating putting a replacement bridge on it since I have run out of room to intonate a couple of strings properly.

Good luck finding a case, most recently Zzounds has pushed the expected date to June. MF does not even have then listed yet.

Polyester

Once the tax return comes in I'm picking up one of these. Or at least pre-ordering since they're out of stock most places.

Debating whether to just suck it up and get one in Natural (expected in stock April-ish) or preorder a Pelham Blue (which doesn't have an in stock date yet and is probably a few more months).

Lucky one

I got one in Pelham Blue - Absolutely Love everything about it. The only
Epiphone I have, all the rest are Gibsons but this thing is so versatile it's my
go to guitar.
Got a case last week from Zzounds.

bluesmandan

Iceman, What bridge are you looking at? I would like to get a bridge with more space for intonation, too. Is there a spec typically listed for bridges that lets you know how much tweakability there is for intonation?

bluesmandan

I wonder if we could install the ghost loaded graphtech bridge, and blend the piezo with the shadow nanomag. Then you would have the harmonics of the nanomag, with the attack of the piezo, and get a VERY convincing acoustic sound. But I can't find a spec on the bridge to see how much you can change the intonation. There should be something listed like a screw length, right?

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
Got the ES-339 Pro in Cherry. Nice guitar, you can read my full review here. Looks like most retailers have dropped the price from $499 to $399 and the spec has changed for the Pro model on the Epi site from Probuckers to Alnico Classic Pro pickups.

If you want a bridge with longer screw throw for intonation, look for a Nashville style bridge.

JackStraw12

I have a CS ES339 that I love, but I am curious about the Black Tusq nut, would you recommend this as an upgrade over the stock CS nut? How is it better?

jamdogg

Just got mine back from a setup (out of the box it did not pass the fret-rocker test). The rosewood fretboard is much darker than the pic, the flash really washed it out - but you get the idea. My friend laid down the custom vinyl on the pickguard (w/clear laminate over it). He did a great job I think.

After a complete setup (nut adjustment, fret level, etc) this guitar plays and sounds fantastic. Does not feel like a cheap guitar at all, very comfortable. I very much dig this thing, with the exception of the electronics.

Luke V

Silver Supporting Member
Great looking guitar jamdogg. I love my fat neck Gibson 339. Is the Epi neck profile the skinny '60's profile?

jamdogg

Great looking guitar jamdogg. I love my fat neck Gibson 339. Is the Epi neck profile the skinny '60's profile?
Thanks. They call the profile slim taper but i find it anything but. Its actually kinda chunky IMHO.

Luke V

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks. They call the profile slim taper but i find it anything but. Its actually kinda chunky IMHO.
Yeah, that's why I was asking, seems that neck profile descriptions are all over the place. I know it won't be fat like what I have but if it's not the skinny '60's slim taper I'd love to check one out. GC, n'or any other music strores near me ever has anything worth while in stock. I may just have to order one and see what I get.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn't rule it out, but more than likely, I won't pop for the Ultra and I haven't seen a Pro to play in person yet.

Not to be shallow, but I have a burst Hamer 335 type and a natural Peerless Manhattan is probably my next guitar. The fact that the 339 isn't offered in black might be a saving grace.

:bonk

bluesmandan

I have a CS ES339 that I love, but I am curious about the Black Tusq nut, would you recommend this as an upgrade over the stock CS nut? How is it better?
The black tusq xl is the best nut I've ever used. Better than bone, better than any plastic thing. It DOES NOT bind. The stock nut on the Ultra 339 was cheapo plastic. Bind, bind, bind. Terrible for tuning. This Black Tusq XL, though, just doesn't bind. It's very slick. Now, I don't know what the regular Gibson 339 has on it... I'm sure it's much better than the Epiphone nut... but it CAN'T be as good as the black tusq xl. If you have a problem with binding or slightly difficult tuning, go with the black xl. Seriously... out of all my guitars I've owned (G&L, Ibanez, Fender, Epiphone, St. Blues, Conn, Yamaha, Gibson, Regal, Peavey, Beard), and the countless others I've played... this is the best nut I've ever used.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah, that's why I was asking, seems that neck profile descriptions are all over the place. I know it won't be fat like what I have but if it's not the skinny '60's slim taper I'd love to check one out. GC, n'or any other music strores near me ever has anything worth while in stock. I may just have to order one and see what I get.
The Epi ES-339 neck is fat. The slim describes the taper, not the girth of the neck, which feels even fatter than it really is due to the shoulders of the D profile. Its definitely more 50's than 60's.

The black tusq xl is the best nut I've ever used.
I've replaced a few nuts with the white tusq xl and concur. I haven't done a ton of A/B versus different materials but its a vast upgrade over the stock nuts in many affordable guitars.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom