Epiphone Blues Custom 30 - what V position does what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RestForYourSoul, Jun 24, 2008.

1. RestForYourSoul

RestForYourSoul Member

I have a groove tubes 12ax7-m in V1 and V2 and other 12ax7's i had laying around in v3-v5.

I was wondering if anyone knows what each preamp tube position does what exactly?

I had Mesa Boogie 12ax7's in V1 and V2...moved those over to V4 and V5 and put the GT 12ax7-m's in V1 and V2. I really liked what that did for the amp.

Also, I've had the amp plugged into an Avatar 2x12 open back loaded with a Weber Alnico Blue dog and a G12H30 and disconnected the stock speakers. These speakers made the amp sound sweeter to my ears too. I'll probably end up moving those two speakers out of the Avatar and into the BC30.

2. ac30

ac30 Member

I just put new TungSol 5881 Reissues and new TungSol 12ax7's in all 5 pre slots. The thing sweetened up very nicely. But like you, I have no idea which pre is which.
    Also, did you swap out the rectifyer tube? I have no idea what that might do to the tone.
    Next up will be a set of Weber AlNiCo Blues.
    I'm really liking this beast.

ac30...

3. RestForYourSoul

RestForYourSoul Member

I had a Mullard GZ34 in my Dr. Z RxES that i put into the BC30 to try it out. I'll have to put the stock rec tube back in to actually tell what it did for tone...i'll do that soon and let you know.

4. richey88

richey88 Member

Thinking about one of these......how do y'all like 'em?

5. RestForYourSoul

RestForYourSoul Member

sorry i took so long to reply Richey...i forgot about this post. i've been playing my dr. Z RxES for the past few months and just started playing my BC30 this past week. This sounds insane but I may like the vibe i get from the BC30 a tad more than the RxES. I just can't seem to tame the highs on the RxES. Even though the BC30 is a very bright amp, i seem to like the tone very much. It may be that i like the tone of the 5881's in the power section more than el84's. I've only had el84 amps until this BC30.

I put a G12H30 and a V30 in it. I'm diggin it. I might try swapping out the V30 for something else...typical V30 shrill-ness i guess.

I don't even use the drive channel. It seems very thin compared to the clean channel so i just run my danelectro CC trans overdrive in front. Actually i set the volume knob up around 1-2 oclock on the amp and use the volume on my guitar to clean up the tone. For whatever reason, this amp is teaching me how to do this even better than my Z did. Maybe I'm just not a good enough player to use a Z as my go-to amp yet.

For the most part, I'm playin a Fernandes MIJ Tele('62 copy) through the BC30. I also have an ASAT Special but there's something about tradition tele-style pickups that i like. Roll the volume and the tone knob off a little on the neck pickup and it sounds soooo sweet through this amp.

I dont have an excessive amount of gear and havent played through a ton of boutique gear other than my Z's that I've had, but for what its worth, i really dig this amp.

I got mine off ebay for around 300 plus shipping so that might have something to do with it :D

The only real issue I'm having is trying to find the "perfect" tone from this amp using the interactive EQ setting. I like the sound of the interactive switch engaged, but it seems that it just takes some time tweeking the knobs to get the right tone for my mood. Hope this rambling helps somebody.

6. richey88

richey88 Member

Better late than never.....had a chance to get one for $400, shoulda jumped on t, but my bad back made me think about it too long. Heavy beast!!

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

V1=1st gain stage
    V2=2nd gain stage
    V3=reverb driver/send
    V4=phase inverter
    V5=reverb return